STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
--side track--Olympus miniboroscope .I have no idea how old this thing, it's no longer made .This one uses a xenon light source and is strictly optic .It was a freebie from work because it had been replaced years ago by a digital camera type .It's kind of a pain in the neck to focus but it works .

Attachments

• DSCN0560[1].JPG
    DSCN0560[1].JPG
    107 KB · Views: 7

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might be on to something .Clutch side seal 042/048 .Hard to find but I found at least one I think 20 x 35.8 x 4 ---SKU MD 172133 --Google search with seal dimensions---
Might have found a bearing that could be adapted 20x 42 x 12 .Double seal which could have the seals removed and possibly be ground to thickness with a surface grinder if needed .
If these would work they are cheap like 5-6 bucks a bearing and $3.50 a seal .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Double seal bearing might be nice leave them in until all the grinding is done should keep a lot of the crap out. If they can be made to work I have 2 042’s and 2 048’s plus one for parts.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's speculation on my part and would depend how much seating width had been left on the OEM altered bearing .I probably have an old one to measure if I could ever find it .It might be 12 mm with 2mm protruding towards the clutch side .Why Stihl did that most likely will never be known .Stihl being Stihl I suppose .

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a few 048's here that can be brought back. Plus one NOS tank handle :) Been waiting for the right time to glue on a bigger jug to play with. One should remain stock appearing. I have some more NOS parts to go on that one. Plenty of room and heft there to go with a bigger jug on a better build. I like the platform but not the oil pump.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the gear drive pumps might put out more oil than the later types ,center drive from a notch in the clutch drum types .The gears could wear out some times I guess

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think the gear drive pumps might put out more oil than the later types ,center drive from a notch in the clutch drum types .The gears could wear out some times I guess
I agree they pump more oil imo to.
The old thing will probably outlast all of us.
028's are still going and going just like old 084's

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the 042 i had running good doesnt run good anymore. Owner brought it back to me. Just got it now.

I am thinking carb problems......

Has anyone here ever rebuilt the carb on one of these? Does the aluminum plate/diaphram? get ditched when installing a new carb kit?

I can take pictures of it when I tear it apart again.

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are talking about the plate riveted to the diaphragm it stays on the diaphragm . It should be a model WS Walbro unless it's been changed .

There isnt a riveted plate, just a plate seperating diaphrams. It was like that when i took the carb apart....It is indeed a WS carby. I've never been into one of these carbs so it is throwing me through a loop because it doesnt look like the diagram. So me is much a confusedededed haha

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get a number off the carb so we're troubleshooting the right one.

Will do. Will post updates as soon as I can get the carb pulled and out of the saw. Pictures will be worth 1,000 words here im sure.

And thank you all for the willingness to help a guy out. Much appreciated.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this what you're talking about? I found it with an ebay ad for the K10-WS kit. Not included with the kit, tho.

Untitled2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be able to go to Walbros web site and get the "stack up " of the parts on that model . I'll tell one on myself .Some how on this very carb and that very saw I got the diaphragm and the spacer gasket in the wrong order .I had it apart about three times and missed it each time .Banished that SOB to the shelf for about two years until I got over my mad on .Felt really stupid after I found out what the problem was .Chit happens !