MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, HF made tractors in Dearborn after they parted ways with Ford? Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I thought all USA HF production was in Detroit. Mine is from the MHF era and says Racine, WI on the serial tag but everything I have read says it was made in the Detroit plant.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, was a Side job a few months back. NAA was the first Ford tractor that wasn't a joke in my opinion.

Have to admit, the 9N was pretty darn nice compared to most other tractors when it was introduced. But yes, the 8N was way behind the times when the last one was produced.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to skew too far off but the 9N was indeed a Hairy O design .When uncle Henry broke off the oral agreement and decided to roll his own ole Hairy did too and later moved operations from England to Dearborn just to rub salt in the wound .It's quite a story .BTW it was Hairy's TE20's that went to Antarctica not Henry's 9N or 8N .Those were painted red so they could be seen better in the snow than the original battleship gray .This carried over to the Massey 35 .--Okay back to McCullochs---

Either way I prefer other tractors!

WP_20150221_16_34_03_Pro.jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have to admit, the 9N was pretty darn nice compared to most other tractors when it was introduced. But yes, the 8N was way behind the times when the last one was produced.

Yes, for 1939 standards. The main thing I despise on them is how they run the hydro pump off the PTO. Why not run it off the input shaft in front of the PTO shift sleeve? But we better move on. Anyone been to Lake Havasu?

ursinykb24

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well she's a screamer it was hesitating found out that the new style composite type fule filter was like porus plastic instead of the felt then I gave it the old one and it lit up like a crazy screaming machine I'm surprised it's pulling the 32 inch 404 bar without to much of a problem
095fa5350c68bd15f018a1ab7379f577.jpg
0f716ae3b264724be1f5596e1f3756ff.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken H. O. Ferguson was either an engineer for John-Deere or a salesman .Where he came up with the first three point hitch I have no idea but it was on a David Bradley made in England .He made a deal with Henry to market the 9N and Ford manufactured it for a set amount of money .However towards the end Ford had more money in them than HO was paying for them .That caused the break up .If I'm not mistaken some time after the break up Fergy came out with the double clutch live power take off .It was the Fergy to35 and I think the Ford Jubilee circa 1953-1954 (which used an engine driven pump ) .John Deere and Oliver and perhaps others used an over center clutch to do the same thing.
As this progressed Fergy merged with Massey-Harris and thus Massey -Ferguson . Back to McCulloch again .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Harry's 3 point was first on his "black tractor" and was with David Brown that he produced the Brown- Ferguson "A". Lighten up Al! We can only talk about Mr. McCulloch's innovations so long before a brief recess. :)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah yes indeed after a jog of memory it was Brown not Bradley ,he was Sears and Roebuck .Good old R P McCulloch was indeed another genius until he lost his mind and bought London Bridge of all things .Through family connection he was related either through marriage or birth to Evinrude, Briggs and Stratton .Interesting fellow .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Posted by @ajschainsaws a few pages back. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_P._McCulloch

Interesting read that covers most of that in some detail. Sounds like he knew exactly what he was doing when he founded Lake Havasu City in Arizona and bought the bridge. Was still making decent saws back then, too. The deep end came a little later.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, for 1939 standards. The main thing I despise on them is how they run the hydro pump off the PTO. Why not run it off the input shaft in front of the PTO shift sleeve? But we better move on. Anyone been to Lake Havasu?

The TO-30 had it in 1951. Ferguson first offered live power with the TO-35 Deluxe around 1956-57 I believe. I don't know when Ford started offering it, but they continued to make non-live power tractors into the 1970's, my grandfather (same one who had an 8N) bought a 2000 so equipped brand new in 1971. Sorry, I can't not talk about tractors when the opportunity presents itself.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The TO-30 had it in 1951. Ferguson first offered live power with the TO-35 Deluxe around 1956-57 I believe. I don't know when Ford started offering it, but they continued to make non-live power tractors into the 1970's, my grandfather (same one who had an 8N) bought a 2000 so equipped brand new in 1971. Sorry, I can't not talk about tractors when the opportunity presents itself.

NAA was first Ford offered with live power as an option.

I only know all of this Ford history because I service/repair a bunch that are in my area. I may not like them but money is money!

I love talking tractors. That's how I learn!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have always been JI Case or Zetor. My in-laws bleed AC orange! Same here with the new Holland equipment too. With the exception of our current balers. Heston 540 and a John Deere 336.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tractors any time any day I’ll talk about them till the cows come home

Here’s a interesting snippet

View attachment 137547

My great uncle used a JI Case VAC just like the mine above for many years till he needed more power. Got a massy 165 diesel. It got sold and he replaced it with an international 84 hydro. Then traded it twords a Case IH 685 which he currently uses. He likes them Perkins diesels.

My father in laws AC 175 has a Perkins in it too. It's a good running engine.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are good engines the 165 was a fantastic engine so reliable
20+ yrs ago me and a friend put a 165 diesel in a mk1 Range Rover
We had too cut out the bonnet so the rocker cover could poke through
Then had a cowling made up with a mesh front it looked like a freaking camel to us but most people thought there was a blower underneath
God the torque was amazing and so was fuel economy

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then had a cowling made up with a mesh front it looked like a freaking camel to us but most people thought there was a blower underneath

You sir are awesome!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

:campeon: