PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool.

FWIW, the smaller style vent valve like the ones in the 10 series caps (and similar to the common ones available) are definitely smaller valves, hence the 'creativity' caveat in using one.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very cool.

FWIW, the smaller style vent valve like the ones in the 10 series caps (and similar to the common ones available) are definitely smaller valves, hence the 'creativity' caveat in using one.
I'll see what I come up with. Thank you again

Ikeholt

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, sorry I didn't mean perfect fit on those duck bills. I meant a little MacGyver type work. Primer bulb duck bills are pretty good size.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's some superb redneckery by @Hoggwood for a Pioneer fuel cap vent using SealAll to glue the tube to the inside of the cap after using the nail (or very small brill bit) to perforate the top. Just slide the vent over the tube with maybe a smidge of adhesive and instant tank vent using one of the common valves. 'Course the Mac cap has the brass cover piece as an additional challenge, but the principal could still be applied.

Pioneer Fuel Cap Vent 2a.jpg

Pioneer Fuel Cap Vent 1a.jpg

Pioneer Fuel Cap Vent 3a.jpg

cm76

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Nice saw - love the 125's.

Your saw appears to be a CP125 and not an SP125. Yours has the DSP lever and cylinder shroud and not the poppet decomp valve like the later SP125. Your saw also has the small kart type muffler that was std on the CP125. Would be interesting to see the lower handle brace mounting arrangement - the CP125 brace mounts onto the bottom of the oil tank using a different mount / bracket arrangement to the SP125, however I have seen CP125 saws that have been modified with the SP125 config.

It is a nice find - CP125 is not as common as the SP125.

Chris

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless I'm mistaken the CP has an iron liner .That's a good thing because if the need arises it can be over bored .With the SP and again unless I'm mistaken they are all chrome plated and if the plating goes bad you have two choices .You either replate it or make an iron liner .The later is a pain in the buttocks to do .I think I'm the only one who had that procedure on the internet .You should be able to pull the muffler and determine which you have by looking through the ex port if your curiosity gets the best of you .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might add also the big fat caps from early large Macs will do on that saw .One of my 125's has that type

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice saw - love the 125's.

Your saw appears to be a CP125 and not an SP125. Yours has the DSP lever and cylinder shroud and not the poppet decomp valve like the later SP125. Your saw also has the small kart type muffler that was std on the CP125. Would be interesting to see the lower handle brace mounting arrangement - the CP125 brace mounts onto the bottom of the oil tank using a different mount / bracket arrangement to the SP125, however I have seen CP125 saws that have been modified with the SP125 config.

It is a nice find - CP125 is not as common as the SP125.

Chris
You are correct it's a cp, it has the SP conversion for the better av I've been told.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken the CP has an iron liner .That's a good thing because if the need arises it can be over bored .With the SP and again unless I'm mistaken they are all chrome plated and if the plating goes bad you have two choices .You either replate it or make an iron liner .The later is a pain in the buttocks to do .I think I'm the only one who had that procedure on the internet .You should be able to pull the muffler and determine which you have by looking through the ex port if your curiosity gets the best of you .
It's the sleeved cylinder, I've already checked lol

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I could be wrong but from what I've read, the C after 125 indicated a chrome bore.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An sp 125 still has an iron liner and often an adjustable "H" side carb. An sp125c has the chrome plating and fixed jet carb. Also some cp's were upgraded to the sp's AV system.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't say aye or nay on the fixed jet but both of mine are fully adjustable .Now my 105 did have a fixed jet until I changed it .

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The fixed jet makes for a nice working saw, yes it may cut cookies slower or have been a slower production saw, however it lets you just get to cutting without spending time tuning no matter the altitude or other conditions. One less thing to hassle over and worry about for the logger who is not a saw nut or enthusiast.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the fixed jets were an early attempt to prevent people from tuning them lean .Then they cook the saw and then squawk about it .I try to replace them if I can find a substitute .
The only one I haven't is on old Poulan /Craftsman I used as a climbing saw before I had the Stihl 200T's .Now on that my buddy has a fixed jet on an 020T and believe it or not it runs pretty good .I was surprised .

cm76

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I think the fixed jets were an early attempt to prevent people from tuning them lean .Then they cook the saw and then squawk about it .I try to replace them if I can find a substitute .
The only one I haven't is on old Poulan /Craftsman I used as a climbing saw before I had the Stihl 200T's .Now on that my buddy has a fixed jet on an 020T and believe it or not it runs pretty good .I was surprised .
I have read the same thing Al. My 895C carb also has a fixed high speed setting.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken the jets were sized for the elevation of where the saw was sold .If I get time and remember it I could look in my Tillotson book and see if it says anything about it .If that's true it might explain how my buddy's 020T runs so well .Then again if you land a saw sold in the Rocky mountains it might not do so well in northern Ohio with an elevation of around 800 feet or vice versa tuned for 5000 or above .I know from experience at those altitudes you have to crank in the high speed jet else they chug pretty hard .

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken the jets were sized for the elevation of where the saw was sold .If I get time and remember it I could look in my Tillotson book and see if it says anything about it .If that's true it might explain how my buddy's 020T runs so well .Then again if you land a saw sold in the Rocky mountains it might not do so well in northern Ohio with an elevation of around 800 feet or vice versa tuned for 5000 or above .I know from experience at those altitudes you have to crank in the high speed jet else they chug pretty hard .
I cut wood with my sp125c fixed jet at 3000 foot and sea level and it ran the same and never missed a beat. Maybe 5000 feet would be different but it just chugs along no matter where I cut with it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
--however keep in mind that 125 probably was sold in that area when it was new .That saw was never popular outside the realm of the large PNW trees .I'm certain even back then they were very expensive .One of mine came from Oregon,the other California but they had adjustable jets .