The Official Farming Thread...

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
10:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, but we dont want a chain baler. He likes belts.

I can’t blame you. These are dinosaurs almost as old as we are. But it’s what we’re used to.

We used a Vermeer for the first cutting when we were still waiting on the chains to come in. It was a 5x5 and made nice rolls. Just hard to haul them down some of these roads so we didn’t buy it.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 1st buggy I drug in the field broke in about 50 ft. :BangHead:
I had to fix a couple of things on this one just to get done. People don't really care to take care of something that they don't have to pay for. I told them at the CO-OP when I returned the buggy what I had fixed.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What has the maintenance consisted of over the years?
Bearings. Could use new belts now. Mine are shot. The area the net goes in is a piss poor design. I need to do some work in there. It’s like a big toilet paper holder the weight of a new roll is hard on it. New actuator Ughhh bout it. Could use new tines and time guards. I’d say she’s been tough. Has a lot of bales on it or through it

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need some opinions fellas...

Looking to buy a brand new round baler.

4x4 or 4x5

Twine tie. Not interested in net wrap.

Thanks in advance.

I have a case IH 8430 that’s a 4x4 twine and a New Holland BR7060 4x5 silage net wrap.

I haven’t even thought about going back to 4x4 and twine bales.

Average time to put Enough twine on that you can actually hual and move the bales around a few different times took about a 90 seconds.

With net you can be back baling in 30 seconds or less and they are way better to hual.

Let’s say you got a field that will make 60,000lbs of dry hay and the 4x4 bales are 600lbs.

100 bales x 90 = 9,000 seconds = 150 minutes or 2.5 hrs sitting running wide open spinning bales...

Now let’s just say the 4x5’s are 750lbs.

60,000 • 750 = 80 bales

80 bales x 30 seconds = 2,400 seconds = 40 minutes or .66 of a hour.

That’s 150 minutes vs 40 minutes of sitting not baling. So take 110 minutes away from continuing baling or hauling bales. I work a job off the farm and sometimes 110 minutes makes the difference if I get bales made before the weather changes.

Net wrap has been a very nice thing to have on farm.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a case IH 8430 that’s a 4x4 twine and a New Holland BR7060 4x5 silage net wrap.

I haven’t even thought about going back to 4x4 and twine bales.

Average time to put Enough twine on that you can actually hual and move the bales around a few different times took about a 90 seconds.

With net you can be back baling in 30 seconds or less and they are way better to hual.

Let’s say you got a field that will make 60,000lbs of dry hay and the 4x4 bales are 600lbs.

100 bales x 90 = 9,000 seconds = 150 minutes or 2.5 hrs sitting running wide open spinning bales...

Now let’s just say the 4x5’s are 750lbs.

60,000 • 750 = 80 bales

80 bales x 30 seconds = 2,400 seconds = 40 minutes or .66 of a hour.

That’s 150 minutes vs 40 minutes of sitting not baling. So take 110 minutes away from continuing baling or hauling bales. I work a job off the farm and sometimes 110 minutes makes the difference if I get bales made before the weather changes.

Net wrap has been a very nice thing to have on farm.

Trust me. Ive done the math with time spent tieing bales and know the benefit of it. We have been rained on durring hay production as much as anyone! FIL is dead set against net wrap. He has the money. I just research the equipment! :D

He doesnt want net wrap because our clients store the hay outside. Says if they get wet and freeze you cant get the net wrap off the bale.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trust me. Ive done the math with time spent tieing bales and know the benefit of it. We have been rained on durring hay production as much as anyone! FIL is dead set against net wrap. He has the money. I just research the equipment! :D

He doesnt want net wrap because our clients store the hay outside. Says if they get wet and freeze you cant get the net wrap off the bale.

I feel your pain on changing things on a family farm. Just remember most balers will do both so let him twine tie and you can net wrap when you bale. :D

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What came first, the cows being out or the messed up energizer? :BangHead:

How is it that they know exactly when the fence stops working so they can tear it up. I have watched them walk up to a working fence and shy away from 5 foot out, yet when it goes down they will walk through it in a heartbeat.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How is it that they know exactly when the fence stops working so they can tear it up. I have watched them walk up to a working fence and shy away from 5 foot out, yet when it goes down they will walk through it in a heartbeat.

They can hear it I believe.