POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
1:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally pulled the trigger on one of these, needed a fuel line which I replaced, went ahead and cleaned out the carb, re-sealed the air filter, really kinda surprised at how well it runs, used a homey super EZ 16" bar with chisel chain, now if it warms back up I'll go out back and give her a try.......View attachment 11232

You won't be disappointed. I have used one pretty hard for the last year, and it has been great. Took a few tank fulls to really break in, and required a fair amount of fiddling for me to get the carb just right. A muffler mod made a big difference, and I modified the AV on mine as well. I still run the 20" bar that came with it, but as soon as it needs to be replaced I'm putting an 18" on it.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Muffler mod on one of my Poulans. I like to use a small piece of pipe as a deflector.

View attachment 11772 View attachment 11773

For a minute I thought. Holy Cow! there's two chainsaw guys in Carpenter. The guy in the avatar looks familiar though. I also don't think there's two guys with 475's in Carpenter.
We had our biggest snowfall this winter over the last two days. It amounted to about 2-1/2 inches. It's been nice. Still time for the other shoe to drop though but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and so far, it's not a blue light.

Nice job on the muffler.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
For a minute I thought. Holy Cow! there's two chainsaw guys in Carpenter. The guy in the avatar looks familiar though. I also don't think there's two guys with 475's in Carpenter.
We had our biggest snowfall this winter over the last two days. It amounted to about 2-1/2 inches. It's been nice. Still time for the other shoe to drop though but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and so far, it's not a blue light.

Nice job on the muffler.

Hey Tim how ya doing. We had a pretty good cold spell but now it has warmed up pretty good for the last 4 or 5 days. We are getting a lot of high winds though.
I am still loving the simple life here in Carpenter and things are going well. I have a Jonsered 2077 to go along with that 475 now also. Those saws just get with the program. I have about 12 cord split and stacked drying out. That is about 4 years worth for me now. I may take it a little easier next year.

So sounds like you are having a pretty dry winter up there.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Tim how ya doing. We had a pretty good cold spell but now it has warmed up pretty good for the last 4 or 5 days. We are getting a lot of high winds though.
I am still loving the simple life here in Carpenter and things are going well. I have a Jonsered 2077 to go along with that 475 now also. Those saws just get with the program. I have about 12 cord split and stacked drying out. That is about 4 years worth for me now. I may take it a little easier next year.

So sounds like you are having a pretty dry winter up there.

It's been a warmer winter here and dry. We have had some rain as there were lots of days over freezing. I has been more windy than usual here as well.

Nice find on the 2077.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Gotta get my poor boy hot rod up too. $20 for the saw, $8 for materials for pipe, maybe $15 for little whositswhatsins here and there for it to come together.

Yeah I seen that on you tube about a week ago is that the stock clutch gear or did you find a bigger gear

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It's been a warmer winter here and dry. We have had some rain as there were lots of days over freezing. I has been more windy than usual here as well.

Nice find on the 2077.

Hey Tim that offer on the bar still good. I think I have changed my mind and have a saw in mind for it.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sure is. I'll get it in the mail to you. Glad you could use it. Very hard steel.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-N

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is the pullchit. It was worthy of a muffler mod. This is my version of a bottom fuel dragster

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

998eb9ab1e0912e40ba1ad875eb7675d.jpg

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
started to put seals in my 401 today and discovered one of the clutch shoes is broken. anyone got one they'd part with? its part no. 2376, same as the 361. thanks for checking. jerry

Honest John

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is my craigslist find from the other day after a few hours of cleaning and a gallon of degreaser. She's cleaning up pretty good I'm hoping I can get replacement decals from sugar creek supply, and I'll probably wrap the full wrap with handlebar wrap . image.jpeg

Hoggwood

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is my craigslist find from the other day after a few hours of cleaning and a gallon of degreaser. She's cleaning up pretty good I'm hoping I can get replacement decals from sugar creek supply, and I'll probably wrap the full wrap with handlebar wrap . View attachment 12597

Sweet setup on the full wrap. IPL called for one, but I've never seen one on the 3400-4000 series. You have a pic of how that ties into the buffers from below? Looks like a solid one piece all the way through from the document?

Honest John

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No pics tonight, but the hoop is separated on the bottom. The two ends butt up together and use a block to attach. Each end has a bolt hole. I didn't realize these were that rare, but you're right, I haven't even seen a pic of another 4000 with a full wrap.

Hoggwood

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaned, filled, sharpened and fired up a Canadian Tire 3400 today in anticipation of taking it for a rip on the weekend. I've got a couple, this one included, that always need 6-10 pulls on full choke to get them to pop if they've been sitting. Probably need new metering needles as the carbs must be slowly draining.

Likely my all around favorite sounding series. I usually start them immediately upon arriving in the bush and take my sweet ol' time getting the gear on. They have such a steady rumble at idle. They are good and warm by the time I put them to work.

Poulan 3400 - Mastercraft.jpg

Last edited: