MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Majorpayne

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@heimannm Any tips on putting the grommet in? They are soft and a wide shoulder in the tank opening. I messed 2 up.
9370f05b428b0d5fb4ff93ec400001f8.jpg

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use some lube like you did and start by squeezing the grommet into an oblong shape and feeding into the hole and then use a popsicle stick to work it in while putting pressure on the seated part with a finger to keep it from popping out.

Once you have it mostly seated you will have to push it in further to get the flange to pop out on the inside of the tank. It takes a bit of patience but once you get going it's not too hard.

Majorpayne

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use some lube like you did and start by squeezing the grommet into an oblong shape and feeding into the hole and then use a popsicle stick to work it in while putting pressure on the seated part with a finger to keep it from popping out.

Once you have it mostly seated you will have to push it in further to get the flange to pop out on the inside of the tank. It takes a bit of patience but once you get going it's not too hard.
I will try it again tomorrow. I have 47 left.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I like about the wd40 is that it coats the intire part, and is slick, have used grease before but the wd40 works better for me, spay the opening as well, like fossil said collapse the grommet and work it in with a small stick

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used vaseline. I think the problem is the wide shoulder of the tank opening plus the rubber being so soft.

I forgot to add that you may have to trim the grommet flange on the top side in the carb box to clear the lip on the tank so the rest of the flange sits tight. I'd do that once it's in and seated on the tank side because it will move around a bit when installing.

Majorpayne

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot to add that you may have to trim the grommet flange on the top side in the carb box to clear the lip on the tank so the rest of the flange sits tight. I'd do that once it's in and seated on the tank side because it will move around a bit when installing.
Thanks. Looks like I need to get some pop sickles to start with.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not Astro Glide? Lol
Whatever you can get your finger on,so to speak .
Now that humor aside the best super slick I've ever found for slipping a big tractor or truck tire over the rim is water based wire pulling compound which it's just an industrial strength KY jelly .

Majorpayne

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whatever you can get your finger on,so to speak .
Now that humor aside the best super slick I've ever found for slipping a big tractor or truck tire over the rim is water based wire pulling compound which it's just an industrial strength KY jelly .
Thanks. Does Dollar General have it?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's larger than the built in grommet on the old line .The idea is if you can get the grommet in the tank hole you cut a bare fuel line at a sharp angle so it goes through the grommet and seals the line .Pull an ample amount into the tank using a long pair of hemostats and cut it off square to put the filter on . Without comparing it to anything ,( I could of course )

it's got to be tight to be good --thus the KY ,Astro glide ,wire pulling compound ,WD40 whatever .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.416 is what I get for the diameter of the panel opening on a Pro 10-10 tank. That's gonna be a mighty tight fit regardless of the lube. Only place for it to give is the inside diameter where the new fuel line needs to go. Another approach may be to cut off the wall collar of the grommet that'd otherwise go inside the tank and hope the friction fit will keep it in place once the new fuel line is pulled through..., if you could even get that through the hole.

Just thinkin' out loud...