The Official Tire Thread

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My spare tire is a noname tire, cheapy on a metal rim.
I do check the tire pressure regularly in all my tires. [emoji106]

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do any of you use the brand new spare under the truck and just buy three more like it? Thats what im debating on doing.
In my mind no point waisting a new tire.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
if its more than 6 years old I'd be suspicious a out using it.

They had that huge recall awhile back from blowouts. I believe he's referencing that.
again or the recall back in the 90s?

This brings up a good question. Who here has checked the air pressure in their spare lately, or ever lol
yes I do once a month along with the other 4. Had that bite me in the ass once.

Its a firestone transforce at. Same as the truck came with.
Mabe i got lucky?

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
if its a heavy truck they should come with the good stuff.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve always used my spare as a new tire for my next set @merc_man As long as it’s a good tire. It’s never exposed to sunlight. Brand new in my book. Even if it’s old

Buy the time I get a vehicle that spare is 15 years old lol.

Wifes car has no spare has an airpump with fix flat built in pump from factory
that's a bunch of chicken *s-word if you ask me. Or some brands charge extra for spares.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Buy the time I get a vehicle that spare is 15 years old lol.

that's a bunch of chicken *s-word if you ask me. Or some brands charge extra for spares.
Why how often you use a spare. And its great for women. Not many know to change a flat but can air a tire. All the newer vehicles are goun that way

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why how often you use a spare. And its great for women. Not many know to change a flat but can air a tire. All the newer vehicles are goun that way

Enough to want one and when I need it I'm in BFE with no reception and that tire is a goner lol.

Yeah they are going that way. It saves them money and weight.

I guess I'm just old school. I have a full size spare for all my junkers.

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The spare tires are usually a cheaper tire and not exactly like the 4 OEM Tires.
just got a brand new F-250. 4 nice michelins on it. noticed the tread design was different on the spare and crawled under and looked. goodyear!!! :BangHead: hope i never need it.
20180430_172625.jpg

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's the point of a spare. Hardly used but there when you need it. I can think of a few examples where fix a flat wouldn't have helped. Kinda like carrying a pistol everyday, you may never need to pull it but if you ever do you'll be thanking god you had it.

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
bought a new van back in 1987. it came with GY vector tires. at around a 1,000 i noticed them wearing on the outside. took it back to the dealer and they checked the alignment and the whole front suspension and couldn't find anything wrong. told me to take it to the goodyear store for warranty. the guy there said it's an alignment problem. showed him the paperwork from my dealer. he wanted to charge me to recheck the front end. told him GFY. started looking at GY vector tires in parking lots on all types of vechicles and they all were worn the same way.