Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks
And the twin ring threw me off to.
But if it works I'll run it.
I have checked and found that the 115 (closed port) has the 2 ring windowed piston... 111 has the single ring open port cylinder and non windowed piston. Both are 44mm cylinders . Here are some pics of a 111 cylinder and piston for you to compare . All dimensions are imperial as i assume thats your preference. The 115 is not striped down for a side by side comparison .

Attachments

• Photo1454.jpg
    Photo1454.jpg
    919.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo1455.jpg
    Photo1455.jpg
    744.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Photo1456.jpg
    Photo1456.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Photo1457.jpg
    Photo1457.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have checked and found that the 115 (closed port) has the 2 ring windowed piston... 111 has the single ring open port cylinder and non windowed piston. Both are 44mm cylinders

IMHO the number of piston rings doesn't matter. Dolmar has built one and two ringed pistons into the 115 and 110.
What makes a difference is windowed vs. non-windowed pistons, the former don't work well with open transfer ports, the latter
are better suited for open transfers.
However, I have had a 112 with open transfers and windowed pistons, many combinations work but maybe not as optimal as could be.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMHO the number of piston rings doesn't matter. Dolmar has built one and two ringed pistons into the 115 and 110.
What makes a difference is windowed vs. non-windowed pistons, the former don't work well with open transfer ports, the latter
However, I have had a 112 with open transfers and windowed pistons, many combinations work but maybe not as optimal as could be.
One of a few concern I had with the 1 or 2 ring situation was where the ring ends came when putting a different piston design in a cylinder than was factory spec.... May or may not be a issue.
The dimensions of the piston and what it covers or doesn't cover within the stroke may just end up being to different along with the window V non window situation also a possible further negative.
At least the 111 and 115 have the same diameter and stroke so hopefully the dimensions i posted will give some assistance.
As a side note....Interestingly Dolmar are using a slab sided non windowed piston in some of the closed port saws now rather than the windowed sort.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it's a CP head.

One of a few concern I had with the 1 or 2 ring situation was where the ring ends came when putting a different piston design in a cylinder than was factory spec.... May or may not be a issue.
The dimensions of the piston and what it covers or doesn't cover within the stroke may just end up being to different along with the window V non window situation also a possible further negative.
At least the 111 and 115 have the same diameter and stroke so hopefully the dimensions i posted will give some assistance.
As a side note....Interestingly Dolmar are using a slab sided non windowed piston in some of the closed port saws now rather than the windowed sort.
Aren't them new Dolmars using the slab side pistons bottom feed ports?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have checked and found that the 115 (closed port) has the 2 ring windowed piston... 111 has the single ring open port cylinder and non windowed piston. Both are 44mm cylinders . Here are some pics of a 111 cylinder and piston for you to compare . All dimensions are imperial as i assume thats your preference. The 115 is not striped down for a side by side comparison .

So I measured my window piston and it was the same as you or measurements.

And feel free to use metric. We use it at work and that's what these saws a set up with.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So I measured my window piston and it was the same as you or measurements.

And feel free to use metric. We use it at work and that's what these saws a set up with.
Good...You have options then along with NCfarmboys offer .
I do use imp and metric depending .... Miles ,feet and inches but the small stuff I tend to use mm only .
I think of the US as mostly a Imp user so I try to offer what folks may be comfortable with. :)

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dolmar parts lists show the same piston for both 111 and 115, so they are interchangeable, regardless of the number
of piston rings.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good...You have options then along with NCfarmboys offer .
I do use imp and metric depending .... Miles ,feet and inches but the small stuff I tend to use mm only .
I think of the US as mostly a Imp user so I try to offer what folks may be comfortable with. :)

Think of it this way General Motors has been using metric bolts since the late 70s

We've gotten use to it.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag