MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you pretty much nailed it .When I originally replaced the peeled chrome cylinder on the 805 with a cylinder from an 850 the coil mounting tabs were just a tad long which would have worked but I filed them off a tad so the coil would line up center with the flywheel magnets .Weather it actually was the cylinder or the crank stub on the 805 was a tad shorter I never took the time to figure out .
So in a nut shell in general terms my thinking is the parts would interchange but might need some slight modifications in some cases.
You know it's hard to remember this stuff if you don't take notes which I'm guilty of .I just gather a pile of parts and sees what fits what .Good thing I have a bunch of parts .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If that bulk line at Napa is anything like the tygon looking bulk line at Knecht's then avoid it like the plague. That chit swells up when in contact with gas and starts slipping off the barbs. The fuel filter falls right off. It takes a few weeks but it happened to every piece I've ever used.

Yep.

Just cause it's yellow doesn't make it Tygon. But just cause it's Tygon doesn't make it golden, either. For the most part, yes. But the Tygothane LP 1500 (low permeation) stuff is pure evil. Designed for EPA vapor permeation compliance, it has an inner membrane (or two depending on the series) that's supposed to keep fuel vapors from "permeating" the tubing walls and into the atmosphere. (Yeah. Huh?...) All it really does is separate from the inner wall, collapse, plug the line, and in a few cases I've seen, slide out the end of the hose on the fuel filter end with the filter still attached. Imagine all the vapors getting into the air just replacing a piece of this crap. Sheesh. Troubleshooting this can also be a real pita if you've never run into it before. Hose can look and feel fine but fuel delivery is impaired leading to all kinds of other 'normal' areas to check before you remove what otherwise looks like a relatively clean fuel filter finding the membrane all collapsed and twisted.

And whatever bonding process is used for the inner membrane also seems to leave a residue when it begins to break down. Not sure ethanol is even the cause of the problem..., more like the bonding process itself is given to unequal expansion and contraction between the layers causing the separation. Regardless, LP is not the type of Tygon you want. There are several variants of it including clear and you're likely to find one version or another on any recently manufactured homeowner 2 stroke equipment.

F-4040-A is the tried and true Tygon most of us put quite a bit more faith in.

But I digress....

I still want a PM850 anyway, Al!

Last edited:

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep.

Just cause it's yellow doesn't make it Tygon. But just cause it's Tygon doesn't make it golden, either. For the most part, yes. But the Tygothane LP 1500 (low permeation) stuff is pure evil. Designed for EPA vapor permeation compliance, it has an inner membrane (or two depending on the series) that's supposed to keep fuel vapors from "permeating" the tubing walls and into the atmosphere. (Yeah. Huh?...) All it really does is separate from the inner wall, collapse, plug the line, and in a few cases I've seen, slide out the end of the hose on the fuel filter end with the filter still attached. Imagine all the vapors getting into the air just replacing a piece of this crap. Sheesh. Troubleshooting this can also be a real pita if you've never run into it before. Hose can look and feel fine but fuel delivery is impaired leading to all kinds of other 'normal' areas to check before you remove what otherwise looks like a relatively clean fuel filter finding the membrane all collapsed and twisted.

And whatever bonding process is used for the inner membrane also seems to leave a residue when it begins to break down. Not sure ethanol is even the cause of the problem..., more like the bonding process itself is given to unequal expansion and contraction between the layers causing the separation. Regardless, LP is not the type of Tygon you want. There are several variants of it including clear and you're likely to find one version or another on any recently manufactured homeowner 2 stroke equipment.

F-4040-A is the tried and true Tygon most of us put quite a bit more faith in.

But I digress....

I still want a PM850 anyway, Al!

Great info Poge.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I younger friend of mine needed to borrow a saw to get rid of some cottonwood trees on his In Laws property a few years ago so I sent him off with a PM800.

untitled (310x325).jpg

SP 80 getting it done after the PM800 ran out of fuel.

DSC02746.JPG

A different SP81 running well.
DSC00478.JPG

Mark

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
62DE0D9A-337B-41A9-93BA-A8D6DBDA630B.png 30FCE0E8-B183-4513-A116-950AF6044607.png BCC4ECBE-814E-4F37-AC46-0FF70BDCF206.png Pretty clean super 550 on ebay right now. Can’t afford it right now so I thought maybe one of my fellow members might want it. Don’t know much about macs but I kinda like this one but have no idea if they are any good or desired.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
12:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 94380 View attachment 94381 View attachment 94382 Pretty clean super 550 on ebay right now. Can’t afford it right now so I thought maybe one of my fellow members might want it. Don’t know much about macs but I kinda like this one but have no idea if they are any good or desired.
103cc's....pretty cool saw. I just missed one a number of years ago on a local CL ad. The seller had no idea what it was(his dad's old saw), and he let it go for $150.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked them up after I saw it and I was thinking it would be a nice one. I’ve seen a few 550’s and couple s550 over last year or so maybe I’ll buy one later.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
S550 is a very nice saw. It replaced the 795 with both being 103cc's.
You would not think an older design front tank would replace a top tank. They seem to weigh the same but I never measured the ones I had. A very interesting history there.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have chance to buy a mac cp125 for 75 bucks been sitting 15 years with b/c super clean for 75 bucks guy says no spark but good compression is it worth it.i know very little of these saws.please help

Last edited:

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have chance to buy a mac cp125 for 75 bucks been sitting 15 years with b/c super clean for 75 bucks guy says no spark but food compression is it worth it.i know very little of these saws.please help
If be all over any 125 for $75. Good runners fetch $350 - $900

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If be all over any 125 for $75. Good runners fetch $350 - $900
Its super clean too hopefully points will clean up.ive had stihls all my life matmy need some help on her.with getting running and parts.its all complete hes 2 hours away,but will be working bout 45 min from me in couple weeks

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wouldn't be waitin a couple weeks. That's how things disappear.
I'd be in my car and goin ta git it. That's a smoking deal.
Really only thing is im busted up from a fall and ive bought 3 sawsin last 2 weeks mommas not real happy and saws 2 hours away.i tried to get him halfway