DOLMAR/MAKITA The Official Sachs Dolmar Dolmar Makita Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Hurtig

OPE Member
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey all,

My first post, so hello from South Florida everyone!! Not sure this is the right place for my question so forgive me if I'm wrong here. In the process of figuring out what to get as my very first chainsaw, yay! (been researching for a couple weeks and my head hurts, lol) and I've narrowed it down to the Dolmar 421 or the 510 (or Makita equal , or Maruyama equal ..assuming they are in fact all the same Dolmar saw??). I started out wanting a PP 5020 and looked at almost all 40-50cc saws from Dolmar, Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna.

I know these things have been talked about in this thread as well as others but I'm still not sure if I understand correctly. Couple questions...

1) Is it still possible to order a factory fresh new DOLMAR 421 or 510 as of today 9-30-2017 from USA dealers? Or are they all Makitas now?

2) Are factory fresh Dolmar 421 and 510 saws in USA still made in Germany and labeled as such?

3) Are factory fresh Makita EA4300 and 5121 saws in USA still made in Germany and labeled as such?

4) Are factory fresh Maruyama MCV42 and MCV51 saws in USA still made in Germany and labeled as such?

5) Are the 421 and 510 some of the best saws ever made in the history of man??? .....you don't have to answer this one...lol

Sorry if these are silly questions but I've had a hard time confirming this stuff.
Thanks in advance for any input/help. :zplayita:
- edited to add the same questions about the 510

Last edited:

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey all,

My first post, so hello from South Florida everyone!! Not sure this is the right place for my question so forgive me if I'm wrong here. In the process of figuring out what to get as my very first chainsaw, yay! (been researching for a couple weeks and my head hurts, lol) and I've narrowed it down to the Dolmar 421 (or Makita EA4300, or Maruyama MCV42...assuming they are in fact all the same Dolmar saw??). I started out wanting a PP 5020 and looked at almost all 40-50cc saws from Dolmar, Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna.

I know these things have been talked about in this thread as well as others but I'm still not sure if I understand correctly. Couple questions...

1) Is it still possible to order a factory fresh new DOLMAR 421 as of today 9-30-2017 from USA dealers? Or are they all Makitas now?

2) Are factory fresh Dolmar 421 saws in USA still made in Germany and labeled as such?

3) Are factory fresh Makita EA4300 saws in USA still made in Germany and labeled as such?

4) Are factory fresh Maruyama MCV42 saws in USA still made in Germany and labeled as such?

5) Is the 421 one of the best saws ever made in the history of man??? .....you don't have to answer this one...lol

Sorry if these are silly questions but I've had a hard time confirming this stuff.
Thanks in advance for any input/help. :zplayita:
-
Welcome to OPE! It's a great group of guys here. I'm a Dolmar guy myself, and own a 421 made in Germany, but I can't answer your questions about current production locations. We do have a few very knowledgeable Dolmar dealers here, though.
@166 @fordf150
We also have a U.K. based Dolmar dealer @ajschainsaws
I'd say these guys are the going to be the best bet to help answer your questions.

Hurtig

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply SOS, much appreciated. Hopefully those guys can enlighten me.

Ive been flip flopping back and forth between the 421 and the 510. I think Im back to wanting the 510 since this will be my only saw. Im thinking I will go as strong as I can.

Going to edit my original post to add the same questions for the 510.

Thanks again!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hurtig- there are some brand new 510's and 5105's on EBay right now at very reasonable prices with free shipping. As nice a saw as the 421 is, I think you will get a lot more saw for just a little more money with the 510 or 5105. I love my 5105, I swear there is an extra 15cc hiding in there. Gave a whopping $195.00 for it used on EBay. There are always some nice 510's there for well under $300.00.

Makita has been threatening to pull the plug on the Dolmar brand for about two years now. The Dolmar brand saws are not as easy to order new as they used to be, but there are still bunches of them around. The Dolmar website is still up, so I guess technically they are still alive in the USA. In any event, Dolmar Germany is still very much alive and most Makita saws are just Dolmars in disguise so factory support should be available for a long time.

If you are willing to consider something other than Dolmar, you can't go wrong with an Echo 490, 500, or 501 and there are some great deals to be had on them. See my posts in the Echo forum.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Hurtig

1) Is it still possible to order a factory fresh new DOLMAR 421 or 510 as of today 9-30-2017 from USA dealers? Or are they all Makitas now?
the 421's your going to find are at very sloooooow dealers so your looking at a Makita EA4300 most likely for this saw.

510 is a different story, its a much slower selling saw and last i knew the makita warehouse still had some and most dealers will still have them although they will all be probably year old build dates or older.

2) Are factory fresh Dolmar 421 and 510 saws in USA still made in Germany and labeled as such?

421's were German assembly, first generation of the EA4300 was German, latest(last 10-11 months) 4300's have final assembly done in one of Makita's china factories

3) Are factory fresh Makita EA4300 and 5121 saws in USA still made in Germany and labeled as such?

answered in other replies

4) Are factory fresh Maruyama MCV42 and MCV51 saws in USA still made in Germany and labeled as such?

