Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like the looks of a Split Second. It is like an improved Super Split. I like the adjustable height, the retractable tow hitch, ground clearance, and lower center of gravity. The two things I really don't like are no Honda engine option and the two handed operation. There may be a way to make it one handed like the Super Split. Then Super Split does have a great reputation.

The split second is very easy to convert to one handed operation is my understanding. The Subaru engine is top notch, but still not a Honda.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The spilt second splitter is well built. Some nice mods/improvements. I like the lowered motor the best. Quieter. I have used a split second for a day.
If you were to buy a splitter today and your two choices were the Super Split HD and the Split Second, What would you go with?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I checked on the Split Second website to see how much shipping would be it. It was $384!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked on the Split Second website to see how much shipping would be it. It was $384!

Have you gotten a shipping quote from Paul at SS?

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you were to buy a splitter today and your two choices were the Super Split HD and the Split Second, What would you go with?

Depends on what works for you and the wood you split. If you really want a Honda motor Super Split HD. If you want adjustable height Split Second. If your doing ugly nasty wood the Super Split Special Edition. (bigger flywheels and bigger honda motor). I wanted the Honda motor and bigger flywheels. But the wider base of the split second is something I wish I had. I did roll one of my SS SE driving on the side of a hill. Can't tell it happened but it did. Didn't break anything just pushed the start cover on the motor a little. If the split second was a few bucks cheaper it would be a simple choice. Competition is good for the consumer.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If you are not in a hurry, I have seen Split Second offer "free shipping" in the past (2 times since last Christmas). They may never offer it again though, who knows. Call them and ask them if they are going to do it again.

Also, log splitter direct has them with free shipping at $3199

Last edited:

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

He has had 3 I know of and all Super Split. It is hard to get past the bullet proof dependability with decades of reliability of the Super Split.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have you gotten a shipping quote from Paul at SS?

No I have not but I should before I make a decision.

Depends on what works for you and the wood you split. If you really want a Honda motor Super Split HD. If you want adjustable height Split Second. If your doing ugly nasty wood the Super Split Special Edition. (bigger flywheels and bigger honda motor). I wanted the Honda motor and bigger flywheels. But the wider base of the split second is something I wish I had. I did roll one of my SS SE driving on the side of a hill. Can't tell it happened but it did. Didn't break anything just pushed the start cover on the motor a little. If the split second was a few bucks cheaper it would be a simple choice. Competition is good for the consumer.

I'm even condfused about the getting a Honda on one. The Honda is $174 more on the Super split IIRC. I looked a new Subaru is only $200. I can almost buy another Subaru for what the Honda upgrade costs. So now I am wondering if the Honda is worth the extra money.

I am mostly splitting dry oak. From time to time it is nasty. Here is the last truck load I got. I thought I had a pic of it unloaded but I can't find it. I was hoping the Super split HD or Split Second would do what I need to do.

If you are not in a hurry, I have seen Split Second offer "free shipping" in the past (2 times since last Christmas). They may never offer it again though, who knows. Call them and ask them if they are going to do it again.

Also, log splitter direct has them with free shipping at $3199

I saw they also had a "coupon code" section in the check out. I'm not sure how soon I'll make a move on a splitter, maybe they will do free shipping between now and then.

I saw the one at log splitter direct. If I was going to order one right now that is where I would get it. There is also a used split second on ebay with all the accessories. I wonder why they are getting rid of it?

He has had 3 I know of and all Super Split. It is hard to get past the bullet proof dependability with decades of reliability of the Super Split.

The reputation of the Super Split is what is making this hard.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I have had a SSHD for two years, and love it. I buy 20 cord loads of 8' oak to process and sell. The Subaru/Honda choice is a hard one. I use a GX 160 on a conveyor, and a GX 200 on a previous hydraulic splitter. I also have a ten year old Polaris quad with a Subaru. I went with the Subaru as standard on the SS, no regrets.
Personally, I think the two handed safety feature 'could be' dangerous on a kinetic splitter. Here is why. Something that happens on hydraulic and kinetic single wedge splitters is that a round can ride up the wedge. It happens, usually on a knot. On hydraulic splitter it happens fairly slow. Not true with kinetic splitters, it happens quick, surprisingly quick, summersaulting the round backwards, face height, towards the handle. Not where you want both hands. I want one hand on the control lever, and one hand on top of the round until the wood engages the wedge. I can feel what the round is doing before I can see it move upwards. An important thing to do is to work upright, not leaning over the work piece. Despite this occasional happening, kinetic splitters (which ever one you choose) are a delight to use because of their working height, fuel efficiency, and resplitting ease. A kinetic splitter will eat that truckload up.IMG_1687.jpg

Last edited:

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I have had a SSHD for two years, and love it. I buy 20 cord loads of 8' oak to process and sell. The Subaru/Honda choice is a hard one. I use a GX 160 on a conveyor, and a GX 200 on a previous hydraulic splitter. I also have a ten year old Polaris quad with a Subaru. I went with the Subaru as standard on the SS, no regrets.
Personally, I think the two handed safety feature 'could be' dangerous on a kinetic splitter. Here is why. Something that happens on hydraulic and kinetic single wedge splitters is that a round can ride up the wedge. It happens, usually on a knot. On hydraulic splitter it happens fairly slow. Not true with kinetic splitters, it happens quick, surprisingly quick, summersaulting the round backwards, face height, towards the handle. Not where you want both hands. I want one hand on the control lever, and one hand on top of the round until the wood engages the wedge. I can feel what the round is doing before I can see it move upwards. An important thing to do is to work upright, not leaning over the work piece. Despite this occasional happening, kinetic splitters (which ever one you choose) are a delight to use because of their working height, fuel efficiency, and resplitting ease. A kinetic splitter will eat that truckload up.View attachment 34172

I wish someone here sold 20 cord loads. I am leaning toward the Subaru, which is my only option if i go with the Split second. I just want to compare some of the main components on the SP and EX line and see what is really different. If I get a split second I am going to make it so it can be used one handed. I've saw a video the other night of a piece shooting of a super split.

How will your super split handle something like this?

Here is pic of that load I posted earlier unloaded

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll have a go, even though it is a poor picture. No problem, with that piece or anything in the photo below it.
-Assume it has not been split yet. First split would not be where it is split in the picture. You could, but you don't want to.
-First split on the full round would be center, to top third, of your photo, splitting the straight grained portion off.
-Second split would be split side down, and through the limb section like your photo shows. Splitting (first split) as shown in the photo could cause the piece to ride up the wedge and summersault.
-You could do a third split/cut, 2/3 down on the photo, cutting (not splitting) through the limb section.
The question is will it split crotches and knots? Yes, and fairly easily.
There is a learning curve, and yes you have to read the wood your splitting if there are irregularities. I can split pieces on the SS that my TW-6 would turn to mush. (I could not make the suggested third split above with the TW) The TW splits wood. The SS cuts/splits wood.
A note about summersaulting: It seldom happens. However, if your hand is on top of a piece as it engages the wedge you can feel it rise. You can disengage the ram by pushing down on the control handle, in most cases before there is a problem. If you have kids that will be splitting wood, do not use a kinetic splitter. If you split with someone loading rounds, and a second person operating the splitter, do not use a kinetic splitter. If you are tired, take a break and do something else for a bit, rather than running a kinetic splitter. If you like to read a book while running a hydraulic splitter... Okay, you get the point.
Call Paul at SuperSplit, or someone at Split Second, and ask if there is someone close to you to contact and see their machine, and maybe run it. Your welcome to use mine. Owners understand that there is no store to go to and check them out, and are often very open to others inquiries.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your last two posts @Crane ...well said.

To @94BULLITT, you're just as liable to get a 'flyer' crotchy piece or a piece that wants to rise up the wedge on the Split Second just as soon as you are the Super Split. In no circumstances would I consider a kinetic with the two-hand safety operation...I would immediately bypass it. With my one free hand 'momentarily riding' the top of the round on my SS HD when I engage the rack to the pinion gear, just like Crane said, you can tell what the round or split is going to do after getting a little run time on one. Positioning the round or split is a little learning curve with kinetic splitters, but it's not a deal breaker from a time standpoint or otherwise. Sometimes you hit the piece in the center of a round or big split, other times based on grain or crotch, you cleave it from the edges. It's like riding a bike, once you got it, you got it. That load of logs you posted in the pic wouldn't even make my SS HD break a small sweat.

Good luck in your decision, but I'll say one thing...decades of proven craftsmanship and decades old SS's still today doing what they were designed to do...my decision to go with SS was a no brainer...its just too damn hard for me to bet my hard earned money on anything else other than the absolute proven thoroughbred in the flywheel/kinetic splitter world.

Last edited:

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
decades old SS's still today doing what they were designed to do...
IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0507.jpg
I misspoke earlier, my SSHD is three years plus old. Not quite yet broke in.
I added fork tubes to mine so I could keep it indoors and move it with a forklift.
The SS is my splitter of choice. The TW-6 sits mostly unused.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 34470 View attachment 34471
I misspoke earlier, my SSHD is three years plus old. Not quite yet broke in.
I added fork tubes to mine so I could keep it indoors and move it with a forklift.
The SS is my splitter of choice. The TW-6 sits mostly unused.
Nice conveyor setup Crane...Yes sir, getting it done there!! I remember the addition of the forklift tubes from you posting it up in the past (other site).

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_3599.jpg IMG_3598.jpg
I'm very happy with the SSHD, can you tell?
I don't pick and choose what to split. I buy logs, and I need to sell the splits. If I can lift it, it is all going through it. When this is split, there are four more 20 cord load of logs. The SS may look skinny and light weight, small scrawny wedge and all, 7 hp and two pinky finger size rubber belts...but...it will "Dance like a butterfly, sting like a bee..."
I had never heard of kinetic splitters until I got on some of these blogs. Bought it having never seen one, just what others shared. Never heard a bad word about them from SS owners. You run a gallon of gas through it, you've split a lot of wood. I'm just getting started with the Posch system but the SSHD is what is going to keep it going. I blog with a guy in Illinois who sells cord wood and bundles, and runs four SuperSplits. I'd be curious to know how many machines are out there. Or even how many Paul sells a year.

Last edited: