huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
12:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blue rod from the heat, needle cage has a little damage and the wrist pin is also a little blue.
Yep. I'm guessing it wouldn't have lasted much longer. The limiters were still in place and the H screw was out as far as it could go.

Should be good to go now

Quzick

Santas little S*itler...
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blue and blown in pieces are not the only problems in todays "high-tech" equipment.
"In my own opinion" Some crankshafts tolerances right from the factory are done so that ball bearing is acting more like an bushing. it means crank can spin freely and does not move the inner race of a bearing. (may lead to major error, vac and pressure leaks)
picture example from 5.series (i have seen it on every type 5.series 50-60cc saw, newer or older by working hours, before 2015 update )
560.jpg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blue and blown in pieces are not the only problems in todays "high-tech" equipment.
"In my own opinion" Some crankshafts tolerances right from the factory are done so that ball bearing is acting more like an bushing. it means crank can spin freely and does not move the inner race of a bearing. (may lead to major error, vac and pressure leaks)
picture example from 5.series (i have seen it on every type 5.series 50-60cc saw, newer or older by working hours, before 2015 update )
View attachment 115077

Sadly......the 5 series is my least favorite Husky. Great runners........for awhile.

Quzick

Santas little S*itler...
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sadly......the 5 series is my least favorite Husky. Great runners........for awhile.

sadly, but there are mentioned examples, like mysterious unicorns, what can do 2000hours on them :D

but let the crankshafts fly!

5.series deserves another thread where we can fight or argue about :D

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sadly, but there are mentioned examples, like mysterious unicorns, what can do 2000hours on them :D

but let the crankshafts fly!

5.series deserves another thread where we can fight or argue about :D

We have some threads devoted to those models. As you say my friend, some users have very good service from them.......others not so much.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am from the Campbell clan.
We all have stuff in our history.
Thinkin of doin battle with the POS Pulon in the shop. Maybe start with a battle axe

Wish i had some pics of the Chevy SB cranks that scattered. Oh yeah bent rods too.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am from the Campbell clan.
We all have stuff in our history.
Thinkin of doin battle with the POS Pulon in the shop. Maybe start with a battle axe

Wish i had some pics of the Chevy SB cranks that scattered. Oh yeah bent rods too.

Nice one here.....

small-block-powered.jpg

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a large can opener went after the pan. Rod wanted out bad too.

We had one that created a 4 piece crank, 3 piece camshaft, busted bellhousing, main input shaft in the iron cased 3 speed tranny, both heads and had aluminum in the carb and a booster was loose in it too.
A little oil fire for added drama. The car coasted into the pits right up to the trailer where i put out the fire.
Dirt track racing is fun!

Chainsaws are cheap compared to cars as well as a little less dangerous during a rapid disassembly event.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sadly my dealer has a pile of 390 cranks all have the lower rod bearing broken, those and the 372 xtorq are notorious for failures here. I thinks the piston is to heavy on booth models, the 385 has a much better reputation here, odd that 1mm in bore diameter is the only difference between them.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Careful fellas, we're getting dangerously close to degrading this thread into an oil thread.... ( me saying this as one of if not the first to mention mix oil! LOL):aplastao:

Anyway, wouldn't it be pretty fair to say that crank failures are mostly the result of either sheer age/hours or compromised lubrication? Obviously a certain number would be due to factory defect or gross operator error/abuse, but wouldn't those be the statistical minority? I could be wrong..

Wish I had some pics of dramatic crank failure to share, but I don't.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ever press one apart Randy? I know we can't get replacement crank components...but just out of curiosity I'm thinking about trying to press apart my 288 crank that has a failing lower rod bearing.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ever press one apart Randy? I know we can't get replacement crank components...but just out of curiosity I'm thinking about trying to press apart my 288 crank that has a failing lower rod bearing.

Yep. I even made a jig to hold em in phase.