Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big late cut grass bales up this way sold for $128 2 weeks ago. Brother in law buys a lot of hay and said that stuff was some of the worst stuff he had ever seen!

I couldn't make a penny on cattle if I was feeding hay that cost that much. This year I'll be rolling 4 x 6 bales, and have about 40 acres of wheat and 35 acres of grass to do. I thought about selling some if it does well, but since I have the space, I'll probably just stockpile it.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking at the 504n online. Looks like its what we want. Deere is out of the question. Green paint is expensive. What do you guys think of new holland or Massey balers?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My father in law asked me today what i would buy if i had to by a new round baler today. I told him vermeer. Never touched one but i hear good things and they just look well built. We have a hesston 540 now that will make 1 good bale about every 5. Wont feed the chamber consistent. We but all new belts in it and a bunch of other work on the pickup and what not. Just not doing what it should do and he is done with it.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My father in law asked me today what i would buy if i had to by a new round baler today. I told him vermeer. Never touched one but i hear good things and they just look well built. We have a hesston 540 now that will make 1 good bale about every 5. Wont feed the chamber consistent. We but all new belts in it and a bunch of other work on the pickup and what not. Just not doing what it should do and he is done with it.

I hate to hear that. I just bought a old Hesston. LOL

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
5:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to beat a NH 847/848. That’s what my grandpa and we’re running now. On one we put new chains, 35 bars, and a lot of new parts in last year. I don’t care for electric tie but it does work pretty good. I liked the hydraulic tie on the other one before we got this newer one with air bags.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to beat a NH 847/848. That’s what my grandpa and we’re running now. On one we put new chains, 35 bars, and a lot of new parts in last year. I don’t care for electric tie but it does work pretty good. I liked the hydraulic tie on the other one before we got this newer one with air bags.

Thanks, but we dont want a chain baler. He likes belts.