Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spring has been slow coming in here. Grass is not taking off in the pastures. So, Jonathan and I built some fence to allow the momma cows to browse everything up to the hay fields. That gave them about 20 acres of grass and woods to pick thru.

Come on spring !!!

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Spring has been slow coming in here. Grass is not taking off in the pastures. So, Jonathan and I built some fence to allow the momma cows to browse everything up to the hay fields. That gave them about 20 acres of grass and woods to pick thru.

Come on spring !!!

I agree, don't usually feed hay much here this time of the year. ( weather not like it used to be anymore )

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since I am old, tired, and crippled, I decided to treat myself to a brand new Rhino batwing for Christmas this year. Sure beats the old 10' Sidewinder that parts are NLA.

I like the hitch on that one 4- way swivel nice topper good choice

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like the hitch on that one 4- way swivel nice topper good choice

I like it to. But I will find out this summer when I put about 160 hp on to it. then we will see how good shaft is.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm....breeding my cows to a Hereford bull is bringing some recessive genes to the surface. Looks like this "Angus" cow has some Hereford blood in her.

View attachment 122714 View attachment 122713

How old is the calf?

When we bred black & white Holsteins to a red & white bull, sometimes the calf would come out red but then turn black after a couple days. Breed that calf to a black angus bull, she will have black babies, but they will carry that red gene recessively.

We had to breed 4 generations deep with red bulls to get consistent red & white calves, but those calves won in the show ring. State champs almost every time.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How old is the calf?

When we bred black & white Holsteins to a red & white bull, sometimes the calf would come out red but then turn black after a couple days. Breed that calf to a black angus bull, she will have black babies, but they will carry that red gene recessively.

We had to breed 4 generations deep with red bulls to get consistent red & white calves, but those calves won in the show ring. State champs almost every time.

About four hours old there.

That one will stay red. I get them occasionally from a Hereford angus cross bull. Good lookin calf there mastermind

Yep......that one ain't ever gonna be black. LOL

I'm just glad it's healthy.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bull or heifer?

I didn't try to see. This one is a heifer.

20180423_142949-jpg.122050

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You sell feeder sized calves Or just the bulls. What’s the story boss man

I keep about 20 momma cows, sell the calves. My herd is a bit spread out on birthing dates. So, I try to sell in the spring. But, that means feeding them all winter.

So, everything depends on how much hay I can get in the barn.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep about 20 momma cows, sell the calves. My herd is a bit spread out on birthing dates. So, I try to sell in the spring. But, that means feeding them all winter.

So, everything depends on how much hay I can get in the barn.
Feel ya cuz. I keep bout 2o ish big mas. Sell the rest. Keep the very best of the rest of the heifers Trade and arrange. Be time to cut grass hay right here and now with 400 other things. Gonna seed in some corn tommarro. N stuff. Had some lucky calves this year born on the worst of the worst days. Everybody in the cattle lot Is doin well though