Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that is now the official name of daves den of dumbness and saws.

Al is the greatest guy in the world (DRF255) He sent me a sweet, sweet, sexy NOS 044 slant fin jug all polished, ported, fingered, bridged and made love to Barry White style.
I promised to get it installed on an 044 and test it out. So after several months of dicking around and almost getting it built and delays while I healed up the shoulder of infinite sadness, I finally get it built on a 10mm 044 saw that I had marked as needing only a fuel line. I ended up going with a new tank and plastics and a myriad of other stuff. I start it up and it runs wicked badass like a Kardashian with no panties chasing pooperazzi.
4 cuts in it acts like it ran out of gas so I call it a day.
The next day I fuel it up, though it still had some gas in it. Saw fires up and runs great but after one cut it has no power on throttle. I mess with the carb and think I have it dialed in but then it acts wonky again mid cut.

Ahhh maybe it is an older fuel filter with glue all over it - to the batcave.

No love, it still acts like it wants to tune fine until it warms up and then it wont tune for Bo Diddly.
OK it must be that damn aftermarket carb Dave sold me :)
I swap it out for another one, I am running out of time for the GTG last weekend and I really want to take Al's handiwork with me to a bunch of guys who are speed freaks.
Three different carbs yield nothing so I order an HD16 OEM Walbro.
Fast forward to today.
I am having a great day so I figure since the HD16 still hasn't arrived maybe just for the giggles of schoolchildren I will give the old girl the pressure/vac test again. I am positive I tested it before sticking in on the shelf as a project a couple years ago, but who knows. Well well well on the good old suck and blow she cant hold either for more than a second before settling on ZERO.
All excited that I may be able to run this beast I tear off the clutch side and sure enough big bubbles from soapy water.

No problem I will grab my handy dandy oh so dear OEM Stihl oil seal puller and.......oh Lucifer's balls I sent it to Lonewolf yesterday for building the dozen plus MS200Ts I sent him ( he is clearly a gluton for punishment as well as a hell of guy). So I open a new oil seal puller from the store bins and hope nobody buys it before I get another one in stock :) I get the seal out and a new one installed with my handy dandy driver and give it another blow/suck to check the other side. NOW there is no pressure at all or vaccum, it wont budge off zero no matter how fast I pump. WTF? I use the bubbles and neither oil seal is leaking nor is the carb testing flange or exhaust block off. I try to shoot some bubbles at the base gasket and tank seam and find nothing.

Time to give it some air from the compressor, needless to say that didn't go well, I forgot the pressure reducing valve.

Also I ran out of soap bubbles

But at least my new 346Xp has the worlds dullest chain and I don't have another so I cant test it out either.

Tomorrow is a new day, I wonder what else I can F2ck up?
Dave - proprietor of the wretched wrench

IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2142.JPG

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that is now the official name of daves den of dumbness and saws.

Al is the greatest guy in the world (DRF255) He sent me a sweet, sweet, sexy NOS 044 slant fin jug all polished, ported, fingered, bridged and made love to Barry White style.
I promised to get it installed on an 044 and test it out. So after several months of dicking around and almost getting it built and delays while I healed up the shoulder of infinite sadness, I finally get it built on a 10mm 044 saw that I had marked as needing only a fuel line. I ended up going with a new tank and plastics and a myriad of other stuff. I start it up and it runs wicked badass like a Kardashian with no panties chasing pooperazzi.
4 cuts in it acts like it ran out of gas so I call it a day.
The next day I fuel it up, though it still had some gas in it. Saw fires up and runs great but after one cut it has no power on throttle. I mess with the carb and think I have it dialed in but then it acts wonky again mid cut.

Ahhh maybe it is an older fuel filter with glue all over it - to the batcave.

No love, it still acts like it wants to tune fine until it warms up and then it wont tune for Bo Diddly.
OK it must be that damn aftermarket carb Dave sold me :)
I swap it out for another one, I am running out of time for the GTG last weekend and I really want to take Al's handiwork with me to a bunch of guys who are speed freaks.
Three different carbs yield nothing so I order an HD16 OEM Walbro.
Fast forward to today.
I am having a great day so I figure since the HD16 still hasn't arrived maybe just for the giggles of schoolchildren I will give the old girl the pressure/vac test again. I am positive I tested it before sticking in on the shelf as a project a couple years ago, but who knows. Well well well on the good old suck and blow she cant hold either for more than a second before settling on ZERO.
All excited that I may be able to run this beast I tear off the clutch side and sure enough big bubbles from soapy water.

No problem I will grab my handy dandy oh so dear OEM Stihl oil seal puller and.......oh Lucifer's balls I sent it to Lonewolf yesterday for building the dozen plus MS200Ts I sent him ( he is clearly a gluton for punishment as well as a hell of guy). So I open a new oil seal puller from the store bins and hope nobody buys it before I get another one in stock :) I get the seal out and a new one installed with my handy dandy driver and give it another blow/suck to check the other side. NOW there is no pressure at all or vaccum, it wont budge off zero no matter how fast I pump. WTF? I use the bubbles and neither oil seal is leaking nor is the carb testing flange or exhaust block off. I try to shoot some bubbles at the base gasket and tank seam and find nothing.

Time to give it some air from the compressor, needless to say that didn't go well, I forgot the pressure reducing valve.

Also I ran out of soap bubbles

But at least my new 346Xp has the worlds dullest chain and I don't have another so I cant test it out either.

Tomorrow is a new day, I wonder what else I can F2ck up?
Dave - proprietor of the wretched wrench

View attachment 16546
View attachment 16547
Just one of those days wher nothin goes rite. We all have them. Tomorrow will be better. Well hopefully lol.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_2114.JPG
Run that 064 yet?

Sir Yes SIR - it is Stout and quick
I was cutting a 10 x 10 cant in the driveway when my wife came home and she gave me a look like I might be a moron.
I tried to explain how fast it was (16" total superbar with Mike lee practice chain) but I gave up and decided to show her.
On a stock MS441 the same b/c took almost 4 seconds compared to a bit over a second on the Peanut.

I am surprised the saw did run so well because it didn't have any fancy stickers on it :)

The saw is now known as the Peanut because when I opened the box to pull it out there were packing peanuts in every nook and cranny :)

Deets is making me a custom air filter base like his to cover the carb chamber around the velocity stack :)

I have a few guys getting some more fast chains together for me and I am hoping to put all my saws in the same wood with the same b/c to compare them all to a stock MS440.
I figure there are so many variables in weather etc that I can just run each one against a control and get some meaningful measure of comparison. Same for fast chains, I can run them against stock square CL chain.

I am real curious as to how this 064/660 compares to an early 066/660.
Damn saws are fun:aplastao:

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome picture you have painted for us. You could write greeting cards if the parts business doesn't pan out

I have one of Al's sweet saws. The things a beast. Hope you get yours sorted out. You'll be impressed

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man thank you I got a great chuckle from that. I have been there so many times. I really enjoyed the window into your shop, I sure felt like I was right beside you. Going thru those types of days when that bump on the old dome taught you somethibg and you'll sure remember it. So thanks again and good luck I always look forward to reading your posts.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why is that candy apple 076 not together yet. Do you have a cylinder gasket or sealer?
It was basically all together but I just started taking it apart to fix all the stuff I did wrong the first time.
Narrow spline oil pump, correct worm, oh did I mention it feels completely locked up?
It's an adventure.
I went with the oem gasket I think, it was so long ago I will have to look :)

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Samething happened to me on same saw, the one you bailed me out with seals, anyway installed new seals wouldn't hold nothin, about crappin me pants then I realized if forgot to clamp my impulse line shut.....I guess I'll never learn.[emoji13]

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 16555

Sir Yes SIR - it is Stout and quick
I was cutting a 10 x 10 cant in the driveway when my wife came home and she gave me a look like I might be a moron.
I tried to explain how fast it was (16" total superbar with Mike lee practice chain) but I gave up and decided to show her.
On a stock MS441 the same b/c took almost 4 seconds compared to a bit over a second on the Peanut.

I am surprised the saw did run so well because it didn't have any fancy stickers on it :)

The saw is now known as the Peanut because when I opened the box to pull it out there were packing peanuts in every nook and cranny :)

Deets is making me a custom air filter base like his to cover the carb chamber around the velocity stack :)

I have a few guys getting some more fast chains together for me and I am hoping to put all my saws in the same wood with the same b/c to compare them all to a stock MS440.
I figure there are so many variables in weather etc that I can just run each one against a control and get some meaningful measure of comparison. Same for fast chains, I can run them against stock square CL chain.

I am real curious as to how this 064/660 compares to an early 066/660.
Damn saws are fun:aplastao:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

For the P-NUT!