MCV51 is a 5105 and yes they are German assembly

cant answer on the 42 for sure but i would assume since they(maryuma) are a much slower seller that they are still working thru the German assembled saws

5) Are the 421 and 510 some of the best saws ever made in the history of man??? .....you don't have to answer this one...lol

421/4300............absolutely YES :)

510 is a great saw in the 50cc farm/ranch category but to most its a question of why carry lowest powered version of a given chassis when the best of the category can be had for just a little more....510/5105 are the same chassis with different cylinders resulting in the 510 being 3.3hp vs the 5105 at 3.9hp

Hurtig

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the reply. I have looked at the Echos as well and definitely have not ruled them out. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Dolmar but it's so much info to get a handle on that I may change my mind a few times before I pull the trigger.

I have never owned a gas saw but I have rented two Dolmars at Home Depot. The 64cc I believe as well as the 4300 on seperate occasions. I really liked using both these saws :)

Hurtig- there are some brand new 510's and 5105's on EBay right now at very reasonable prices with free shipping. As nice a saw as the 421 is, I think you will get a lot more saw for just a little more money with the 510 or 5105. I love my 5105, I swear there is an extra 15cc hiding in there. Gave a whopping $195.00 for it used on EBay. There are always some nice 510's there for well under $300.00.

Makita has been threatening to pull the plug on the Dolmar brand for about two years now. The Dolmar brand saws are not as easy to order new as they used to be, but there are still bunches of them around. The Dolmar website is still up, so I guess technically they are still alive in the USA. In any event, Dolmar Germany is still very much alive and most Makita saws are just Dolmars in disguise so factory support should be available for a long time.

If you are willing to consider something other than Dolmar, you can't go wrong with an Echo 490, 500, or 501 and there are some great deals to be had on them. See my posts in the Echo forum.

Hurtig

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the reply fordf150, this answers a lot of my questions!! :)

Are the Makita 5121's that are out there still German made or?

I totally get your point regarding the 510 vs the 5105. I had not looked at it that way. BUT, considering that my original budget was $150-$200 and I actually originally wanted a PP 5020 until I held one in my hands!!! I think I've come a pretty long way and my budget has been stretched as far as it can possibly go. Don't think I could stretch it further t0 get a 5105 at this point.

Thanks again for all the great info, it helps tremendously :headbang:

@Hurtig

the 421's your going to find are at very sloooooow dealers so your looking at a Makita EA4300 most likely for this saw.

510 is a different story, its a much slower selling saw and last i knew the makita warehouse still had some and most dealers will still have them although they will all be probably year old build dates or older.

421's were German assembly, first generation of the EA4300 was German, latest(last 10-11 months) 4300's have final assembly done in one of Makita's china factories

cant answer on the 42 for sure but i would assume since they(maryuma) are a much slower seller that they are still working thru the German assembled saws

510 is a great saw in the 50cc farm/ranch category but to most its a question of why carry lowest powered version of a given chassis when the best of the category can be had for just a little more....510/5105 are the same chassis with different cylinders resulting in the 510 being 3.3hp vs the 5105 at 3.9hp

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The 5105 is .4 lb lighter than the 510. The dealer had both on display when I bought my 5105, and I did notice the difference when I handled both.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Hurtig

Well put good answer @fordf150
Agree totally 421 /4300 and 420 are the best 40cc saw out there nothing to touch them :):)

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the topic of Dolmar vs. Makita, I still can't find a single Makita OPE dealer anywhere near me other than places that sell used rentals or online. Yet, there are still a fair number of Dolmar dealers. They aren't setting sales records but not a single one has switched to Makita. Personally, I think every one of them will just part ways with Makita/Dolmar in favor of Stihl/Husky/Echo when the inventory runs out which means that Makita accomplishes the opposite of what they intended to do. Maybe it will be different in other places, but I think that Dolmar's little piece of the pie here is going to be quickly eaten by the big three.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were the overheating/overreving problems of the 5100 supposed to have been solved on the 5100S, or was it the 5105? There is a very nice 5100S on Fleabay for $225.00 right now. Not planning to buy it unless the price goes even lower (after all, I paid $195.00 for my 5105), but I am wondering if the 5100S suffers the same problems as the 5100.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were the overheating/overreving problems of the 5100 supposed to have been solved on the 5100S, or was it the 5105? There is a very nice 5100S on Fleabay for $225.00 right now. Not planning to buy it unless the price goes even lower (after all, I paid $195.00 for my 5105), but I am wondering if the 5100S suffers the same problems as the 5100.
As far as I know it were the PS-5000 that had heat related issues, not the PS-5100!

I could be wrong though, so don't take me by my word.

The PS-5100S(peed) has a higher limited coil, supposedly to improve limbing capabilities.

I am looking at a PS-4600S that keeps popping up, but the price the seller is asking is just too high for a used saw in that cc class.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm @FergusonTO35 I think it was the 5100s that had overheating problems that saw was sent out running quite lean too pass EPA regs some stated where running over 14k
The 5105 was redesigned and cooled a lot better and the catylic converter muffler was added and the saw was richened up

But still a good saw to have in your arsenal

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm @FergusonTO35 I think it was the 5100s that had overheating problems that saw was sent out running quite lean too pass EPA regs some stated where running over 14k
The 5105 was redesigned and cooled a lot better and the catylic converter muffler was added and the saw was richened up

But still a good saw to have in your arsenal
I did say I could be wrong!

I don't own a PS-5k (yet), as such my brain isn't storing all and any information I encounter about them.

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I understand it; the 5105 has been designed for better cooling and it doesn't have the higher rpm of the 5100S. I believe the heating issues of the 5100 were indeed because of lean settings more than anything else. Good running saws!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk