The Official Farming Thread...

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have pulled silage wagons with a 730 diesel before. We have 3 714 John silage wagons and an older open top John Chuck wagon. We used bunkers for years. I have packed silage with everything imaginable. Back before there was 4 wheel drive tractors it was an art lol. We built 2 80 feet uprights and stopped using the bunkers. Miss the good old days.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have pulled silage wagons with a 730 diesel before. We have 3 714 John silage wagons and an older open top John Chuck wagon. We used bunkers for years. I have packed silage with everything imaginable. Back before there was 4 wheel drive tractors it was an art lol. We built 2 80 feet uprights and stopped using the bunkers. Miss the good old days.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Much better than the big blue ones, Good old days are gone!!

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was a kid I pulled old international 51 silage wagons with a farmall M. It was nice to get the wagon opened up with the clutch. You had to really think about what you were doing to get things moving and stopped..

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had 2 calves last night,one on the hay made it. Other one had hers in a snow drift found it dead.Lambing to,if anything comes tonight it’s gone ,30-40 below wind chills!

I moved the hay ring and left about half a roll for her to bed down in. Looking like 5° or so for a low overnight.

deedskelly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I moved the hay ring and left about half a roll for her to bed down in. Looking like 5° or so for a low overnight.

Just saw the weather tonight 17 below actual 30 to 40 below wind chill,wish you were here to enjoy it![emoji6] 4 below high tomorrow with a high wind,you could help me calve,it would be a good night to pull a calf out on some windy ridge!

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad & brother started Jan. 1 & last time I asked they had 46 on the ground, my neighbor said he has 63 on the ground he started Jan. 1 also. They try to keep them sorted up & run the closest ones in at night but I know Dad & my brother are going to have a few bobbed ears. Some of the ladies do a better job cleaning them off than others. Dad said they had all the rings full & unrolled several bales so they won’t have to take the tractor out tomorrow.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BEEN A while since I thought about those critters! This time of year is Cold...but less "bugs & Bacteria!", And having a "jump start" being this time of year means more weigh come fall..:) We had to bring a couple in the house over the years to warm them up...then try to get them back to moo ma ...fortunately the cow that had them also had a good temperament. Also had a few of them in the barn as well...usually if we could find them fast enough those tough little buggers (burgers?) would do fine. Ours were a Angus Hereford mix. Then one year we stuck a Murray Grey in....had a bunch of color and that was supposed to hurt the feeder calf prices. didn't. Not from what I could tell. That group from the Murray Grey got the most per lbs we ever had. Sold all 30 of the cows I think two years back now. But we are going to sell the one side of the road and build on the other. Still will have a couple hundred acres and might bring some beefers on when we have a better facility. Right now just selling round bales.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BEEN A while since I thought about those critters! This time of year is Cold...but less "bugs & Bacteria!", And having a "jump start" being this time of year means more weigh come fall..:) We had to bring a couple in the house over the years to warm them up...then try to get them back to moo ma ...fortunately the cow that had them also had a good temperament. Also had a few of them in the barn as well...usually if we could find them fast enough those tough little buggers (burgers?) would do fine. Ours were a Angus Hereford mix. Then one year we stuck a Murray Grey in....had a bunch of color and that was supposed to hurt the feeder calf prices. didn't. Not from what I could tell. That group from the Murray Grey got the most per lbs we ever had. Sold all 30 of the cows I think two years back now. But we are going to sell the one side of the road and build on the other. Still will have a couple hundred acres and might bring some beefers on when we have a better facility. Right now just selling round bales.

I read a book by Julius Ruechel called "Grass Fed Cattle", and he sang the praises of breeding your mothers to calve in fall. No calving in the snow, and the mothers are calving when they are at their healthiest and strongest. The babies get a couple months to get some size on them, but are still getting milk when winter hits them, so they are strong and ready for the winter. It made a lot of sense to me, but I haven't been able to expand my operation to cow/calf yet to really try it out.