High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Throwaway Saw

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
We have the Makitas for reasonable prices nation wide. Lots of hardware places sell them. Bunnings currently has the ea3200 for $299. No Dolmar branded stuff sold through dealers here though, just Smurfs.
Last time I looked, an MS170 could be had for AU$249 at most Stihl outlets, including Mitre 10. At $50 cheaper than the Makita, it'd be my pick.
The cheap Husky here is the 236 :(
Echo/Shindi are going through a transition here, as the dealer network collapsed! Briggs & Stratton have taken it over, but I've yet to see any Echo/Shindi saws back at small OPE shops. You can buy Echo saws at Bunnings now, although most of it is "special order". I love Echo saws, so this is extremely bad news for me personally.
Our emissions laws change as of the end of June & the cheap Chinese saws will no longer meet them. There are some bargains about in the "throw away" category ATM because of this. I bought a 25cc Chinese Zenoah TH knock off, brand new for $69. I stuffed around with it & got it to run half decent, but have no illusions about what it is.
Yup..the 236 can be "troublesome" ! Lol
Its easy to forget that where we all are in the world has a big impact on what we have to chose from as well as there being some price differences . The entry level saws from most makers here tend to be close on price but its always easy to get Stihl and Husq due to them being ..Everywhere !

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did a little to the muffler on the 170 cleaned up to luvers so they flow better and drilled some of the holes in the muffler itself a little bigger I didn't do to much not having a high or low to tune it.
They are a tuff little saw for what they are being a cheap homeowner saw and all. Not a throwaway saw in my experience with them any problems with them I'd say are operator error or asking to much from them like starting a firewood business with a ms170 lol.
View attachment 183504 View attachment 183505
What you were doing in the vid with a 170 is perfect for there capacity , looked like some hard dry wood in the mix as well. I did try opening the holes up to make a slot and then bending the louvers to give more flow...worked ok and seemed not to become over lean with the fixed jet carb. I don't mind that carb as often they just need a new carb kit if the saw is still on its original . One thing I have found....some of the "non OEM " carbs have a little more flow on the H jet than the OEM carb.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you check that little screen in the carb for saw dust? That plugged up makes them run all wonky.

I have a few and I know a lot of folks her got the Earthquake saws when they could be had for like $40 shipped to your house. I still use two of them. Work good for beater saws, to keep on the trailer or work work in the yard to just trim a branch.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't really know what dealer's we have down here apart from Stihl and Husky I'm in a small country town we used to have two good dealers Stihl and Husky but they closed down now we have a motorbike shop that sells Stihl saws on the side.
I took a ms661 into them and said can you plug this thing in and tell me what the bloody hell is wrong with it? they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
Thats the thing with the lack of a full dealer support ...much more important to you if you have the M trons.
You in some sort of timber trade by the way?
How is the mail order situation in AU...we "have to collect" (supposed to anyhow ..Lol ) Stihl saws from the dealership.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The line up my Magpie mate even approves of the little Stihl's lol
The ms211 is a tank compared to the 170 and 180 but it has grunt, the trigger is heavy on off throttle for a long time will cramp your trigger finger well does to me.
The AV springs are floppy as but I have a fix for that now.

The updated slimmed down ms180 is nice so far thought it was time to get one before you can't get them anymore, I didn't want a strato ms181.
Yes I know some people hate the little homeowner Stihl's but myself I've had a good run with them they are what they are I didn't buy them with the mindset I'm buying a pro saw for a few hundred bucks I know there intended use and limitations.

View attachment 183508 View attachment 183509 View attachment 183511
Be interested to hear what you think on how the Ms-180 2 mix runs in comparison to the older design "non" 2 mix 170 motor.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Be interested to hear what you think on how the Ms-180 2 mix runs in comparison to the older design "non" 2 mix 170 motor.
What's a 2 mix? I thought the newer 180 was the same under the hood as the 170 I've not even taken the top cover off yet lol.
I'll get back to you tomorrow to answer your other questions is late here I'm off cheers.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What's a 2 mix? I thought the newer 180 was the same under the hood as the 170 I've not even taken the top cover off yet lol.
I'll get back to you tomorrow to answer your other questions is late here I'm off cheers.
The ms 180 with the shape top cover yours has (there is a older one with the same top cover as the 170) should have the newer 2 mix style engine .
Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 15.33.28.png Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 15.34.09.png

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I stick to 017 and mostly 018's 0r 018-C. The 017's get sailed. Had one 180, turd it was. Chop out the rectangle area exit and put back the screen and outlet cover. Runs right after that.

My Husky 435 has been flawless. At least a dozen chains worn out. The rest is factory stock. It is due for a sprocket soon. Does not get much use like the 018's did. Much better AV.

One of the 018's is getting rebuilt this year for tops put down chopping and small limbs on the ground. Going to mod it while I'm inside. I really don't expect much from it. My 260 is begging for hacking that turd. Don't run 250's or similar. Bad AV and poor power to weight ratio for my needs. Great for home owners and the ham-fisted user.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For about 20 years we had the plastic body/non-AV Poulan 2000 series rear handle saws. I have had a few of them and put alot of hours on them, they gave up nothing to low end Stihl or Husky other than the lack of AV. Super easy to fix, cheap parts, great choice for a low cost saw.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you check that little screen in the carb for saw dust? That plugged up makes them run all wonky.

I have a few and I know a lot of folks her got the Earthquake saws when they could be had for like $40 shipped to your house. I still use two of them. Work good for beater saws, to keep on the trailer or work work in the yard to just trim a branch.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Not had time to pull the carby off yet but good point I'll deffontly look if that screen is blocked.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For about 20 years we had the plastic body/non-AV Poulan 2000 series rear handle saws. I have had a few of them and put alot of hours on them, they gave up nothing to low end Stihl or Husky other than the lack of AV. Super easy to fix, cheap parts, great choice for a low cost saw.
The older Poulans were probably made to better specs that little black saw is nasty in its construction and materials used.
I've used it in summer a few times and the plastic chassis gets soft and the engine moves and the flywheel hits the coil.
I only got it to try out new things and as bit of a challeng to see if I could get it to run good.
lots of ups and down so far but if I can get It to run good again for at lest few tanks of fuel after the last few mods I did I'll be happy.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stick to 017 and mostly 018's 0r 018-C. The 017's get sailed. Had one 180, turd it was. Chop out the rectangle area exit and put back the screen and outlet cover. Runs right after that.

My Husky 435 has been flawless. At least a dozen chains worn out. The rest is factory stock. It is due for a sprocket soon. Does not get much use like the 018's did. Much better AV.

One of the 018's is getting rebuilt this year for tops put down chopping and small limbs on the ground. Going to mod it while I'm inside. I really don't expect much from it. My 260 is begging for hacking that turd. Don't run 250's or similar. Bad AV and poor power to weight ratio for my needs. Great for home owners and the ham-fisted user.

I think AV is personal thing whatever someone likes go for it, myself I like not much in they way of movement of the powerhead like the hard rubber AV in older Stihl 066 saws.
I will add you get more feedback with hard rubber AV and some of the stiffer spring AV as to what your bar and chain is doing as soon as your chain hits wood you get feedback as to how sharp your chain is and if the wood is soft or hard is it binding in the cut etc.
Really floppy soft AV springs disconnect the operater from any useful feedback IMHO.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The older Poulans were probably made to better specs that little black saw is nasty in its construction and materials used.
I've used it in summer a few times and the plastic chassis gets soft and the engine moves and the flywheel hits the coil.
I only got it to try out new things and as bit of a challeng to see if I could get it to run good.
lots of ups and down so far but if I can get It to run good again for at lest few tanks of fuel after the last few mods I did I'll be happy.

Far as I know, those were the last of the actual Poulan designs produced. I want to say they lasted until 2010 or so and were replaced by a strato design.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think AV is personal thing whatever someone likes go for it, myself I like not much in they way of movement of the powerhead like the hard rubber AV in older Stihl 066 saws.
I will add you get more feedback with hard rubber AV and some of the stiffer spring AV as to what your bar and chain is doing as soon as your chain hits wood you get feedback as to how sharp your chain is and if the wood is soft or hard is it binding in the cut etc.
Really floppy soft AV springs disconnect the operater from any useful feedback IMHO.
I've had an MS 310 hot enough that they move around and it flexes. 201T feels like mush in my hand. Had two, sold both. I'm not really sold on your sharp chain feedback theory. I can tell a sharp chain from dull on any saw. The self feed requires a chain set up for that saw and the wood at hand. Really has nothing to do with the AV IMO. Soft AV systems are easily ruined by pinching the bar and pulling, pushing dull chain, chain with high depth gauges or no hook on the cutter face. My 2cts.

Funny you mention 066. That would be my least favorite Stihl AV system to run all day. It plain sucks and provides way too much feedback IMHO. Switching my saw again and going to softer rubber in my 066. 661 is superior to 066. 660 is not much better. 361 and 362 are far better than any 1122 Stihl. Most would agree with those statements.

Buy a Mac if you want feedback or an old 090 050 or 040.

Mutley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't really know what dealer's we have down here apart from Stihl and Husky I'm in a small country town we used to have two good dealers Stihl and Husky but they closed down now we have a motorbike shop that sells Stihl saws on the side.
I took a ms661 into them and said can you plug this thing in and tell me what the bloody hell is wrong with it? they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Where are you located mate?

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 183445 View attachment 183446 @rogue60

How are you set for dealers and brands where you are in AU ?
I assume you have Husq and Stihl dealers you can visit , but how about Echo and Makita/Dolmar.
We have no real Dolmar dealerships here but they can be brought in from Germany , however there are Makita dealers that we can get the Blue/Black versions from .
I think the Dol Ps-32 /Mak ea3200 make a very good Throwaway candidate ...

I have a Makita dealer in town but the nearest echo dealer is 100k away .

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I agree totally on this give me the AV on the 460 660 any day of the week .

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag