Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This.

Also:
- Yes the Makita EA7300 & EA7900 feature an SLR or CAT muffler, both restrictions can fairly easily be removed if You are handy tinkering on things. Also, the old style muffler containing just a bird cage can still be had and I believe it is a direct bolt on - though the mufflers flange area should be matched to the size of the exhaust port. Yes, gutt the SLR/CAT muffler and enlarge the muffler outlet, it really wakes these saws up!
- I have never broken a chain brake on any of mine, but I also only have four so I may not have a good measure. Who manages to break the chain brake flag or chain brake band on these must be quite ham fisted. Don't worry about the chain brake, it is sturdy just as the rest of the saw.
- Take a really good look at the Makita EA7300! She is unjustly overshadowed by her big sister the EA7900. I have two of the 73's, they will make chips pulling even a 36" B&C setup. You can choose the 73cc variety to save some cash, or invest the savings on a heated handle version.
- Lastly and most importantly, You do not need a local Dolmar/Makita dealer in order to purchase a Dolmar/Makita saw. First off, these saws a built very sturdy and if You know how to use a saw You will not encounter unexpected failures. Any wear and tear parts You can secure preemptively with a little attention and basic maintenance.

Most of the above is valid if:
- You know how to use a chain saw
- You know when a chain is dull and when it needs to be sharpened or replaced
- You don't brute force Your saws through the wood by over utilizing the saws bucking spikes

I have no Dolmar dealers in my town, I don't even utilize the Croatian main Makita distributor for Dolmar/Makita parts and items - I get my Dolmar stuff from Germany and it works perfectly fine for me.

Hey now, what are you trying to say about my hands lol. I had a brake band snap on one of mine. I have no idea how. Was just doing some quick relaxed firewood cutting and suddenly realized it wasn't working. Don't even know for how long it was like that really. The only thing I could deduce is that there was a lot of buildup behind the brake mechanism cover and that could have somehow helped cause it. Not sure as I gave it even more regular compressed air baths then, but had never pulled that cover. Now it is part of the cleaning process. Still amazed at the amount of junk that gets in there.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happy Friday all! I have a few 50cc saws and I’m looking for something in the 70cc range to complement my current lineup. I’ve been doing a lot of research, but still have a few questions and want to see what your thoughts are.

Appears new saws today in the US are of strato design due to our friends at the EPA and many are going to electronically controlled carburetors.

How are the strato saws holding up, I’ve seen some complain they run to lean?

How are the electronic carburetors holding up?

I’ve found Dolmar now branded Makita EA7900 appears to still be a non-strato design with non-electronic carburetor, and fairly priced at Bailey’s. Looks like they did put a cat carb on it to comply with EPA. Only negatives I’ve seen is the chain break appears to be weak and can easily break, also they can run hot.

Any opinion on the chain break?

Is a different muffler available to remove the cat and restrictions? Assume this would significantly reduce heat and provide more power.

I’m fairly handy, but I don’t have any Makita dealers in the area, should that be a concern?

Any other saws I should consider?

Thank you all in advance for any feedback, greatly appreciated!

It is really the only saw in its class I consider based on price/quality alone. I constantly search for them used and every once in a while a great deal shows up. Cat mufflers need dealt with. Don't have any that had the SLR so I can't say. Don't have any problem with mine running hotter than any other saws I have. They are two stroke after all and will be hot by nature. Best thing one can do is run quality fuel and oil, but that is for another thread. Wouldn't worry about dealers, we have a few outstanding one's on this forum and plenty of other extremely knowledgeable folks that are willing and able to help you sort things out on your own. If I were you, I'd get one... And buy up any you find on the second hand market cheap for parts lol.

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Time for a new bunch of pics of my 116 super

116S_carb.jpg

Carb is a Tillotson HS 236A injector type, same model but earlier revision than found in 116si, 120si, PS-6000i and PS.6800i.

116S_muffler_inside.jpg

US-spec muffler. This one is an easy one to open. I burnt the carbon with an acetylen torch. The bird-cage is originally surrounded by a spark arrestor screen which I have removed. Then opened the four slots of the inner plate to be approx. twice as wide than original. This should do it mufflermod-wise.

