MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I cleaned up the 110 sharpened up the chain and was impressed by the power. I don't think the 201t's at work are much more powerful if at all. The muffler puts out a lot of heat, I wouldn't want to touch the muffler cover. If I was climbing w/ it I would wear gloves or even wear gloves if using it for a few tanks straight. That was the good and for the bad, the auto oiler is not working. I can't say I've seen anywhere to attach a lanyard other then wrapping something around the handle?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A trio of PM 610's On the left my fathers that I inherited which is slightly enhanced .Middle mine which I ran the pizz out of .Right my sons that I replaced the coil on which is a little later in production than the other two

Attachments

• DSCN0321[1].JPG
    DSCN0321[1].JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 23

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I cleaned up the 110 sharpened up the chain and was impressed by the power. I don't think the 201t's at work are much more powerful if at all. The muffler puts out a lot of heat, I wouldn't want to touch the muffler cover. If I was climbing w/ it I would wear gloves or even wear gloves if using it for a few tanks straight. That was the good and for the bad, the auto oiler is not working. I can't say I've seen anywhere to attach a lanyard other then wrapping something around the handle?

My understanding is the impulse driven oiler on these tends to clog up or, even worse, let bar oil get into the crankcase. Most of the cheaper minis only had the manual oiler, the provision for the auto oiler is conspicuously missing when you take it apart. It is possible even that your 110 may only have the manual oiler even if it says "automatic oiling" on the case, line workers tend to take shortcuts when they need to get product out the door. In any event, there should be an oiler assembly with the 110 that is headed your way.

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there any preference for chain size for the mini mac's? 3/8th's LP or 1/4"? I see 1/4" isn't exactly the cheapest chain.
Rather then act like I know what I'm talking about I figure I'll just ask these questions1. What are the benefits of one or the other? Will 1/4" cut faster then the 3/8th LP or would 3/8th's LP cut faster but will need more power to pull it threw wood?
I'm gonna guess you could run a longer bar w/ 1/4" then 3/8th's LP due to smaller cutters?
I did some searches but it's mostly 3/8ths vs 3/8ths L/P debates
Thanks, due to the hate for this saw it's probably hard for you guys to talk about them. Sorry for any pain induced by bringing these little saws up.

This is a set up I've been looking at
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BAR-CHAIN-...E-BAR-3-8-050-44L-222987-X-BLACK/390984160024

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many small saws originally came out with 1/4" chain .Somewhere in time came 3/8" lo profile after that .I got a mint 015 Stihl for my wifes cousin that had 1/4" and two or three extra chains .The first saw I ever bought ,a Poulan s-25 had 1/4" chain which I now have it in 3/8 lo profile .Circa somewhere around 1974 -1975 .As for the chain it's doubtful if 1/4" is any faster except the hard to find Oregon chisel tooth which they took off the market .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some time ago I bought a big box of obsolete chains from flea bay simply because it had a few loops of new 1/2" chain .In that box was and maybe still maybe a dozen OEM McCulloch brand 14" loops in chipper style for the mini's it was 3/8" lo .So based on that evidently it's been around a long time .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If a person had a real love for a mini which I don't if you wanted a faster cut you could always have a loop of Stihl rapid super spun up .I think it's the only option of finding actual chisel in 3/8" lo on the market unless somebody else jumped on the band wagon .I don't keep up with things like many do so I really have no idea what's on the market these days .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there any preference for chain size for the mini mac's? 3/8th's LP or 1/4"? I see 1/4" isn't exactly the cheapest chain.
Rather then act like I know what I'm talking about I figure I'll just ask these questions1. What are the benefits of one or the other? Will 1/4" cut faster then the 3/8th LP or would 3/8th's LP cut faster but will need more power to pull it threw wood?
I'm gonna guess you could run a longer bar w/ 1/4" then 3/8th's LP due to smaller cutters?
I did some searches but it's mostly 3/8ths vs 3/8ths L/P debates
Thanks, due to the hate for this saw it's probably hard for you guys to talk about them. Sorry for any pain induced by bringing these little saws up.

This is a set up I've been looking at
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BAR-CHAIN-...E-BAR-3-8-050-44L-222987-X-BLACK/390984160024

It's a 30cc saw, no magic tricks to make it any stronger. That being said, my Mac 160 would keep up with my much newer Echo CS-3000 no problem. Both used 14" bars with 3/8 Oregon VXL chain, which is an awesome chain for small saws.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to skew too far off but the 9N was indeed a Hairy O design .When uncle Henry broke off the oral agreement and decided to roll his own ole Hairy did too and later moved operations from England to Dearborn just to rub salt in the wound .It's quite a story .BTW it was Hairy's TE20's that went to Antarctica not Henry's 9N or 8N .Those were painted red so they could be seen better in the snow than the original battleship gray .This carried over to the Massey 35 .--Okay back to McCullochs---