High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Tips and tricks for working on saws

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
5:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I know that some of the pros will know how to do these types of jobs really easy. But for the less experienced this is my way of helping others.

On 200Ts and perhaps other small saws the clutch nut is 13mm with precious little gripping area. It's pretty easy to slip and ground the hex if you ain't careful when trying to get the clutch off.

To avoid that scenario I grab an old bar, and spare nut to space out the bar nut away from the unthreaded part of the bar stud. e.g.

2017-12-31 11.22.08.jpg
Then lob it in the bench vice and tighten down. Note the boot lace is already in the cylinder ready. Note that you can use a newish bar, but pad the bar with wood, and don't clamp on the bar groove.
2017-12-31 11.30.33.jpg
And now here's the trick in action.

That's a pal's 200, and yes, this is the first time I took off the clutch on it! Note the powerhead is kept close to the vice jaws to minimise bar bend since to hold the hex on a small saw like this, I direct some force down the crankshaft axis. Hope this one helps someone out.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most sockets have a little chamfer .If you take a deep well 6 point socket and grind back a little passed said chamfer with a belt sander to can "gain purchase" on the hex nut thing .It would have been nice if Stihl had added a little more nut to begin with but Germans being Germans that's just the way they do things .

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It would have been nice if Stihl had added a little more nut to begin with but Germans being Germans that's just the way they do things .
Indeed. The 200t's clutch hex is particularly nasty.

However yesterday I had to pull off a clutch on 036, and the previous muppets had forgotten/mislaid the cover washer, so boyo was that clutch nailed down hard. The vice trick made it a lot less stressful :)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know I figured it out a long time ago .I've worked on countless numbers of German made machinery besides chainsaws .The mind set is to make a well designed machine then complicate the damned thing so much the average mechanic just throws their hands up in surrender .One thing they failed to realize,Yankee ingenuity ,we never surrender .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had clutches so tight I had to put a 3 foot cheaper pipe on the end of a breaker bar to shake them loose .None were 020/200T's though .

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
6:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Tighten your clutch correctly.
I know some just put the clutch on by hand start the saw with the brake engaged.
I know some folks that killed their crankshafts with those hillybilly methods.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha ha! I'm a brit, but I'm stubborn as f**k. :)
I've been on British motorcycle sites .It seems to me you Brits are just as stubborn as us Yanks .Completely from scratch make piston rings plus the honing cylinders to perfectly lap them in .BTW my grandfather was born in Nottingham England .Great granddad from Liverpool .I couldn't understand about half of what he said .Might as well have been Chinese to a 12 year old .

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
BTW my grandfather was born in Nottingham England
Coincidence or what!! My mums side were from Nottingham. Nice part of the country.

Great granddad from Liverpool .I couldn't understand about half of what he said .
10-4 on that one. Most brits ain't got a clue about scouse either....
:risas3:

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tighten your clutch correctly.
Oh yes! I learnt that sh!t the hard way on Japanese bikes 30 year ago. Losing flywheels or internal gear selectors (on a holiday to Wales) due to faulty tightening were my "favourite mistakes" :)