MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks to be the remnants of a Model 99 two-man saw (circa 1954 or so).

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the PM700 today. She had been sitting for over a year. Fired right up on the e free 32:1 mix that was left in the tank from its last running.

No muffler cover, still. Not going to spend 45 bucks on that cover and reed assembly just to fix it. I think it runs fine without. Rattles the eardrums though.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got the 840 cleaned up, has great spark, great compression but I can’t get it to fire; even pouring a little fuel down the pipe. Fuel makes its way into the cylinder and out the exhaust.

Any suggestions?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like a lot of fuel in there. Severely flooded maybe? Try a dry plug?

Points all cleaned and gapped correctly? Flywheel aligned? Funky condenser? That's a pretty busy looking ignition system in the IPL.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of fuel in there. Severely flooded maybe? Try a dry plug?

Points all cleaned and gapped correctly? Flywheel aligned? Funky condenser? That's a pretty busy looking ignition system in the IPL.

Cleaned the plug, cleaned everything out. Points are clean and gapped perfectly. Flywheel is aligned and riding snugly on the key. Condensor is putting out a BIG blue spark, better than my 056 which runs like an animal.

I’m befuddled.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the PM700 today. She had been sitting for over a year. Fired right up on the e free 32:1 mix that was left in the tank from its last running.

No muffler cover, still. Not going to spend 45 bucks on that cover and reed assembly just to fix it. I think it runs fine without. Rattles the eardrums though.
Well you don't have to put a reed cover on it.They never worked any way ,Damned thing would rust shut if you used it .It wasn't McCulloch's greatest idea .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well you don't have to put a reed cover on it.They never worked any way ,Damned thing would rust shut if you used it .It wasn't McCulloch's greatest idea .

No but it was definitely one of their best sounding mufflers!

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are no "kits" available but y0u can get the diaphragms from Bob Johnson (607 638 9297) or customchainsawparts on e-bay. Bryce gets his from Joe Salva but it's easier to get the parts from him.

Mark

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I will say this... if it isn't rusted shut and works right, it does greatly reduce the percussion of the eardrums.

But that doesn't bother me much. It would others, but not me. Hell, I go out and shoot my .308 with flash hider (ptr, an hk copy) without plugs...

Besides, being implanted fixes the hearing problem and the processors automatically reduce sound levels to what is programmed into them...

Even so, if you can hear now, keep it by wearing plugs or muffs. Surgery wasn't fun, recovery was a PITA as well.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaned the plug, cleaned everything out. Points are clean and gapped perfectly. Flywheel is aligned and riding snugly on the key. Condensor is putting out a BIG blue spark, better than my 056 which runs like an animal.

I’m befuddled.

Is there fuel leaking out of the rest of the saw, or is it just coming out of the muffler? Because if it's missing a transfer plug, it might not run at all... but I wouldn't know if that is the case.

Maybe the coil works fine without compression to fire against... but as soon as you plug the cylinder and try to send that spark to the plug, it won't work.

Try a coil from another saw like it. Even if you have to make a few jiffy fix wires to test with. (kill switch and condenser wires)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a matter of opinion I suppose on which style muffler is the best .On that series if you could find one the muffler with the curvature in the bottom with the larger cover has worked best for me . With the baffle plate removed though it is loud but brother does it ever run . If I get some time I'll take a pic of the muffler set up on my 6-10 .That one in spite of being 12 cc's less than an 850 will walk away from same over the blocks on cants .Does pretty good on a log too .

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is there fuel leaking out of the rest of the saw, or is it just coming out of the muffler? Because if it's missing a transfer plug, it might not run at all... but I wouldn't know if that is the case.

Maybe the coil works fine without compression to fire against... but as soon as you plug the cylinder and try to send that spark to the plug, it won't work.

Try a coil from another saw like it. Even if you have to make a few jiffy fix wires to test with. (kill switch and condenser wires)

The fuel only comes out the exhaust port, I even removed the remnants of the muffler just to verify. I thought about the spark issue; I don’t have a coil that will fit but I do have a couple good condensers from 041s and an 056. I will give it a whirl tomorrow with a different condenser.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The fuel only comes out the exhaust port, I even removed the remnants of the muffler just to verify. I thought about the spark issue; I don’t have a coil that will fit but I do have a couple good condensers from 041s and an 056. I will give it a whirl tomorrow with a different condenser.
I had that same issue with an 890. Lots of blue spark, fuel, and compression. I believe it was Lee who suggested changing the condenser, I followed that advise and bingo, the saw fired and ran nicely. I dunno if your saw will respond the,same but you might give it a try with a known good condensor, no mater how yours might test out

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pics of the mufflers .The 6-10 ,right hand start has the better performance muffler with the curved bottom .I'm not sure about the 700 .I think the covers will interchange DSCN0242[1].JPG

Alaskanrocket

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good piston and cylinder for a PM700 that they would sell? Thanks, Jess

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a whole rebuilt pm700 of you're interested!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seen one on eBay around 100 bucks I think.