High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

Gotti002

OPE Member
Local time
9:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi, new here.... Not familiar with how to post or search for things quite yet...Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I am in search of a poulan 306a, if anyone would like to share any information that would be great!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi, new here.... Not familiar with how to post or search for things quite yet...Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I am in search of a poulan 306a, if anyone would like to share any information that would be great!

Welcome and are you looking for information on the saw or looking to buy one?

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a couple been thinking bout selling.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
[emoji383][emoji847]

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry about that out burst, couldn't contain myself

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome aboard and stick around. Lots of great guys here and a wealth of information.

Gotti002

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you, looking forward to it, I found this on accident, looking for a saw, some of the guys got some real nice collections! I'm still learning how to move around on this site but I'm getting better I think lol...

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very nice!
Now a question about my 3400 poulan. Wears Craftsman black and grey.
It stumbles at idle, but runs great other wise. I'm suspecting an air leak. Cylinder still looks good.
I openned the side of the muffler up somewhat, since I didnt care for the rear exit deflected forward thing too much.
My thimg about vac testing is with the oiler pump. I took it all apart today, and found no problems. Diaphragm is good and soft. No apparent leaks. It still seems like its burning a little bar oil. I used compressed air to check the check valves, and didnt feel any air bypassing. Can I vac test this thing thru the cylinder and be able to detect if its the oiler pump? I know I can pack grease around the crank seals.
Anyone had issues like this?
Also, if you have one of these, and you havent taken the oiler pump cover plate off in awhile, you definitely should. Theres a TON of crud that hides back there. Lots of open space to fill up.
Did you rebuild the carb? Just me I would start there. If there's junk around the oil pump I figure it's everywhere else.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, carb has been gone through. Seems to be burning some bar oil. I'm betting the case sealant let go in the oil tank area like Steve said. Havent had time off work to pressure test it yet. Was leakimg air from the intake spacer gasket, but I got that fixed.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, rigged up a redneck pressure tester. Have an adapter made from a spark plug that I knocked the center out of. Epoxied a 1/4" hose barb on that. Connected a piece of tubing from that to a pressure regulator I robbed from a dead air compressor. Put a Quick coupler on the other side. Turned the regulator on my compressor down to 20 psi. Turned the salvaged regulator to zero, then connected air line. Blocked off cab and exhaust with gasket rubber under carb and muffler. Filled oil tank full. Slowly increased pressure to steady 10 psi. I know I need a valve between regulator and air supply line to see if saw will hold pressure.
I havent done that part yet, as what I suspected after I was told here by some knowledgeable folks seemed to be proven without that.
I am seeing a steady flow of bar oil out of the vent jiggler hole and the bar pad outlet.
That can only mean that pressure is getting into the oil tank from some where.
Before I blow this thing completely apart, I'm going to pull the oiler pump and plug the impulse line just to make absolutely sure the pump housing/gasket/diaphragm isnt leaking and letting pressure into the oil tank.
Got a feeling its not, since I already pulled the pump and looked it over pretty good.
Guess I'll probably end up doing new crank seals while I'm in there. Top end looks pretty good thru the exhaust port. Compression is pretty good. Want it to run right, but dont want to spend more than I could buy another saw for.
I'm going to donate it to my nephew for his landscape business, so theres a good chance I'll never see it again.
Dont mind. Saw was given to me, and I see he is trying hard to make a living. Dont mind helping someone who is trying to be self sufficient and not rely on the govt(working class tax payers) to support them.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely want to make sure impulse from the crankcase to oil pump isn't bleeding over to oil tank. Would give you a false reading.

S Sidwell on Tapatalk

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the 3400 apart today. Only bled once. Stupid rear av mount screw!
Looks pretty good in there. Cant really tell where the sealant gave out, but there is one spot that looks suspicious. Piston cleaned up nice with just a little wire brushing and scotch brite. Bearings all look good. Want to at least replace crank seals while I'm in this deep. Anyone got an aftermarket number for those?
Also seems the gas tank doesnt come out til the case is split, correct? Goes in the flywheel case half from the clutch side.0929191258.jpg 0929191258a.jpg 0929191259.jpg