High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Tight Ash

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I spotted a dead ash just off my main trail this week and took it down yesterday. Most of it ended up as firewood but there was a nice 8' stick I saved for lumber. I sawed it into some 3.5x stock.

Turned out to be some pretty cool stuff. The tree was only 11" DBH, but it was over 90 years old, so the growth rings are extremely tight.

Sorry about the pic quality. I'm getting a new phone pretty soon.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A bit if ash trivia.When they selected baseball bat stock they wanted 11 to 13 growth rings to inch if I'm not mistaken .

I have somewhere between 10 to 12 thousand board feet laying in logs .The smallest around 18 up to about 36" and probably at least that much I haven't cut down yet.
I feel it's worth saving for lumber because once it's gone it will be gone.Even if it does recover it will be in our great great grand childrens era if that soon .

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A bit if ash trivia.When they selected baseball bat stock they wanted 11 to 13 growth rings to inch if I'm not mistaken .

I have somewhere between 10 to 12 thousand board feet laying in logs .The smallest around 18 up to about 36" and probably at least that much I haven't cut down yet.
I feel it's worth saving for lumber because once it's gone it will be gone.Even if it does recover it will be in our great great grand childrens era if that soon .

I never thought of it that way. That's a hell of a point.

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Good for you! Better get to sawing! Luckily the EAB hasn't made it here yet, so all of mine are still standing and growing. I've got one in excess of 4' diameter on the east end of my property.

This one was around 32":

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I've got a few thousand BF sawn stickered and stacked myself. Not all ash - there's probably more black walnut than anything else.

image.jpg

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man I love those Ford tractors!! Fords always seem to able pick up way more than they should. Around me any farm equipment auction away had a Ford to unload stuff.
Very nice looking setup!!

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Great point! I need a bandsaw mill....