116S_muffler_outside.jpg

Muffler's outside has received a new coat of high temperatur paint. I think this USspec muffler looks a bit weird when compared with european fare which have a nice round side-pipe and not such a gaping mouth...
The muffler is apparently part no. 119.174.150 from SD 117, 119, 120. The IPL of the SACHS-DOLMAR 116si and 120si lists the same muffler but that must be an error since this muffler doesn't fit to the 116si and 120si: Location of 3rd screw is different!

116S_ident_label.jpg

Serial number plate. The 116 super seems to share the number pool of the 116. As I have been told by Makita service only about 8000 machines were built so this one's number appears to been taken out of the run of 116-numbers. There is no distinct model designation.

Last edited:

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now for the even more intersting part: The cylinder. It has the same dimensions than the 116 si: 36mm stroke / 46 mm bore.

116S_mug_intake.jpg
This is the intake side.

116S_mug_left_side.jpg
Left side.

116S_mug_outlet.jpg

Exhaust side. At the top of the cylinder there is the bore to hold the muffler's 3rd fixation bolt but it is unused.

116S_mug_right_side.jpg

Right side. There is no DOLMAR part number on the mug. The only designation is the manufacturers logo and two groups of imprints "12" at the bottom and "109/-1B" on the transfer's outside.
Manufacturer is "Kolbenschmidt" and since they had a plant in Hamburg where small engine parts were produced, its very likely that mug and piston were made in Hamburg as well.

Also notice: The bottom side of the cylinder is straight flat! This is very different from the (otherwise identical) cylinder of the 116si:
That one has a (I don't know how its called in english, the online dict suggests) collar bushing as can bee seen here at the bottom of
a 120si mug:

120si_mug_bottom.jpg

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now for the even more intersting part: The cylinder. It has the same dimensions than the 116 si: 36mm stroke / 46 mm bore.

Exhaust side. At the top of the cylinder there is the bore to hold the muffler's 3rd fixation bolt but it is unused.

Right side. There is no DOLMAR part number on the mug. The only designation is the manufacturers logo and two groups of imprints "12" at the bottom and "109/-1B" on the transfer's outside.
Manufacturer is "Kolbenschmidt" and since they had a plant in Hamburg where small engine parts were produced, its very likely that mug and piston were made in Hamburg as well.

Also notice: The bottom side of the cylinder is straight flat! This is very different from the (otherwise identical) cylinder of the 116si:
That one has a (I don't know how its called in english, the online dict suggests) collar bushing as can bee seen here at the bottom of
a 120si mug

Seems like I have a New 116/6000 p&c on my shelves somewhere and several to rebuild as well. I’ll have to keep an eye out for these things when I rebuild.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New dolmar/makita family photo. Please keep in mind all but 2 of these are runners with b&c’s and I get them out at least once a year to “blow the dust off and shake the cob webs loose!”

Who’s ready to play “eye spy?”

7916c3ecb315dcfb34eb2d4e40ea9114.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spy a Sachs-Dolmar 103/105 to the far left and a Dolmar PS-3410 right next to her.

Several 9000/9010's, 79's and a whole bunch of other crap that I'll gladly all take off Your hands for a small fee . . . :rolleyes:

Make another family photo, that one is very low quality, very grainy. :confused:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You spent half a day just dragging saws out then another half day putting them away!:pesas: Very nice collection.
That is half the fun!!! :D

I have to make a couple new family photos with my current lineup, stack 'em all atop my firewood log pile. :)

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Nathan,
do you have such monster trees in Iowa requiring the extreme long bar on the 166?
How long ist btw? Makes the saw next to impossible to handle IMHO.

It’s 72” (183cm), and helper handle on the business end makes 50-64inch stumps easy to do in a single pass. I get called every so often to deal with stumps and bucking on 60-100 year old trees in town that are huge and belled out at the bottom. So yea that bar has been used 6x and paid for itself already.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag