Thinking about buying a dump truck

Tbrown

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been looking at buying a truck for awhile. I have around 8k yards of sand I need to get rid of. I know I can move it faster if I have a way to deliver. I have a 77k excavator to load. I have some other hauling to do for myself, also father in law would have some other work. I don't need to make money with this truck. I have a full time job, work 5 days, off 5 days. I could do some for hire hauling if I'm not busy. Looking at a 98 paystar, m11, 8LL. Figured I should create a separate LLC to cover the truck. Any suggestions or advice? Resized_20180929_143147(1).jpeg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Besides the LLC, you would be subject to the massive amount of DOT regulations that have huge fines for even the most minor of paperwork infractions. I would recommend that you talk to either the State Patrol and/or the WDOT before going into such a limited venture. You might be money ahead to hire the trucking or just give away the material to someone that is already set up to move it.

Tbrown

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Besides the LLC, you would be subject to the massive amount of DOT regulations that have huge fines for even the most minor of paperwork infractions. I would recommend that you talk to either the State Patrol and/or the WDOT before going into such a limited venture. You might be money ahead to hire the trucking or just give away the material to someone that is already set up to move it.
It's not too bad. I know a few guys with trucks. That's why I'm looking for a decent legal truck. My reason for doing it myself is a logistics thing. I can haul cheaper and on my own time. I have been giving away the material. I get requests for couple hundred yards here and there and they can't find anyone to haul it.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
11:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Can you maintain/service an "older" truck of that size. I've found the purchase price is usually the easiest part of an aging Heavy Equipment fleet. a tire on that beast is like $400....I imagine a "tow" on that truck to be about $500 to get it to the shop to work on and charge you another $2500 to "look" at the rig....

best of luck....

so far I've found if it "F@cks, fly's or Floats" its cheaper to RENT.... (not sure about if it "dumps" yet. )

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As previously mentioned, if you can't wrench on your own truck, it can get expensive FAST! My father in law ran a dumptruck business for years. When his health started to go down hill a little, he went to driving over the road for someone else. He had a few different trucks and it was always something with them. He finally bought a new Peterbuilt, but it was still oil changes, tires, and other small issues. He mainly hauled equipment on a tri-axle Trail King. In TN, doing it that way skirts many of the laws. I think his bed only had material in it a few times for his or my use.

Tbrown

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As previously mentioned, if you can't wrench on your own truck, it can get expensive FAST! My father in law ran a dumptruck business for years. When his health started to go down hill a little, he went to driving over the road for someone else. He had a few different trucks and it was always something with them. He finally bought a new Peterbuilt, but it was still oil changes, tires, and other small issues. He mainly hauled equipment on a tri-axle Trail King. In TN, doing it that way skirts many of the laws. I think his bed only had material in it a few times for his or my use.
Between my brother, another friend, and myself we have the mechanic part covered. Trust me I know about repairs. We rebuilt the Isuzu engine in that excavator this spring. New used shortblock, full engine kit, new radiator, and many misc parts. MVIMG_20180706_082341.jpg MVIMG_20180706_082015.jpg

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1116181403.jpg
I think if you run it "Not for Hire" you can bypass some of the complicated nonsense, at least on the insurance side. To go through all of the requirements to run a few loads for hire now and again probably not worth it. I've got a couple diesel tech buddy's n they say stay away from the M11 not sure why. Not sure your budget but if it were me I'd find a older Mack or Ford tri axle or tandem.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Between my brother, another friend, and myself we have the mechanic part covered. Trust me I know about repairs. We rebuilt the Isuzu engine in that excavator this spring. New used shortblock, full engine kit, new radiator, and many misc parts. View attachment 151866 View attachment 151867
Well GO for it! In TN, if it is part of a farm or other agriculture business, you can bypass a lot of stuff as well.

The problems with the M11 engines seem to be ECU issues and injector wiring issues. We have had two at work that have been POSs and we finally got them reolaced. If you could find a Mack or something with a Cat, you would be that much ahead.

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
R model Mack with a 300/350 Mack & 8LL would be hard to beat for what ya want to do, that's my $0.02. That n stay away from the quad axles, more moving parts and tires.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an M11 in my 98 Kenworth,13 speed T800 Tanker.
I don't have anything bad to say about it.I run synthetic oil and the truck will start at -25C if it has too without being plugged in.It lives outside and works all winter.
I have a 81 R model Mack with the Mack 350 High horsepower and a Mack 12 speed tranny.It is my dump truck and i love the old girl,tons of power,especially when you look at the physical size of the motor,smokes black when you put your foot in it and flies.It's high geared and i love blowing away new trucks with it.Plus it is cheap on fuel.
Then my tractor has a 3406B Cat and 18 speed 93T800 Kenworth,another great engine tranny combo.

Tbrown

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brother was a fully certified Freightliner mechanic. He says the m11 is a safe bet. Just haven't ran across a Mack set up right that was decent. Wisconsin makes it hard to not run a quad. 73k vs 63k. Many triaxle trucks won't scale full weight. The ih is set up well, and only has 200k on it.