High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Thoughts on aftermarket parts

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So I have a couple of project saws and one will need a clutch cover.

In my hunting around online getting a feel for what things I want to get will cost me, I see alot of vendors offer aftermarket solutions for things like recoils, clutch covers and whatnot. I've formed my opinions on aftermarket parts for pistons, cylinders, and other types of the major parts...But I am not sure what to think of the AM clutch covers, starters, and other similar parts...

Anyone have any experience with the AM clutch covers and starters??

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ive ran the covers and been fine on the stihl ones the badge is alot different also different text so if buy check the decal difference

Mathewsdxt75

Learning OPE member.
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I put a cheap aftermarket starter on a husky 51, and it is definitely cheap. It hasn't broke, but it has locked up a couple times. The fit and color are very close to oem.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You just can't paint all aftermarket parts with the same brush and conclude they're all good or they're all junk.

Some are pretty good and some are garbage. You often don't know what you're going to get quality wise until you open the box. It's real hit and miss right now but some suppliers are trying to sift through the haze between here and "there" to get away from the crap parts.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All aftermarket 660 parts for the circle crank saw. Great fit and finish and all from @Definitive Dave . The pro safety is from madsens and the last one they had.

Attachments

• 20160307_162821.jpg
    20160307_162821.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 30

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

One of the things my newly acquired 394 is going to need is a clutch cover and possibly some of the chainbrake parts. I was looking around on some of the leading parts vendors sites just to check prices and saw the aftermarket clutch covers and wondered if they would be worth a try or not.

Now with my ATC's, the vast majority of AM parts as great.. But I see alot of AM parts for saws that are of chinese origin and frankly I'm a little leery. I'll probably just look to pick up a good used OEM unit in the end.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The clutch cover from baileys is complete with the break and handle.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've used tons of the Chinese clutch covers. They're great except for the tensioner. They usually die or don't work out of the box... (Or oddly colored bubble wrapped packing tape covered glob.)
There has been an aftermarket starter on my dozerdan 372 and my 372k for a few years. I'm not a logger, but they get used pretty much.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This stuff is going to get better. Guys like Definitive Dave, and companies like Stens and Tilton are making an effort to weed out the low quality parts. The flood of Asian AM saw parts we are seeing is still a some what recent deal and there's a filtering out process that is taking place. I've spoken with Dave and people at both Stens and Tilton. They don't want to sell junk; they want to sell quality parts that will work. The garbage will continue to be there from many E-bay sellers. But companies with an identity that want repeat customers are working to improve their offerings, and that's a safer route to take with aftermarket parts.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
after being screwed by stens and there poor rep and being just treated like crap i will not deal with them. i spend my money with rotary corp or maple grove distributor.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't saw I have been screwed by aftermarket parts for ope and small engines. I have been less then satisfied with lifespan on wear items. When I can put a large order in I use stens alot, been gold there for years. I have used the cylinders, carbs, gaskets pully blades and many other things. Where I find the trouble is with assembled spindles, belts, paddles, spark plugs and I'm sure more. I find if you know how to use the parts and address any issues as you find them most all psrts work well. For instance snowblower paddles oem last forever on ashfalt but last some years yes on concrete. Now aftermarket will last forever on ashfalt too but put them on concrete and they are toast in a couple seasons. Same as I wouldn't expect a aftermarket clutch to survive on a milling saw for as long as oem either. The aftermarket parts all have a purpose.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The other skeleton in the closet with the low end aftermarket parts is that they are a favorite of unscrupulous used saw sellers. Guys that like to flip saws on Craig's List and E-bay often use the lowest price parts they can find. I respect guys that try and make some honest cash, but some of these new venues for selling items like saws have a tendency to draw the dishonest types that are out there. They can hide behind the electronic barrier that exists between them and the buyer. No face to face, or maybe a fist to the face, for screwing guys like the example below.

Had a 395 on the bench yesterday that was a textbook lesson in dishonesty. Saw must have been a basket case. Guy stripped and painted the case and plastic parts. Flywheel has missing fins. Case was cracked. Coil was from another saw and the wire is too short and was being worn through by the cylinder fin. Undersized tygon fuel line causing a fuel leak where it passes through the tank. Aftermarket starter, chain brake, and top end. All manner of hardware holding it together. Don't know what my customer paid for it, but he blew his cork when I gave him all of the above details. :2guns:

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Aftermarket huh? 20160323_122109.jpg 20160323_123126.jpg 20160323_123052.jpgtomorrow I hope to build the exhaust flange and maybe start the chop, cut, and tach mode