The Official Log Splitter thread

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's an oldie. Hydraulic tank is the main beam. I modded the wedge a bit in addition to a previous mod.
upload_2016-8-23_13-47-13.jpeg

upload_2016-8-23_13-48-10.jpeg

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It works pretty well for me. I split a lot of wood by hand but this is for all the gnarly stuff. And when my body doesn't want to run a maul... I had a much larger splitter until some low life liberated it. Nothing ever said "no" to that one...

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which one do you like better and why? Or better yet, what are the strengths and weaknesses of each?
Sorry to be so late chimin' back. Biggest strength of both splitters is the output. The SS HD for obvious reasons, but now that I've got a slip-on 4-way for the Dual Split, it can crank out the splits as well with a 7-sec cycle time each direction. As far as the SS goes, I'd say it's weakness would be real stringy wood like elm, as others have mentioned about their SS's. I have no experience splitting elm with mine. I've put some gnarly, crotched stuff on my SS, and sometimes it takes a hit or three, but it goes through it. As far as a weakness on the 20-ton Dual Split, whether using the standard double edge knife that's welded on it, or the slip-on 4-way over it...have not put anything on it yet that it won't push through. And I mainly split red oak, white oak, hickory, pecan, and occasional pine.

I would say for the money, and if you got a good back, the Dual Split is hard to beat. Mine is the NT Powerhorse version, no longer available though. Brave sells them now, but for about $400-500 more than I paid for the NT version. GNE used to sell a black/gray painted Dual Split at one time...it was a couple of hundred more than my NT version, it came with a Honda GC 160 or so engine I believe. As far as engines go, the 206cc Chinawan engine that came on my NT Powerhorse version has never missed a beat, never failed to crank in two pulls. Just sips fuel all day long.

Last edited:

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
time for a bump. I know some of you have pulled the ol splitter out for the fall cutting season, it's still a bit warm for me, I wait till Nov. Like splitting in the 50s and below.

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Had mine out this past weekend. Was in the upper 60s and low 70s for a bit. The cooler got a good work out though. Didn't get any pics, but I have some around here some wheres though.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Did a cord last week, got my filter leak fixed and the honda is running good after rebuild.
BBB

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that worked I see .Any ways I'm not all that fancy with paint etc.Functionality is what I go for .I need to do some more to it,better tongue for one,clamps for the hoses,a cable system to set it upright .That SOB is heavy .I use a cable come-along to set it back horizontal now .

Attachments

• spliter 002.JPG
    spliter 002.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 59

tomtrees58

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a1lk77.jpg

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rented a fast cycle once. it was sweet. what size motor the gx 270 or 390?