Tips and tricks for uniform rakers

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty happy with the center drop depth gauge tool from Oregon. I have the 0.025 one. I like to flat file a stroke or two and then check with tool instead of filing while tool is on there so it doesn't blunt the points of the saw teeth. A lot of times I'll check depth gauge, file a stroke or two or three knowing I'm going to touch up the cutters, then file the cutters and final check w/ tool being careful not to wreck the nice points on the cutters. If I get a bit deep on depth gauges I just file teeth w/o touching depth gauges and re-check.

My brother and his step son are usually psyched to cut with a saw I've just sharpened... prefer filing 3/8 over 0.325, but seem to do pretty well with both!

When cutting pine for the sugarshack I'll go aggressive on the depth gauges just to throw some big chips for fun.

Someday I'd like to try converting some chain to square file and get further into that craziness.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use this and round the profile after finished.
Husky_Depth_Gauge_tool.jpg

Sometimes use the file guide too.
depth_gauge_guide.jpg

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
2:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought one of the Oregon drop down deals and really only use it to check one before I file them. Once I check it I'll file it and recheck and take the same amount of swipes off each one. It has worked very well for me so I'll stick with it.

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For years I just profiled them using the wheel of the grinder. Lock the motor in the uprite position, turn on, and take a little off.
I still wanna know if anyone can get all there cutters the same length on the same side?

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For years I just profiled them using the wheel of the grinder. Lock the motor in the uprite position, turn on, and take a little off.
I still wanna know if anyone can get all there cutters the same length on the same side?
I never do! Always trying to compensate but end up with more off the teeth on one side. I don't seem to have problems with it wandering in the cut. Made many cookies with uniform thickness for friends who burn various art into the wood.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
?
I get the cutters the same length on both sides. A big reason for using a grinder.

I grind the depth gauges on one side, then check, adjust, and grind them on the other side, since the wheel hits them in different places.

Philbert

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually do a couple of swipes, then put a flat file on top of the chain and use a feeler gauge to see where I'm at. Once I find out how many swipes to take off, I go around the chain. One swipe with the flat file to round off the raker after I'm done. It's not necessarily accurate, but has been good enough for me.