High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

To replace seals or not?

Chainganger

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I purchased a minty 1997 husky 257, replaced spark plug and fuel line and filter, it is working fine but I am worried about the crank seals. Should they be replaced or leave well enough alone!
I do not have the tools to vac/pressure test.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's minty, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The main killer of seals is the combustion process, which produces waste products that degrade the rubber or neoprene.

The other killer of seals is aged/old gas, which has a vitrifying effect on the seals themselves.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fresh gas can sometimes swell the seals back up again. Perhaps even run a bit of ATF through the mixture to get a bit more 'seal swell'.

Leave it for a few days and try again. It may come good.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the saw idles fine, leave the seals alone.

When they start to go, you’ll find yourself richening idle and then not being able to get saw to idle correctly at all.

Unless they tear, it’s unlikely you’ll get any engine damage from their demise. Should be able to just swap em out.

Chainganger

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If the saw idles fine, leave the seals alone.

When they start to go, you’ll find yourself richening idle and then not being able to get saw to idle correctly at all.

Unless they tear, it’s unlikely you’ll get any engine damage from their demise. Should be able to just swap em out.

Thanks! My whole life I have been prone to fixing things till they break. I will leave them and pay close attention to my tune, which is perfect for now.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll know if and when the seals are on the demise .What ever floats your boat.Change them if you feel it needs it or wait until you know it needs them . I've got an S-25 Poulan I bought brand new around 1974 that runs most likley better today than it did factory fresh .I had that saw over 35 years before I rebuilt the carb and have never replaced the seals .
Of all saws probably the worst seal eater is the famous Stihl 020/Ms200T .This saw which which was born to be a hot runner uses caged roller bearing main bearings which have a fiber thrust washer built into the bearing .Unlike a ball bearing which can take a lot of side thrust a roller bearing can not .The results are the power take off side becomes sloppy and eats up the seal .For years people who owned them thought it was the Jama C1Q carb but it was not .Stihl being Stihl never acknowledged this design flaw .