High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The Wood ID Thread ( or name this wood type )

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
4E02E75B-B0EC-44B9-9C17-18073D95378E.jpeg
I need some help with this one from westerns or possibly Canadians. Definitely not a local tree. I see it a lot in houses around here built in the 50s and 60s. But never see it these days. Has extremely tight straight grain in the quarter sawn sections and wild wavy grain in the plain sawn sections. It has a very distinct odor that is unpleasant. And pretty rot resistant these were bleachers at a school from the 50s.

Attachments

• 5069CCC0-6A8F-48C0-AFFC-6DD19BC56611.jpeg
    5069CCC0-6A8F-48C0-AFFC-6DD19BC56611.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 49

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 152770
I need some help with this one from westerns or possibly Canadians. Definitely not a local tree. I see it a lot in houses around here built in the 50s and 60s. But never see it these days. Has extremely tight straight grain in the quarter sawn sections and wild wavy grain in the plain sawn sections. It has a very distinct odor that is unpleasant. And pretty rot resistant these were bleachers at a school from the 50s.
Ain’t like I’ve never been wrong before, in both pics that sure looks like a type of oak.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I saw that you were in GA and tried to think of trees that might have been old growth back in the day. Cypress was that first one that popped in my head. Per the database description " somewhat sour odor while being worked" . In looking at other pictures it might be what you have.

https://www.wood-database.com/cypress/

Last edited:

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I saw that you were in GA and tried to think of trees that might have been old growth back in the day. Cypress was that first one that popped in my head. Per the database description " somewhat sour odor while being worked" . In looking at other pictures it might be what you have.

https://www.wood-database.com/cypress/
That could be a possibility. I had one person tell me that it looked like hemlock. The faint wavy grain and color does look like the pictures of hemlock. Cypress would explain the rot resistance though. It’s hard to tell with old growth stuff here since we don’t have anything like it anymore. Like comparing heart pine to today’s pine it doesn’t even look like the same species even though it is.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say it’s hemlock that right hand board has got some character
Similar too our western hemlock we got over here
Can you rub off a section too see how white it comes up

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Doesn't the fact it has been outdoors for decades negate the chance it is Hemlock? Eastern Hemlock anyway.
I have thought that but the look is what I can’t get past. is western hemlock or old growth hemlock any more resistant? Idk. Yellow pine will rot in a few months heart pine buried in the yard will last forever. The last 45 years its been in a chicken house too not sure how long it was outside before that but probably a long time. A little bit of sap wood on the edges was totally rotten. I may just have to make up a name lol

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
These boards were bolted to steel every 4 ft. So they would dry out fast after a rain. They were deeply cracked and stained on the top side. I planed the bottom and put them face up. Might have helped them last longer.