junkman

Crush it
Local time
5:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
81zE9OFsJnL._SL1500_.jpg
I had some cracked marine exhaust manifolds on a 454 leaking water from freezing and cracking ,this stuff repaired them with no leaks ,ran it for a year before i bought new manifolds ,was not leaking still when changed them.it was made for fixing cracked aluminum boats ,pretty tough stuff .

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I stopped using Devcon and went back to good old fashioned JB Weld. The Devcon putty is much harder to get into the corners of the intake port.....which makes me wonder if it's also not getting into the divots I drill to help the epoxy bond.

I've used JB Weld in a metric chit ton of intake ports......and have yet to hear about a failure.

But....I don't use it for anything else. Wallowed out threads get inserts, or welded up. Cracked parts get pitched in the trash or welded and powdered.

Anyone wanna buy some unopened Devcon?
What type?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
There is better types of Devcon for for filling in transfers but its much more JB like in that its slightly runny and needs to be dammed up to prevent it from shifting /flowing from where its needed. We have been using it since the 70`s around the boatyards/marine slips and repair facilities. Type 10710 for aluminum based repair mixed in a 5:1 ratio would repair the busted out side of a crankcase where a rod was thrown, bottom ends of outboards where gears had broken and smashed out through the castings, cylinder blocks that had froze and busted water jackets and so on. The yard used to bring in 30 lb pails of it, we all snuck a bit of it home...LOL
Good stuff. Nothing modern about it.
Not to derail the jb talk butt...
This stuff works great I've used it a few times
Just work fast as soon as you stop squeezing it out the mix tube the end hardens. You have to be quick.
It hate stuff with fast pot times.
There is a few different consistency types, some are putty like, some are more mastic like and others almost like molasses. The 10710 is more like molasses, it will run, flow or seep depending on the temps around it when applied but it will get into any pores that are there, the holding power was very strong. One of the ,lead hands, put a busted aluminum crankcase together with it, after curing we all took a turn smashing it apart to check the bond and it worked like welding does, it would break new metal before the Devcon bond would let go.
Done that. Good real world test.
It definitely will not bond to galvanized surfaces, galvanize is a tough item to get any bonding to as its a sacrificial material its surface is constantly shedding if that is a term and very little bonding products will adhere to it for long.
Salt and Emory cloth. Rinse and blow dry. Galvanised paint and or zinc phosphate primer. Then, apply epoxy.
They don’t run poorly because of that. They run poorly because they are outta round Chinese junk.
Yup most are. 1 in 4 might be useable. Pistons are a bit better in better brands. Cheap pistons are for testing, nothing more.

I have personal used most of the products in this thread. They all work well with proper prep and respect to shear loads and adhesion properties. That said, switch up to 3M auto panel bonds in the last two years but it is not for everything but very close to an all in one product line. I use two types on saws and other garden tools.

Last edited:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I grabbed up a 7900 Dolly from eBay last fall. It had a busted tank and the seller had slapped some epoxy on it so thick the saw was a weeble wobble.

I ground it down, plastic welded it with a soldering iron and some weed whacker string and then JB'ed over the top for insurance.

It's been holding gas for better than 6-months. It sits flat now too....:D

IMG_20190526_231748.jpg