MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just kind of thinking outloud, a seeping bar oil leak..unless then oil level was above the the pulse port of the Oiler(and that is above 3/4 full) would have to be stuffer leak? If it was the Oiler gasket it would be an air leak until
The auto Oiler was primed? And if the Oiler was an issue it would only leak what was in the Oiler? Or it was stored bar mount up? Not trying to sound like a jerk

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just kind of thinking outloud, a seeping bar oil leak..unless then oil level was above the the pulse port of the Oiler(and that is above 3/4 full) would have to be stuffer leak? If it was the Oiler gasket it would be an air leak until
The auto Oiler was primed? And if the Oiler was an issue it would only leak what was in the Oiler? Or it was stored bar mount up? Not trying to sound like a jerk
It was on a shelf no bar oiler had whatever was left from the last tank so I'm sure it wasn't much

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was on a shelf no bar oiler had whatever was left from the last tank so I'm sure it wasn't much
Did it want to hydro lock or just burn bar oil? If it was just burning bar oil did it clean up or continue?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would be a little more difficult than usual to pull over if it had much oil in the case. Ya sure it's not just residual mix?

Pull the muffler and drain it out the exhaust port to see what you actually have in there..

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn't even start it honestly just pulled it a couple times and seen bar oil build up on the muffler
Your sure it’s bar oil? And is it coming out the port? Or is it just around or on the muffler? It kind of common to have some old residual mix to come out of the muffler, if it’s raw red bar oil you have an issue

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 550 that does the same thing if I leave the oil tank full. I actually have to remove the spark plug and pull it over a few time to clean the cylinder before I try to start it. The oil tank on that saw is not on the opposite side of the stuffer like it is on the SP models. Though I can't explain how the oil is getting through the automatic pump, it does manage and yet the saws will always start and run so the stuffer (crankcase bottom) is in good condition.

Mark

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2106CD41-1819-4E7A-B514-15E5CA176FE4.jpeg 51A915EE-382B-4832-B754-0A9E91A98169.jpeg
As you can see the only port open to the crankcase is the pulse port, if the gasket was bad and the oil level is full it can leak directly into the crankcase, also if the auto Oiler leaks oil into the pulse port it can get into the crank case, but only the amount of oil that is in the Oiler, or if the stuffer is seeping oil, crack or hole,it can get into the crank case.
It's definitely bar oil

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 126865 View attachment 126866
As you can see the only port open to the crankcase is the pulse port, if the gasket was bad and the oil level is full it can leak directly into the crankcase, also if the auto Oiler leaks oil into the pulse port it can get into the crank case, but only the amount of oil that is in the Oiler, or if the stuffer is seeping oil, crack or hole,it can get into the crank case.
10 4 thank you

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 550 that does the same thing if I leave the oil tank full. I actually have to remove the spark plug and pull it over a few time to clean the cylinder before I try to start it. The oil tank on that saw is not on the opposite side of the stuffer like it is on the SP models. Though I can't explain how the oil is getting through the automatic pump, it does manage and yet the saws will always start and run so the stuffer (crankcase bottom) is in good condition.

Mark
Mark have you tried storing it a little low, so the oil doesn’t reach the pulse port? That gasket could seep without causing a major vacuum leak

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about the oil pump push rod hole where the rubber bushing seal is. Maybe that there is an area that is allowing oil to find it's way into the crankcase.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about the oil pump push rod hole where the rubber bushing seal is. Maybe that there is an area that is allowing oil to find it's way into the crankcase.
Ya that is a possibility as well, it would have to leak through the stuffer gasket.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It it was me I would pull the oil tank and stuffer look for corrosion or possible pin holes in the stuffer, check the stuffer gasket and tank gasket for signs of leakage, the oil pump gaskets are hard to come by, so I don’t take them apart unless I have to! The tank and stuffer gasket are available, I buy kart stuffer gaskets and add the manual Oiler hole, they are super cheap in a ten pack!

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the odds of a problem with the crankcase bottom (stuffer) are small. The oil is getting through the automatic oil pump via the impulse route.

Around here a "Batteries Plus" store can make up the replacement cells.

Mark