POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still don't know why the lower brace is bare steal, no paint on it any where. Bow is factor to the saw, 14" bow on this one.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to a big retailer to pick up some plumbing stuff yesterday and of course I had to make sure that the plumbing stuff hadn't been merged with the OPE section. Examined a new Poulan 3816 that was on the shelf. Make no mistake I have no intention of getting one, but I thought it looked pretty solid for a sub-$150.00 saw. Certainly no worse than Dad's MS-170. Anybody ever run one of these things? I think I have an older non-AV version in my OPE junkyard. I've owned a couple of the non-strato 2000 series from the 90's and 2000's and have always found them to be a really good cheap saw.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dad has had a few, tune them and run them til they die.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to a big retailer to pick up some plumbing stuff yesterday and of course I had to make sure that the plumbing stuff hadn't been merged with the OPE section. Examined a new Poulan 3816 that was on the shelf. Make no mistake I have no intention of getting one, but I thought it looked pretty solid for a sub-$150.00 saw. Certainly no worse than Dad's MS-170. Anybody ever run one of these things? I think I have an older non-AV version in my OPE junkyard. I've owned a couple of the non-strato 2000 series from the 90's and 2000's and have always found them to be a really good cheap saw.

What you may find interesting is that the 34XX, 38XX, 40XX and PP42XX all use the same carburetor, cylinder, crankshaft and piston.

That makes the 34XX a real bargain as you are getting a 42cc saw. It also makes it the snappiest 34cc (LOL) saw out there.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's different on the engine, my wild thing 4018 would out cut dad's little 38cc all day.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beats me. All the PN's for the parts listed above are the same as is the carb. I'l leave that to you to figure out.

If I had to guess I'd say it was the chain.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember the 2050 and 2150 I had were exactly the same under the hood. With a good tune and decent chain they were surprisingly capable. My Echoes have spoiled me in the small saw dept. so I really dont miss them. Still, I have to give Poulan an A for effort considering how the marque has been reduced to damn near nothing.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
trying to replace o-rings on poulan 361 manual oiler. How to remove thumb button so can slide new o-ring on without breaking thumb button

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well dad don't run those box store Poulans anymore, he runs a little echo now. CS 32 something, bro got it for him. Said he likes it, much lighter for him to piddle with than that Poulan was. It was heavy with a 14" bar for him.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beats me. All the PN's for the parts listed above are the same as is the carb. I'l leave that to you to figure out.

If I had to guess I'd say it was the chain.
Maybe that's why he grabs up my light saws now, don't think he can sharpen one like he used to. I remember when I was little, dad would be in the shop hand sharpening all his chains while I sit on a stool watching him. Would take over an hour it seemed to sharpen those chains. Of course those were long chains for the bow saw. Now it takes me just a couple of minutes with the bench sharpener. Sometimes if he knows I'm gonna go sharpen all mine, he'll get all his up for me to do also.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never mind. Figured it out.
Mounted the pump rod upside down in bench vise with the jaws holding the nut. Squirted some kroil where button snaps on to the rod. Adjusted small crescent wrench to diameter of the rod and placed it against the bottom of the button. Taking a SMALL hammer i GENTLY tapped on the wrench at the base if the button while firmly grasping the wrench handle being careful to strike it in alignment with the rod. Voila’ popped off. Project done

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well dad don't run those box store Poulans anymore, he runs a little echo now. CS 32 something, bro got it for him. Said he likes it, much lighter for him to piddle with than that Poulan was. It was heavy with a 14" bar for him.

That's one thing I noticed about the current Poulans, they are rather big and heavy for what they are. 'Course, alot of Stihl and Husky homeowner saws are too.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe that's why he grabs up my light saws now, don't think he can sharpen one like he used to. I remember when I was little, dad would be in the shop hand sharpening all his chains while I sit on a stool watching him. Would take over an hour it seemed to sharpen those chains. Of course those were long chains for the bow saw. Now it takes me just a couple of minutes with the bench sharpener. Sometimes if he knows I'm gonna go sharpen all mine, he'll get all his up for me to do also.

Some years ago we were clearing trails after a bunch of micro bursts went through an area. I had an Echo CS310 then. Little tiny saw and I was out cutting a guy with a Stihl 290 all day. All in the chain. A sharp chain is the most important thing you can have in any saw.
I like them when they are getting close to being worn out. They cut the fastest then if the depth gauges are filed correctly.

You don't see many chips coming out of the front of the clutch cover.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I grabbed one of the projects I bought over the last few years. Since it seems everyone wants a runner not a project to do themselves.

I was told this one was a runner when I bought it PHO. Dang it was, after a quick check over . Took alot of air and brushing to get some of the jammed packed chips everywhere. One of those saws that must have never been cleaned. I even left the old fuel line and impulse line as they looked ok to test with. 1999 Poulan 3450 54cc

I even dug through my parts and found 1 3750 380 60cc OEM used piston and cylinder kit.

IMO I wouldnt change it from the 54cc being it cut so dang good just now in some dry ash with 16" 3/8 buried. With that big dawg maybe 14" cutting.

Pulled them dang epa stops too while tuning. Piston looked like they had been running old mix over the years. Think the batch I am running now is VP racing 40:1 e-free 90. Wondering how long to see if it is cleaning it up.

Some wrong fasteners but I dont give a rip about such things myself.

p3450xz.jpg p3450xzz.jpg p3450xzzzz.jpg p3450xzzzzz.jpg p3450xzzzzzz.jpg

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like my 3450, and it's the first of this series of Poulans that I have run. Cuts real good, and doesn't have to take a back seat to anything that size. The next project is a 3000 that was just acquired. From what I've read, they're good runners too!

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really like my 3450, and it's the first of this series of Poulans that I have run. Cuts real good, and doesn't have to take a back seat to anything that size. The next project is a 3000 that was just acquired. From what I've read, they're good runners too!

Just check your rings. Thin and NLA new unless NOS.

Also great chrome bore 49cc saw.

I have turned down a couple of them as runners on my CRG. Just to many saws in the sereis. Trying to move them not keep taking them in.

Thinking of redoing the 380 here with the topend in 3450 pic. I had pulled carb and other topend for another saw and a trade to another guy for his saw.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All cleaned up, new lines, full carb kit, new crank seals and another starter pulley. Pulley had two damaged teeth, guess po snatched started it one two many times. She runs real good. With have to sink it in some wood to finish off tuning it.
b826a1d004c25571d96f8db11680295b.jpg
fe3bf00ed77af3873d9998f3f05b5d66.jpg