Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone else getting ready for harvest?

I’ve got to figure out why my corn header quite driving 3 rows in the last 1/2 acre last year.

I’m hoping that the chain just fell off if not it’s in the gearbox’s because I’ve already done some late night... weld it solid repairing.....

I always enjoyed filling silos and miss chopping & hauling wagons.

If any of you fellas are filling silos bags or bunkers post up some pictures.

The green beans here rotted. Too much rain. They just turned them into the ground a few days ago. They're planting those fields with pasture grass as soon as it's dry enough.....and I've taken over the lease on the place. That adds 70 more acres of pasture and hay ground to my little operation.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The green beans here rotted. Too much rain. They just turned them into the ground a few days ago. They're planting those fields with pasture grass as soon as it's dry enough.....and I've taken over the lease on the place. That adds 70 more acres of pasture and hay ground to my little operation.

That sucks about the green beans.

Do I see more cows in your future?

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm young enough to do cow/calf for at least 15 years. After that, I'll start raising feeders

We used to fatten cattle and it was pretty stressful for us. We bought a few groups that just wouldn’t finish fast enough. We were keeping a 100-125 head at the time and we bought a load of 86 feeders that stalled out. The feed was all good, but the cattle just didn’t have the genetics. That Group really hurt!
Even though we grew our own feed everyday they just kept eating away profit.

If a guy got enough grass you could take lightweight feeders and just walk the grass off Your farm. Let someone else worry about taking them to fats.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to fatten cattle and it was pretty stressful for us. We bought a few groups that just wouldn’t finish fast enough. We were keeping a 100-125 head at the time and we bought a load of 86 feeders that stalled out. The feed was all good, but the cattle just didn’t have the genetics. That Group really hurt!
Even though we grew our own feed everyday they just kept eating away profit.

If a guy got enough grass you could take lightweight feeders and just walk the grass off Your farm. Let someone else worry about taking them to fats.

My brother in law is 74. He just did feeders for the first time this year. He bought about 60 heifers.....some he got up to 800 - 850lb before calling a guy to come look at them. He found out then that he would have been better off to sell the heifers at 600lb or so.

This coming year, he's gonna just do steers. Seems they can go to a higher weight and still have a good per lb price.

Me......I'll be raising calves like you said, and selling them while they're still pretty light. At least while I'm young enough.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What breed of bull are you using?

Red Angus bulls, A couple pics.They belong to the neighbor, as he is renting the farm now, with his cows and bulls, I am looking after them for a certain percent of the calves. As I am not able to do it anymore. One playing king of the mountain on the manure pile.

Attachments

• 100_0617.JPG
    100_0617.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0615.JPG
    100_0615.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0614.JPG
    100_0614.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 21

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red Angus bulls, A couple pics.They belong to the neighbor, as he is renting the farm now, with his cows and bulls, I am looking after them for a certain percent of the calves. As I am not able to do it anymore. One playing king of the mountain on the manure pile.

Nice. Straight back, thick haunches. I like em.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree! I sold my feed feed grinder over 15 years ago. Only corn I pant now is sweet corn and sunflowers for the doves. We started selling the calves straight off the cows, less weight loss and a lot less feed.

AND......no listening to em scream for a week while you're weening them.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree, mama not like the noise for the last 36 years. Had as many as 46 calves right beside the house many times. ( our 36 year anniversary Tuesday )

Happy anniversary Charlie. Glenda and I passed year 32 in June.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone else getting ready for harvest?

I’ve got to figure out why my corn header quite driving 3 rows in the last 1/2 acre last year.

I’m hoping that the chain just fell off if not it’s in the gearbox’s because I’ve already done some late night... weld it solid repairing.....

I always enjoyed filling silos and miss chopping & hauling wagons.

If any of you fellas are filling silos bags or bunkers post up some pictures.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Decided to go look at a corn head tomorrow. Spent some time this evening going over and working on the one we got and decided it might just be a parts head.

That was after I fixed and made a few things.. last fall that shaft broke... it got welded one of those last night fill the truck/finish the field nights.

7B23CB5E-6ADA-448E-8C6E-BBDF29C44572.jpeg

B4AC34F6-398B-4CD5-BD77-C71E3BA36F67.jpeg