MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another way to ignore it would be to drain oil tank when you park/store it. Especially if you are not using the 700 regularly. When grab 700 to use it, put the bar oil in then. Your skeeters will stay happy too.

Now you’re thinking! That’s what I’ll do. I like tos tore them all full and ready but that’ll help this guy. I’ve got a 10-10s that leaks oil everywhere. I think it just needs new tank gaskets too. Sad because it’s so beautiful.
95f0f36c1c0da821f40aa8a17d799c57.jpg

I love me some McCulloch but I haven’t had the best luck getting any one of them fully running 100% yet. Have a pm10-10 and pm55 still waiting for love.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, I always have a couple macs with some maintenance item that waits until I can get to them too.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, there's all of one bolt holding the oil tank cover on. If you're gonna drain the tank to store it, may as well pull the cover to inspect the pump and check everything to make sure it's not just something a little loose allowing some seepage into the case.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, there's all of one bolt holding the oil tank cover on. If you're gonna drain the tank to store it, may as well pull the cover to inspect the pump and check everything to make sure it's not just something a little loose allowing some seepage into the case.

Good point as well. When I get some time I will do that. Been trying to help my boys with their projects recently so all my stuff has gone to the side. They don’t like my saws as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
11:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that smoking oiler .I suppose if it really is a bother you could pop the end of the oil tank off and screw the piston adjustment screw all the way in to block the pump action and just use the thumb oiler .The thumb button puts out plenty of oil you just have to get used to using it .--drain the tank first though because bar oil makes a mell of a hess all over every thing .

That wont fix it. Only make your auto oiler inoperative. The oil is leaking in from a poor seal between the auto oil pump and the tank. Mark covers the 3 different methods of attachment in the link Kevin posted. The only real way to fix it for good is to drill the oil tank for a 3 bolt attachment of the auto oiler. Other wise find the seal kit with the rubber gasket and stainless clip.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one 10-10 that seeps some oil into crankcase and I just park it dry as haven't took the time to make the 3 bolt attachment for it yet.

Now most of 10 series I have that haven't had cork gasket replaced in fuel tank halves, I will keep some fuel in them in storage & refresh it if not used timely. This is to keep that cork swelled up in them. Over time I have been replacing those fuel tank cork gaskets with plain rubber or just Dirko sealer.

Having fuel tank in halves is nice for cleaning and refurbishing, but on other hand can leaves a place for leaking. Had to seal a tractor fuel tank with Red Kote today. It would have been nice for time saving in prep if that tank would have been in halves.

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I just conquered a moody pro mac 55. Ran the saw out of gas the last time I used it(6-12 months ago). Not sure if it was ran out of e-10 or can fuel but saw wouldn't start after storage. Pulled carb and cleaned/rebuilt and pres/vac tested the fuel line. Carb still wouldn't pull in any fuel after this. Well after taking carb back off/apart a dozen times/ soaking. I finally figured out I put a welch(not sure on name) plug in the wrong place. Removed that plug today and she fired up after a dozen pulls or so. It's a fixed jet walbro sdc-49. I've been fighting this carb for a week and feel so good now that it's running better then ever. I've always thought the 57cc macs were sporty compared to the SP/PM 60's which I feel are designed for torque. Just my uneducated opinion but anyway I'm glad to have this mac running again. Now I just gotta get the automatic oiler working better and she's back in action.

I'd also like to say thanks to all who sent me service manual ipl's/pdf's the last few years. They were a big help figuring out how the carb should be assembled. I need to remember that the last guy that touched a saw may not have assembled it properly. So it's nice to double check with service manuals you guys sent me

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a couple of 10 series that puff a little blue smoke if they sit for a long time but they clear up after about a minute so I just cut away fogging mosquitoes at the same time . It's actually kind of handy at certain times . By far the worst are the PM 610 cinder blocks .Those things can get to leaking so bad they hydra lock the cylinders .Those I have a few extra brand new pumps . I'm not sure how many piston pumps but over the years I've amassed some then comes the question where are they .I only wish I could be as organized as Mark but so far I haven't been able to do that .
More times than not the mid size like a 10-10 ,700 die from the needles blowing out of the bearings on the piston ,people give them away then you amass boxes full of parts .That's where the pumps come from .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ppavolko

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That should work. I am not planning to ever run the saw so i shouldnt need to cut the bar at all. Dont even know if i will put a chain on it. That should be perfect. Cheap and easy. Thank you!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW if you want it's almost possible to adapt any bar to any saw .Now nothing as insane as a mini Mac to a 125 or something like that .However for example some Husqvarna bars to 10 series Macs .They won't all fit but some will with no alterations involved .The only way to know that for certain is to have a lot of bars which I do .
Having said that the easiest is mid sized Stihl mounts using spacers on the bar slot .For one everybody makes them .
On the actual subject a 10 series bar should be easy to find .More than likely at any saw shop in their dead pile would be a bunch of 10 series they have no intent of doing anything with them .They might give you the bar .Hell you might even get the entire saw for little of nothing .

Ppavolko

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have another potentially dumb question. On my 10-10 auto, the black paint seems like its a wrinkle finish. What do you gentlemen use to replicate the paint? I was told in another thread the yellow matches with safety yellow so i will grab spme of that.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have another potentially dumb question. On my 10-10 auto, the black paint seems like its a wrinkle finish. What do you gentlemen use to replicate the paint? I was told in another thread the yellow matches with safety yellow so i will grab spme of that.

Rustolem krinkle black. Almost a perfect match. Lets see if we can get Kevin @Gizzard to post a pic of his PM60. The top cover on that is oe paint and the air filter cover is rustolem.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only picture I have of the PM60 on this desktop is not a close-up and can't tell much on it. I can photo it tonight and post. @Steve are you saying the tank top is OEM black and air filter cover is the rustolem krinkle black on the PM60? If so, it is nice match or at least in my poor eyesight opinion.

The saw in my avatar picture was the rough finish black on tank top and smooth black on air filter cover. It is a 10-10 built from miscellaneous parts laying around though. On that saw, I just repainted over the tank top with regular black rustoleum and it smoothed out nice to decently match the smooth black on air filter cover.

For keeping stuff looking OEM though, I think you are on to something with that Rustoleum crinkle black and will get a picture of that PM60 saw tonight.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only picture I have of the PM60 on this desktop is not a close-up and can't tell much on it. I can photo it tonight and post. @Steve are you saying the tank top is OEM black and air filter cover is the rustolem krinkle black on the PM60? If so, it is nice match or at least in my poor eyesight opinion.

The saw in my avatar picture was the rough finish black on tank top and smooth black on air filter cover. It is a 10-10 built from miscellaneous parts laying around though. On that saw, I just repainted over the tank top with regular black rustoleum and it smoothed out nice to decently match the smooth black on air filter cover.

For keeping stuff looking OEM though, I think you are on to something with that Rustoleum crinkle black and will get a picture of that PM60 saw tonight.

Yep, i put a NOS tank top on it and a neoprene tank gasket.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
10:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody know what model saw this is and what it’s worth? It’s on Craigslist locally.
upload_2020-1-16_18-43-8.jpeg