Throwaway Saw

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The serial number starting with a 4 was standing for Made in China in the past. Now, China is serials starting with 8 I think. On current accu machines, the serial starts also with a 4, but this means Made in Austria in these cases.

US production was starting with a 2 in the past until the range was empty. Now US production starts with a 5.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The serial number starting with a 4 was standing for Made in China in the past. Now, China is serials starting with 8 I think. On current accu machines, the serial starts also with a 4, but this means Made in Austria in these cases.

US production was starting with a 2 in the past until the range was empty. Now US production starts with a 5.
Do you think the 024 was ever made in China ?.... Even though this saw shows 4 its normal to see USA or Germany as place of manufacture.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don`t think so that the 024 was ever made in China. But who knows? I only know of Germany and the US.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After hunting around for the best deals the cheapest I could find I ordered all the parts I need for the ms170.
It came to $155 AUD that includes a Stihl 16" bar and chain.
It was to costly for me to get the Piltz hot rod kit bummer if it was cheaper I would have got it.
It would have been a good test for the hot rod kit 30cc pulling an 18inch bar buried in Aussie hardwood lol.
20190624_230050.jpg

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After hunting around for the best deals the cheapest I could find I ordered all the parts I need for the ms170.
It was to costly for me to get the Piltz hot rod kit bummer if it was cheaper I would have got it.
It would have been a good test for the hot rod kit 30cc pulling an 18inch bar buried in Aussie hardwood lol.
View attachment 187738
Hot rod Kit !:facepalm: LOL...wouldn't even put that on the Ms 250 ..15in very common size up to and including 50cc saws in UK.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 187738

:risas3::risas3::risas3: I would love to know how much that *f-word stick drinks and smokes

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
10:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had some free time to have a look at this little saw today..
Ok here's what I found... (It had no timing advance stock timing I never touched the timing).
Last few times I used this saw it would kickback on start up like violent almost pull the pull start out of ya hand I didn't remember it doing that before has been a few years the last time I run it.
Anyways I found one of the problems it has stripped the flywheel key.
There would be a few guy's that would of picked up on that having a chuckle to themselves that was the popping sound in the vid easy to spot if you know what the cause of that popping is lol lucky me I do now 1st time I've even incounted this myself.
Now I get what they are talking about with Dim Sim saws or whatever his name was with his popping saws with to much advance.
Few pics as you can see all looked good from the outside I didn't realise the flywheel had slipped under the nut and washer even the threads on the crank still lined up lol.
Whatever happened in there it's a mess in the flywheel it was way out.
View attachment 187457 View attachment 187458 View attachment 187459
i reckon someone has had a go at grinding the key thinner for sure, the left side looks deeper from the burr. then didnt do the flywheel up tight enough and a few starts later the key sheared.
also try this mob for parts. i have used them heaps. http://www.ebaystores.de/saegenspezi

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are right Vince having a closer look at the keyway I must of did that grinding it was about 7-8 years ago I was in this saw my memory is not very good anymore.
It only started playing up when I pulled the saw out again a few weeks ago that must of been when it stripped the keyway.
I put this stock flywheel back in it now.
20190625_141930.jpg

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it runs needs to be tuned better was just happy having it run agian I'm still over it but it runs with no bloody popping! Lol..

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well it runs needs to be tuned better was just happy having it run agian I'm still over it but it runs with no bloody popping! Lol..
Thats a real improvement from the last vid....issue found ,aaaaand now on to some saw you like more :D

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats a real improvement from the last vid....issue found ,aaaaand now on to some saw you like more :D
Yep get these little saws sorted then move on to my big saws they all need going over.
I ripped my rotorcuff couple years ago couldn't even start a saw for about a year but was good that injury got me out of the gut busting timber industry. I can actually bend down and take my boots off at the end of the day nowaday's lol

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep get these little saws sorted then move on to my big saws they all need going over.
I ripped my rotorcuff couple years ago couldn't even start a saw for about a year but was good that injury got me out of the gut busting timber industry. I can actually bend down and take my boots off at the end of the day nowaday's lol
Thats a real nasty injury ! I did a bit of hand cut softwood thinning some yrs ago so I get what you mean about the end of the day.
What are you into now ?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here it is in that hard crap
LOL !! you did that on purpose balancing it for a fall at the end of the vid I bet , Lol.
Like chalk and cheese now from the issues at the start of this thread.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL !! you did that on purpose balancing it for a fall at the end of the vid I bet , Lol.
Like chalk and cheese now from the issues at the start of this thread.
Yeah guilty I did that balancing act on purpose lol

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
9:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Parts are slowly showing up for the blown up ms170 I'm going to give the low pro 0.050 gauge chain a try never used it before I got a 16 and 14 inch bar to try in chisel Stihl chain I don't know much about baby chain I only used .404 for work chain the last 25 or so years I just used whatever these little saw's came with not putting anymore thought into it have more time to experiment now days.
I've only used the 0.043 on my ms170 before no complaints just try something different will it pull it in Aussie hardwood I don't know as yet? lol..
Not sure what the go is with the bars and chains they were cheap $28 for 14" bar and chain and $32 for 16" bar and chain apparently Stihl but what's the go with the made in China sticker? lol
View attachment 189451 View attachment 189452 View attachment 189453
Both your chain and bar are knock off...

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Watto

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone else seen this in MS170/MS180's ?
I've seen a few of these now mainly new style

I dont like the design

Attachments

• IMG-6948.JPG
    IMG-6948.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 13

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone else seen this in MS170/MS180's ?
I've seen a few of these now mainly new style

I dont like the design
I've not done enough testing with the new style filter to know how good they are as yet.
The only thing wrong with the old filters is sometimes the cover doesn't catch the hole filter and a corner will fold up letting in lots of sawdust.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A dead standing Ash that i took down gave me the chance to use 2 entry level saws that I like/have and work on for customers.
Now the ms 170 is not the current version (2 mix engine) but is more or less new even though its a 2002 yr saw. This one qualifies as the "Throwaway" part of this post as it came to me for nothing after it had sat for yrs with old fuel in it and the customer just didn't want to pay to have it fixed. Sold him a bigger saw anyhow as his needs had changed .
The idea was "Just to go and cut some wood" (swapping back and forwards between them) with 2 bottom of the range sort of saws that most just have no interest in using.
Photo1534.jpg
The Starting point.
The max was 300mm down to 30mm ...just the typical UK sort of a tree for firewood.

Photo1535.jpg

Photo1536.jpg

The End ...after 2/3rds of a tank through each saw.
There are differences between even these two lowly saws ..but...there were no dramas , no problems with stopping and starting on a 26 c day in the sun. Just 2 well mannered (both only have a stock looking exhaust mod ) decent cutting , cheep to buy and run saws.
This was never about if one was better than the other ....they run different and feel different ..."because they are a different designs"
They are just a example of what Dolmar and Stihl do/did as the starting point.
If you can try both for yourselves then you will see and feel how different things can be ..even at the bottom.
I cut wood...I enjoyed the process ...I have wood to burn ...job done.

Last edited: