Tips and tricks for uniform rakers

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats just the tip of the iceberg ...........

LOL -- you must have quite the collection of toys.
Not to derail the thread -- only electric I've got is an old Mini Edge 540 from E-flite that drops like a stone when it slows down.

Someday I'd like to get my Laser 200 back in the air -- it's got a Zenoah G-62 (same as redmax backpack leafblower engine) need a better radio setup.
Once my kids are off to school I'm going to make it point to spend more time on saws and planes.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know this is an old thread, but if your digital happens to be off it can be checked with a level and square if it is off, you can simply remember how far off it happens to be and subtract or add the difference to your final desired angle. Same with not being able to re-zero to other than a 0* angle. Simply measure the angle of the surface you are filing on, add your desired angle to the actual angle and you have what you are looking for. All of this can actually be done w nothing but a square. Almost all of us have a Swanson speed square or copy of such somewhere. All of the angles can be calculated using it, that handy little blue book it came with and a straight edge.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This cheap Tecomec grinder is modified with a new vice and Silvey style pawls. The vice holds .002" tolerance and is shimmable for different gauge. I didn't get the right angle on the pic to show well, but the wheel is profiled with a diamond to match the correct contour of the OEM grind.

umz6e.jpg

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This cheap Tecomec grinder is modified with a new vice and Silvey style pawls. The vice holds .002" tolerance and is shimmable for different gauge. I didn't get the right angle on the pic to show well, but the wheel is profiled with a diamond to match the correct contour of the OEM grind.

umz6e.jpg
That is nice! Can you show us a picture of the stone near the raker being ground? Love to see how you dress the profile too.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is nice! Can you show us a picture of the stone near the raker being ground? Love to see how you dress the profile too.

I don't have a pic of that. I just bring the wheel down close to a factory raker and relieve the wheel with a diamond to match the contour. The vitrified, (pink wheels) are pretty hard and hold up well although they generate more heat than the resinoid which I prefer. The latter run much cooler but are dustier and wear faster. On the Silvey 510 the resinoid wheels are so much bigger the one last wheel lasted 4 years.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
on a new chain first thing i do is file all of the riders with a sharp file and take three nice flat even strokes then one on the leading edge to round it off a little. I have done it for so long i can look at them and tell if i have taken enough off see if they are low enough then i grind the chain to my angles. that is my set up for hardwood which is pretty good in almost everything. if it doesnt cut well enough or the chips arent big enough i take another swipe with file