DOLMAR/MAKITA The Official Sachs Dolmar Dolmar Makita Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

rsting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also it may just be tuned lean. With the coil being limited to 12,800 on these it sounds plenty rich but may be lean. Only way to be sure is tune it in the cut.
I'm wondering if that may be a lot of the problem. He said the dealer didn't put a tach on it or cut with it. Just adjusted it down till the limiter kicked in and called it good.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm wondering if that may be a lot of the problem. He said the dealer didn't put a tach on it or cut with it. Just adjusted it down till the limiter kicked in and called it good.
A tach won't help with the limiter. If you tune it below the stock limiter it'll be way rich. Best way I know is to ruching it till it 4 strokes in the cut then slowly lean it out till it clears up.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A tach won't help with the limiter. If you tune it below the stock limiter it'll be way rich. Best way I know is to ruching it till it 4 strokes in the cut then slowly lean it out till it clears up.
I tune my saws 100-300 rpm under the coils limit with a cheap eBay tach - they run fine for me.

Non stainless steel muffler can be uncrimped cold, I did two non-SLR and one SLR muffler like that.
If the saw will otherwise stay stock, removing the SLR and enlarging the stock muffler outlet will be sufficient.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tune my saws 100-300 rpm under the coils limit with a cheap eBay tach - they run fine for me.

Non stainless steel muffler can be uncrimped cold, I did two non-SLR and one SLR muffler like that.
If the saw will otherwise stay stock, removing the SLR and enlarging the stock muffler outlet will be sufficient.
Remember the 7910 has a 12,800 limited coil, not the 13,600

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remember the 7910 has a 12,800 limited coil, not the 13,600
I know that, I do have a couple of these saws :p and I'd like a couple more! :)

My PS-7310 is limited to 12.8k, but since I gave her a MM she's running like a scalded dog.
In comparison, she was trotting like a three legged dog before.

I'll upload videos any time soon now.
I recoded the HD camera clips to smaller sized files, just have to upload them to YouTube.

The higher limited coil is 13.5k. ;)

Dolmar PS-7310 with mild muffler mod but otherwise factory stock:
DSC08089.JPG
DSC08117.JPG DSC08119.JPG P1030900.JPG

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If a coil is limited, is that the highest rpm the saw will get up to?
I guess I should consider myself lucky when my Stihls get up to 16k still 2 stroking. Lol

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A Tac tune is posable from basic settings ..see pic of carb i assume you have on the saws in the USA.

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 16.14.23.png

Go ..."way rich".. (11500 approx) and then bring it in towards the limiter slowly with a hot motor ...But stop once you see no increase in RPM around 12600-12800.... the limiter screws with the readings the closer you get to it anyhow...I find the amount you can close the H jet down between basic setting and before the limiter function starts is significant and can account for leaner H jet settings than you want, so forget about seeking over the 12800 max free RPM. Set like this I get a saw that is clean at 10000 rpm under a good load and stays pulling well.
Perfectly posable to trust basic settings as a start and then see how it cuts in the wood as has also been advised ...I find they will 4 stroke easy under lite pressure but clean up with a load.
Personally.. I like using a Tac in from way rich .

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If a coil is limited, is that the highest rpm the saw will get up to?
I guess I should consider myself lucky when my Stihls get up to 16k still 2 stroking. Lol
Than who cares lol as long as it's not hitting the limiter in the cut I'm cool with it
The highest in cut rpm's I've seen on my saws was a tad over 11k, that puts the usable rpm's below the coils limiter.
I mostly get 10.5k in cut rpm's, therefore I don't even care about the coils being limited.

Is there any reason you couldn't put the older style muffler on it?
7910 muffler has a brace on the front with 2 separate fixings for the bracket...something to take into consideration.
SLR muffler is heavier due to the SLR, my guess is that's why the SLR has a brace.

Non-SLR muffler has a smaller opening toward the cylinder, it is suggested to match it to the SLR style cylinder.

Other than that the non-SLR should be a direct bolt on to a SLR cylinder.
I have both but never tried swapping.

Unmodified SLR muffler will not fit a non-SLR cylinder due to the mufflers tube reaching into the cylinder.

Non-SLR muffler
DSC05599.JPG

SLR muffler
DSC07471.JPG

rsting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, turns out this is all just a learning experience. This morning he brought in his non sale 7910 that I rebuilt last winter and wants me to take the cylinder, piston, and muffler off of it and put on this saw. Ok, will do. Haven't looked, are the carbs the same or should I swap them too?