Timber Tuff CS-BWM ... 3/4 chain ?!?!?

RockySawz11

OPE Member
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
good evening gents,

this is my first time posting in a long while and i have a few questions for you guys that sharpen harvester chain.

i have a timber tuff cs-bwm grinder ... i have sharpened alot of regular saw chain and a lot of the 404 harvester chain with the thing. i have now gotten a small sharpening/maintenance contract with a local logging company to take care of their harvester chain. no problem doing the 404's ... but the 3/4 will not fit my grinder?

anyone have any ideas? ... is there an adapter kit that i need? ... do i have to modify the clamping vice?

the contract is not big enough to warrant purchasing a dedicated 3/4 grinder ... ?

thanks in advance,
shane d.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe. I was able to modify my Oregon 511A to sharpen big chain like this. In fact, mine might have been even bigger chain with close to an inch in pitch for a $20,000 cutoff tool used by loggers who would sometimes buck cut 36" cottonwood logs. The same tool had a picker crane and could load the logs right onto a flatbed. I bought a 1/4" thick grinding wheel for the 511A, but I imagine 3/16" thick would have worked also. The chain loop was at least ten feet long (circumference).

I recall that I removed the stop on the sharpener that worked for typical chain saw chains. Being so heavy, it was rather easy to hold the monster chain in the slot and sneak up on the grind. Not sure what the gauge was, but the 511a had enough adjustment room to handle it. After I sharpened it, that tool could throw chips 40 feet.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a Pic of a cutter link on the big chain that I sharpened with the 511A. The pitch is a tad larger than 3/4". I measured it at 49/64" 0r 0.77":
Big Chain Cutter.jpg
The owner gave me this cutter as a souvenir. The penny gives you an idea of how big it is. As I recall, the loop had about 80 of these cutters on board.