The Official Farming Thread...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No clue. Picked it up & started to turn, loud bang & faster than I could look it all came to a halt. Didn't hit anything.
That’s a good sized pin she broke. You fixin it yourself? Weird stuff happens. I’m still runnin an old new holland haybine. I’m sure she will fly apart soon but I’ve had it apart seven billion times. She never missed a beat this year 100 ish round bales. First cutting is done. Likely only use it a little more this year.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a good sized pin she broke. You fixin it yourself? Weird stuff happens. I’m still runnin an old new holland haybine. I’m sure she will fly apart soon but I’ve had it apart seven billion times. She never missed a beat this year 100 ish round bales. First cutting is done. Likely only use it a little more this year.

Not sure. If I can find a salvage frame I'd swap it. I'll have someone weld a new pin in if I go that route. Right now I have to figure out how to load it & get it home. It's 10 miles away.

She's covered a lot of ground in 13 years.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't bale hay. I grew up tossing small squares for a couple of neighbors though, so I've been around it. We do cut our cover crop to use as mulch in our veggie operation. We also buy bales of straw to complete the mulching. I think I've posted this here before, but here's how we mulch with the bales.

We pick up the cover crop that we cut with a hay loader that would really work better as yard art. It's pretty ridiculous, but we're only filling one wagon and maybe covering half an acre. Then we run what we load through that bale chopper, but since it's on a wagon we can't pull it through the field. Instead we blow it into a pile and load wheelbarrows.

So anyway, my dad keeps saying we ought to buy a baler so we can bale up the mulch and blow it right out into the rows. I agree that it'd be nice to skip the hay loader and the wheelbarrows, but then you guys remind me that making good bales isn't a walk in the park. I'm the one on the farm who fixes all out old broken junk, and there's no way I'm gonna tangle with a sickle bar or a haybine and a baler for 50-75 bales a year. I told him we should just buy more bales.

I'll try to grab a picture of the hay loader in action this week. My wife took some pictures with her phone. We can all laugh at me together and it'll make your equipment look really nice by comparison. :)

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure. If I can find a salvage frame I'd swap it. I'll have someone weld a new pin in if I go that route. Right now I have to figure out how to load it & get it home. It's 10 miles away.

She's covered a lot of ground in 13 years.
It certainly is weird that it broke like it did. Only see so much in the picture but looks like a fresh break. You’ll know more when you get her home .. keep us posted on that one. You’ve got me curious

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

We are running a new Holland 472 haybine. Last year the nut cam off the wobble box shaft and tore some stuff up! Luckily I was able to rethread the wobble shaft to 18mm (was 3/4x16) and put new bearings and seals in it and it has cut a few hundred acres since. Grandpa ran it into a telephone pole is something Friday. Bashed up the whole left side pretty bad.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are running a new Holland 472 haybine. Last year the nut cam off the wobble box shaft and tore some stuff up! Luckily I was able to rethread the wobble shaft to 18mm (was 3/4x16) and put new bearings and seals in it and it has cut a few hundred acres since. Grandpa ran it into a telephone pole is something Friday. Bashed up the whole left side pretty bad.

That's unfortunate. Just be glad he's out there running it.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't bale hay. I grew up tossing small squares for a couple of neighbors though, so I've been around it. We do cut our cover crop to use as mulch in our veggie operation. We also buy bales of straw to complete the mulching. I think I've posted this here before, but here's how we mulch with the bales.

We pick up the cover crop that we cut with a hay loader that would really work better as yard art. It's pretty ridiculous, but we're only filling one wagon and maybe covering half an acre. Then we run what we load through that bale chopper, but since it's on a wagon we can't pull it through the field. Instead we blow it into a pile and load wheelbarrows.

So anyway, my dad keeps saying we ought to buy a baler so we can bale up the mulch and blow it right out into the rows. I agree that it'd be nice to skip the hay loader and the wheelbarrows, but then you guys remind me that making good bales isn't a walk in the park. I'm the one on the farm who fixes all out old broken junk, and there's no way I'm gonna tangle with a sickle bar or a haybine and a baler for 50-75 bales a year. I told him we should just buy more bales.

I'll try to grab a picture of the hay loader in action this week. My wife took some pictures with her phone. We can all laugh at me together and it'll make your equipment look really nice by comparison. :)

Yeah, it usually takes about 100 squares to get the innards polished up and ready for the summer of running, so you're probably better off just sticking to the way you're doing it.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, it usually takes about 100 squares to get the innards polished up and ready for the summer of running, so you're probably better off just sticking to the way you're doing it.

That's what I figured. We'd be done before we even got it running right.