Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm working on more places to run the different groups. I need a separate paddock for my bulls.....another for the heifers that are too young to breed, and two more to separate young and older cows. For now I'm getting by with just running the Angus bull with the young cows, and the Hereford bull with the older cows, and a place for the heifers.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those black baldies still bring a premium around here!

The baldies are a bigger calf than a pure Angus though.....that's why I just run the Hereford bull over the older cows.

I've got one big Angus cow that throws twins....I keep her with the black bull too.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fall calving works good here. Easier to get them bred back in the late fall as well. Have a friend that calves in August. Has to move the newborns to the shade every morning. Says it's worth the hassle to hit the normally high market price at weaning.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fall calving works good here. Easier to get them bred back in the late fall as well. Have a friend that calves in August. Has to move the newborns to the shade every morning. Says it's worth the hassle to hit the normally high market price at weaning.

Right now I keep all my nice heifers. The steers I won't sell till they are 900lb or better.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read a book by Julius Ruechel called "Grass Fed Cattle", and he sang the praises of breeding your mothers to calve in fall. No calving in the snow, and the mothers are calving when they are at their healthiest and strongest. The babies get a couple months to get some size on them, but are still getting milk when winter hits them, so they are strong and ready for the winter. It made a lot of sense to me, but I haven't been able to expand my operation to cow/calf yet to really try it out.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
autumn calving has been popular for dairy farmers good milk price during winter

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s a few farms short of grub over here one or two who got some dry pasture laid out too Italian ryegrass have been cutting
Grass each day with a double chop harvester for mixing in the feeder wagon

deedskelly

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never fails, They have the calf on the coldest, snowiest, wettest, ( night ) Never during the day time.

Fished one out of the creek yesterday,had to take it up a steep bank ,got it to the top,then I slid down and went for a swim. Boy do I love ranching! I’m getting a little old for this!!