Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 34490 View attachment 34491
I'm very happy with the SSHD, can you tell?
I don't pick and choose what to split. I buy logs, and I need to sell the splits. If I can lift it, it is all going through it. When this is split, there are four more 20 cord load of logs. The SS may look skinny and light weight, small scrawny wedge and all, 7 hp and two pinky finger size rubber belts...but...it will "Dance like a butterfly, sting like a bee..."
I had never heard of kinetic splitters until I got on some of these blogs. Bought it having never seen one, just what others shared. Never heard a bad word about them from SS owners. You run a gallon of gas through it, you've split a lot of wood. I'm just getting started with the Posch system but the SSHD is what is going to keep it going. I blog with a guy in Illinois who sells cord wood and bundles, and runs four SuperSplits. I'd be curious to know how many machines are out there. Or even how many Paul sells a year.
Excellent operation Crane!!...one of the nicest I've seen on any site!!

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll have a go, even though it is a poor picture. No problem, with that piece or anything in the photo below it.
-Assume it has not been split yet. First split would not be where it is split in the picture. You could, but you don't want to.
-First split on the full round would be center, to top third, of your photo, splitting the straight grained portion off.
-Second split would be split side down, and through the limb section like your photo shows. Splitting (first split) as shown in the photo could cause the piece to ride up the wedge and summersault.
-You could do a third split/cut, 2/3 down on the photo, cutting (not splitting) through the limb section.
The question is will it split crotches and knots? Yes, and fairly easily.
There is a learning curve, and yes you have to read the wood your splitting if there are irregularities. I can split pieces on the SS that my TW-6 would turn to mush. (I could not make the suggested third split above with the TW) The TW splits wood. The SS cuts/splits wood.
A note about summersaulting: It seldom happens. However, if your hand is on top of a piece as it engages the wedge you can feel it rise. You can disengage the ram by pushing down on the control handle, in most cases before there is a problem. If you have kids that will be splitting wood, do not use a kinetic splitter. If you split with someone loading rounds, and a second person operating the splitter, do not use a kinetic splitter. If you are tired, take a break and do something else for a bit, rather than running a kinetic splitter. If you like to read a book while running a hydraulic splitter... Okay, you get the point.
Call Paul at SuperSplit, or someone at Split Second, and ask if there is someone close to you to contact and see their machine, and maybe run it. Your welcome to use mine. Owners understand that there is no store to go to and check them out, and are often very open to others inquiries.

Sorry about the bad picture. I may have been splitting in the dark when I came across that piece:eek: I understand, just read the wood like you are splitting by hand. Thanks for the offer to try your splitter but I live pretty far from you.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Crane You have a very nice firewood operation. I like your Euro firewood wrapper.

I manually wrap my personal firewood.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That photo, post #43, is really impressive. Nice clean operation.

If you are moving wood on pallets, then you must have forks. This is how I move my SS, and a few close up shots of it. Two bolts hold it on, so it is removable if necessary.IMG_3495.jpg
There is a stop bolt for the forks so I can not accidentally hit the engine.IMG_2465.jpg
The numbers were for someone fabricating their own table. These shows the tubes tight in, and up out of the way of feet and shins. Makes it quite heavy to move by hand, but with forklift, easily placed up to conveyor.
IMG_2470.jpg IMG_2471.jpg

Wilsn

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What do you use for netting?
It is hay bale net wrap. My neighbor gave me a bunch of almost used up rolls. I only use it for my own wood. It helps to stabilize the wood on the pallet and it keeps leaves out of the stacks.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I checked at 12:00 today and Split second has free shipping now on their site.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for everyone taking time to reply to my thread. I ordered a Split Second today. I'll make a new thread once I get it.

You get any of the accessories?

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If split second have been around long enough to show they have no probs with their machines, unlike every other copy, and if the price is similar, then I'd go with the split second for the modifications. That said, I'm extremely happy with my Supersplit. The Subaru Robin engine is every bit as good as the Honda.
salignaFirewood.jpg

Last edited:

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sure have but have only run a chainsaw for about 15 seconds and haven't seen my tractor or splitter for quite a few months. Looking forward to getting back into it. That picture was from last Summer.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok peeps. Just got off the phone with Paul at Super Split. Are most of you that own one running the J or the HD? For what we split here I don’t think the J would have any troubles. For anything stupid gnarly I’ll throw it at the Tractor Supply hydraulic splitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s my Super Split HD...sitting idle.
12F96417-375B-4AFE-AB4C-C991100EA505.jpeg

Attachments

• 26024DE5-9946-4ADD-BB89-4FA76DAD2B8F.jpeg
    26024DE5-9946-4ADD-BB89-4FA76DAD2B8F.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 8