POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, can anybody tell me the carb metering lever height for a Walbro wt20 on a PP180?
Picked it up from dad. Meterimg lever looks like it might be low.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, can anybody tell me the carb metering lever height for a Walbro wt20 on a PP180?
Picked it up from dad. Meterimg lever looks like it might be low.

Ok, so I soaked and cleaned the carb. Put in a new kit. Set metering lever level with housing. Set both needles at 1.5 turns. Started right up. Was tuning the carb, and it just died. Thought I may have gotten a little lean with the high side, so I reset to 1.5 turns and tried again. Started one more time but died. Pulled plug wire and installed spark tester in line. Pulled twice and ot started, but died again after two or three seconds. Pulled plug. It was wet. New plug btw. Spark tester shows fire, but looks kinda weak to me. Suppose the coil could be getting hot and openning up/ breaking down til it wont fire plug under compression?
I havent checked coil air gap, but it doesnt look out of line.
Dad said it did the same thing to him.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spark nice and blue?

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just asking, not knowing the year model, does it have points or electronic ignition?

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so I soaked and cleaned the carb. Put in a new kit. Set metering lever level with housing. Set both needles at 1.5 turns. Started right up. Was tuning the carb, and it just died. Thought I may have gotten a little lean with the high side, so I reset to 1.5 turns and tried again. Started one more time but died. Pulled plug wire and installed spark tester in line. Pulled twice and ot started, but died again after two or three seconds. Pulled plug. It was wet. New plug btw. Spark tester shows fire, but looks kinda weak to me. Suppose the coil could be getting hot and openning up/ breaking down til it wont fire plug under compression?

It's really easy to pinch the fuel line where it comes out of the housing and into the handle or somewhere inside the handle. Check and make sure that's all clear.

As far as the metering lever height, it should be level with the floor of the metering chamber.

Last edited:

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

From memory I think I'm around 1 1/8 turns out on all of my small Poulan reed valve saws. Maybe pull the carb and reed block to make sure the reed and impulse hole are clean. If everything related to the fuel is not working all nice they can be a pain.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve, it's electronic. Fire is blue at the plug, but looks a little weak/thin to me. Put my inline Spark tester on it, and fire looked weak and red.
I pulled the top handle and checked reed. Its closed and nothing under it. Gasket looked like it might not have sealed well, so I put a very thin coat of ultra black on it before I closed it up.
Checked fuel flow by giving the line at the carb a little squirt with the air hose
Its pressuring up and flows plenty of fuel. Carb was soaked in Napa brand carb cleaner for several hours, rinsed, and blown out. New kit installed. It started right up after I put it together. Probably ran 5 minutes while I was tuning the carb. Almost had the high side right when it shut down.
I'm betting on ignition. Fuel system seems about as right as it can get.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update. Got a minute this evening, so I set the coil air gap. Looked over the plug wire, and noticed a spot where it had been hard against the cylinder fin. Wrapped it with high voltage rubber splicing tape. Put all together, and it seems to run fine. Idles pretty good. Stumbles a little now and then, but so do I. Tried a cut, but the chain is HORRIBLE. None of the angles are right, and it is DUUUULLLL!
Saw did load somewhat when I pushed on it, so that sounded good.
Looks like another one saved from the dumpster. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update. Got a minute this evening, so I set the coil air gap. Looked over the plug wire, and noticed a spot where it had been hard against the cylinder fin. Wrapped it with high voltage rubber splicing tape. Put all together, and it seems to run fine. Idles pretty good. Stumbles a little now and then, but so do I. Tried a cut, but the chain is HORRIBLE. None of the angles are right, and it is DUUUULLLL!
Saw did load somewhat when I pushed on it, so that sounded good.
Looks like another one saved from the dumpster. Thanks to everyone for all the help.
That's why I asked was the spark blue at the tester, if not blue, something amidst in the ignition, same goes with auto engines or any small engine. Been trying to teach that to my son inlaw. He's not to mechanical incline, but I haven't given up all theses years. I'm like a mosquito, persistent. That's why I have to fix his finds and boats and so on. Still haven't gotten him to start a boat motor without flooding it out, same with saws.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I handed this little guy off to my son today. He needed a smaller saw. Still ran pretty good today. Started right up. I straightenned out that nasty chain somewhat. Cuts pretty good.0402191811.jpg

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up his "new" poulan pro 3416 that he won at a Wild Turkey Federation banquet a couple weeks ago. He said it was really hard to start and would only run wide open.
I openned it up, and I cant figure out how it ran at all. EVERY fuel line was broken off, and disintegrated when I tried to pick them up. This saw was NIB when he won it. He put the b&c on and fueled it.
Put new lines on. Flooded it, since I got the primer pressure line and fuel inlet backwards, fixed that. Runs as it should after unfolding.

0402191844_HDR.jpg 0402191916.jpg

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cheap lines, what's the date code on the saw?

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I handed this little guy off to my son today. He needed a smaller saw. Still ran pretty good today. Started right up. I straightenned out that nasty chain somewhat. Cuts pretty good.View attachment 174810
Nice first saw, my first saw was a Craftsman 2.3av, looks like you're saw but red, still have her sitting in its original case.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve, I was wondering how long it might have been sitting too.
The kid bought his own first saw. 455 rancher. Not a bad saw. Then he got the ms661c. 36 and 25" bars. Got it for a deal from a tree guy going out of business. Hardly used.
My first one was a beat up 028av that someone dropped a limb on. Patched up the top and rear handles and ran until it ate a carb butterfly screw.
First and only new one is the echo cs4400 that I still have.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Picked up his "new" poulan pro 3416 that he won at a Wild Turkey Federation banquet a couple weeks ago. He said it was really hard to start and would only run wide open.
I openned it up, and I cant figure out how it ran at all. EVERY fuel line was broken off, and disintegrated when I tried to pick them up. This saw was NIB when he won it. He put the b&c on and fueled it.
Put new lines on. Flooded it, since I got the primer pressure line and fuel inlet backwards, fixed that. Runs as it should after unfolding.

View attachment 174811 View attachment 174812

When you are looking for a new chain for the 2000 check out 3/8 lp full chisel. You might be surprised how it cuts. 3/8 lp full chisel is kind of hard to find in Poulan drive link sizes though. I'm running full chisel 3/8 lp 0.050 Archer on my 2400. It's a "cheap" chain but have had no problems and quality seams good.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Mark. I got a Stihl 3/8" LP (not sure of the Stihl part #)for,the Homie Super2. Wasnt bad. Less than $15 for a 14" bar loop. Cuts really good. Looks to be a semi chisel. Told him he could spring for that for his if he wanted. I got the Oregon 91 series chain that I found for it in decent shape with the Oregon 511a grinder(not sure that model # is right, ive had it for 20+ years)

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So heres the info I got on the PP3416 with the rotten fuel lines. Any Way to make sense of it as far as a build date?0407191932a_HDR.jpg 0407191932_HDR.jpg

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
19 years old, 2010 model year according to the label. Dad has one some at his house. He finally parked it and started using his new 2 year old echo my brother got for him 2 years ago. He likes the echo better cause it starts easier and lighter. The Poulan still runs. He's got a NIB wild thing he bought 5 or 7 years ago, I may ask him for it.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my latest Poulan project going finally. It’s a Model 53, and old enough as to where they had no cares about how much noise it generates. It started today on first pull and cuts decently. Carb kit, file the points, and a paint job got it cutting.
42054cdb0597c445e213e0c8415134fe.jpg
686b47aea5d7d0c6cbb7e5f1bb3dcbde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too pretty to cut with.