MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know, I know. Truth be told Tim, I've been luckier than most with any number of my more desirable acquisitions over the years and have no complaints whatsoever. It's just that a PM850 and a nice 7-10 seem to be eluding me (or cost way more than is even remotely reasonable when I do run across either one). Would probably get struck by lightning if I even wished for a 125! LOL

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
6:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know, I know. Truth be told Tim, I've been luckier than most with any number of my more desirable acquisitions over the years and have no complaints whatsoever. It's just that a PM850 and a nice 7-10 seem to be eluding me (or cost way more than is even remotely reasonable when I do run across either one). Would probably get struck by lightning if I even wished for a 125! LOL

I just sold a super nice 7-10! My brother has an 850 i gave him for Christmas a few years ago. He loves it!

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, me too. No complaint here in what I've been lucky to pick up. The blind pig and the acorn thing Poge.

No 850 here but I do have a 7-10 and a CP125. I feel lucky about that. Just weird luck I guess from little tree country.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's all about the right place at the right time .Some times with a pocket full of money but some times not so much .850,805.SP 81 and 800's come along every so often .So you either go for it or let it go .Not too long ag0 an 800 came up about 15 miles from me and I let it go because another member expressed an interest in it ..I for one have no desire to corner the market on them .It's a hobby or an interest to me which a lot of people just don't understand .If I wanted to make a cookie cutter I have the knowledge and it would not be a McCulloch .Which is not saying they are something that should not be restored and used .I mean after all they aren't made any more . On the other hand neither is a Vincent Black shadow if you know anything of vintage Brit bikes .

raumati01

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's all about the right place at the right time .Some times with a pocket full of money but some times not so much .850,805.SP 81 and 800's come along every so often .So you either go for it or let it go .Not too long ag0 an 800 came up about 15 miles from me and I let it go because another member expressed an interest in it ..I for one have no desire to corner the market on them .It's a hobby or an interest to me which a lot of people just don't understand .If I wanted to make a cookie cutter I have the knowledge and it would not be a McCulloch .Which is not saying they are something that should not be restored and used .I mean after all they aren't made any more . On the other hand neither is a Vincent Black shadow if you know anything of vintage Brit bikes .

close , but not the same model

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Richard Thompson did a good version of the song. Reckless Kelly did an awesome live version.
Black Lightning is a bit more rare than a shadow.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Richard Thompson did a good version of the song. Reckless Kelly did an awesome live version.
Black Lightning is a bit more rare than a shadow.

A co-worker and i have a continuing discussion on is kelly a man or woman and what makes him/her reckless? :D good band either way!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the Vincent which of course is off topic I've seen three in my life time .One ran 156 mile per hour,misfiring at Pences drag drag strip near Sidney Ohio circa 1963-64 .One of the production supervisors at work who was an Englishman knew and was friends with the son of either Phil Vincent or Phil Irving and had one of the design drawings they made on a bed sheet that was given to him.
Even more .My dad was in England around 1965 for the start up of a Ford tractor plant near Surrey and became friends with Denny Duesenberg who was a Ford design engineer .This guy had a bunch of the early design drawings for the automobiles .Had it have worked a little differently I'd have spent my senior year of HS in England .

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just sold a super nice 7-10! My brother has an 850 i gave him for Christmas a few years ago. He loves it!

That was a nice looking 7-10 except inside of fuel tank. Glad you got to enjoy it. Not sure what it got parked with in tank for all those years it just sit in barn.

Have a PM10-10 older version with points ign that sit in shed for 20 years with full fuel tank. Tank on it looked like it had stalactites or icicles of metal goop growing in it.

Did you ever do anything with the extra PM55 engine I had traded to you? May have to trade again...

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL Steve!
I know what youre saying.
It was actually "reckless" Ned Kelley. He has a bank robber from Australia. Made a bullet proof jacket and helmet.

Al, that would have been cool to get that close to that much knowledge.
Sorry for the derail.
Back on track, I love my 7-10A!
Has the best balance with a 20" bar, and best power to weight.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was a nice looking 7-10 except inside of fuel tank. Glad you got to enjoy it. Not sure what it got parked with in tank for all those years it just sit in barn.

Have a PM10-10 older version with points ign that sit in shed for 20 years with full fuel tank. Tank on it looked like it had stalactites or icicles of metal goop growing in it.

Did you ever do anything with the extra PM55 engine I had traded to you? May have to trade again...

I still got it. Was going to put it in a 10-10 frame but have yet to materialize! I can send it your way!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That tank had water/high moisture no doubt!

IMG_20180101_170945.jpg

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve,
I'll get up with you sometime on that engine.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 1010A with a tank like that. It Also has a grenaded wrist pin bearing and ruined cylinder. Parts for the one my dad gave me if I ever get around to it.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got around to cutting some firewood yesterday. The wife and I got about a cord of almost to rotten Water oak bucked, split, hauled, and stacked. Took the 1010S, 7-10A, and PM700 with us. Did most of the smaller stuff with the 1010S. Got the 7-10A out for the larger stuff. Was going to noodle the gnarly ones with the 700, but it decided to develope a bad fuel leak. Have to go back for the noodling0126201022_HDR.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW that corrosive reaction on the inside of that tank ( white death ) most likely was caused by at some time being in ground contact or concrete .I've seen high end screen/ storm doors fall apart from the inside out from exactly the same thing which took years to happen .I'm not talking 89 dollar Home Depot types these are over 300 bucks a pop. Aluminum and it's alloys is considered a sacrificing metal .It becomes absorbed in essence through electrolysis some times called galvanic action .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. Had to replace a door just like that a few months ago. I believe what you described, plus keeping it propped open sometimes for dog entry/ exit allowed it to be filled with water. Its on the screen room we have attached to the free-standing garage. Put up "air door flaps" as well to help with flying insects.
Have noticed some saws that have pitting on the bottom of the casings from sitting on concrete. Luckily, none of my grandads or dads saws were ever on concrete. I have wood on the concrete where most of the saws I use readily are kept.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW that corrosive reaction on the inside of that tank ( white death ) most likely was caused by at some time being in ground contact or concrete .I've seen high end screen/ storm doors fall apart from the inside out from exactly the same thing which took years to happen .I'm not talking 89 dollar Home Depot types these are over 300 bucks a pop. Aluminum and it's alloys is considered a sacrificing metal .It becomes absorbed in essence through electrolysis some times called galvanic action .

So somebody stored their leftover concrete in the fuel tank?o_O