The new 70cc ECHO saw

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never got to run my MS660 stock as I bought a low hr saw off a member & sent it straight to Cottle lane banana farm. But many aren't impressed with either the 660 or 390 'off the shelf' where 661 is a different story. But after some tuning a 660 can be a responsive strong felling/bucking saw. Old design but by 2013 (year of my saw) they were pretty well refined after many upgrades over the 1/4-century of production. If Echo could make a 70cc saw that was weight & size competitive with their good build quality and a little modern tech they will sell alright.

660s and 390s are slugs stock, we have a stock 661 that runs a 36" full comp chain and an 8 pin rim with no trouble at all..all i did was enlarge the exhaust opening.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some markets such as down your way that could well be the case. Husky just isn't as strong or established in some areas. The effect is similar to what I was predicting for this new Echo. Limited market presence equals limited sales.

Up here in the Northeast the 572 launch is going to be like the next i-phone. Everybody that comes in is asking when, when , when, call me when they're in. Driving us nuts really.
Your right about location. I believe it has a lot to do with dealers and sales reps. Echos have really taken off in my area because the husky dealers had a falling out with the local rep they deal with. Even a lot of the pros around here(except @hsell ) don’t analyze saws like we do. The loggers and and tree guys are using more echos because nobody sells husky or dolmar and stihls at the local dealer are ridiculously priced. I think if they had a good 80-90cc saw they would be in business here.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Might add most loggers here are old school and are not very accepting of technology. One guy who bought a new husky told me he didn’t realize they sold him a computer saw till he could find the screws.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some markets such as down your way that could well be the case. Husky just isn't as strong or established in some areas. The effect is similar to what I was predicting for this new Echo. Limited market presence equals limited sales.

Right on as usual my friend.

Up here in the Northeast the 572 launch is going to be like the next i-phone. Everybody that comes in is asking when, when , when, call me when they're in. Driving us nuts really.

I had the same thing happen with the new Echo PB-8010 blower. As soon as it was announced people were either blowing up the phone or standing in line to get one. I got six on my first order, came in at 10:00 A.M. on a Friday. By closing time (6PM) four were already sold.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right on as usual my friend.

I had the same thing happen with the new Echo PB-8010 blower. As soon as it was announced people were either blowing up the phone or standing in line to get one. I got six on my first order, came in at 10:00 A.M. on a Friday. By closing time (6PM) four were already sold.

We might just make a party out of it. Have a pot of chili or something on that Friday, sell saws and mostly goof off. Tell the guys it's woodchuck chili for groundhog day! (sounds pretty gross, huh?) Only thing we don't need is some big Noreaster running up the coast.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We might just make a party out of it. Have a pot of chili or something on that Friday, sell saws and mostly goof off. Tell the guys it's woodchuck chili for groundhog day! (sounds pretty gross, huh?) Only thing we don't need is some big Noreaster running up the coast.

I like it, kind of like when car dealers used to have unveiling parties for new models!

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your right about location. I believe it has a lot to do with dealers and sales reps. Echos have really taken off in my area because the husky dealers had a falling out with the local rep they deal with. Even a lot of the pros around here(except @hsell ) don’t analyze saws like we do. The loggers and and tree guys are using more echos because nobody sells husky or dolmar and stihls at the local dealer are ridiculously priced. I think if they had a good 80-90cc saw they would be in business here.
I agree. I am a forester. My primary job is timber sales and oversight. I sell somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.5 million of timber each year in Georgia and SC. I deal with loggers all over SC and about 1/4 of GA. Very VERY few run Stihl. Why, not cause they don't think there good or have dealers (the latter is kind of true but it's for the reason I'll metion), but because they cost so much more!! They won't run a 460 when Hwy could run a 372 for hundreds less per saw!! Counted up the loggers running out of Lincolnton GA one time. Just major outfits that I know about,not the shoddy guys who get 5 loads a week or fly by night guys. There was something like 14 crews working out of the area. This is a town in the 3 to 4 thousand range!! So I have plenty of loggers, many of them have worked for me. I can think of one logger out of Lincolnton running stihls. Hats also the reason there is no Stihl dealer, cause there too expensive to buy there is not a reason for one to be there. They have them in the city though, where he weekend warriors and lawn obsessed guys have to have the "best". There is 2 husky dealers in this small town though!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree. I am a forester. My primary job is timber sales and oversight. I sell somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.5 million of timber each year in Georgia and SC. I deal with loggers all over SC and about 1/4 of GA. Very VERY few run Stihl. Why, not cause they don't think there good or have dealers (the latter is kind of true but it's for the reason I'll metion), but because they cost so much more!! They won't run a 460 when Hwy could run a 372 for hundreds less per saw!! Counted up the loggers running out of Lincolnton GA one time. Just major outfits that I know about,not the shoddy guys who get 5 loads a week or fly by night guys. There was something like 14 crews working out of the area. This is a town in the 3 to 4 thousand range!! So I have plenty of loggers, many of them have worked for me. I can think of one logger out of Lincolnton running stihls. Hats also the reason there is no Stihl dealer, cause there too expensive to buy there is not a reason for one to be there. They have them in the city though, where he weekend warriors and lawn obsessed guys have to have the "best". There is 2 husky dealers in this small town though!

At the sun belt expo there is a Husqvarna dealer there that sells hundreds of saws at that event. He has nearly unbeatable prices due to the volume he sells there. Because of the hurricane the crowd was small compared to usual. The first morning of the show I asked him why he didn’t bring any 372s(a loggers favorite around here). He said already sold out they are hoarding them while the 372s are still around.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At the sun belt expo there is a Husqvarna dealer there that sells hundreds of saws at that event. He has nearly unbeatable prices due to the volume he sells there. Because of the hurricane the crowd was small compared to usual. The first morning of the show I asked him why he didn’t bring any 372s(a loggers favorite around here). He said already sold out they are hoarding them while the 372s are still around.

No need to do that yet, but I also have some guys doing the same thing.

372 is supposed to hang around for a year or so after the 572 is released. There's 200 of them just up here in the Northeast warehouse alone.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No need to do that yet, but I also have some guys doing the same thing.

372 is supposed to hang around for a year or so after the 572 is released. There's 200 of them just up here in the Northeast warehouse alone.
I know this is a derail, but were all good about this. Whats the difference going to be between the 372 and 572?

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Evergreen went to the ECHO CS-680 after burning up a few MS-362CMs. Supposedly they weren’t running them Wide Open enough & caused carbon issues.

I noticed a bunch of McIntyre trucks started hailing EHCO when ASC opened the OPE side.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

Mutley

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Better get that 395 to a Dr’s office if a stock 660 is keeping up with it

We don't do brand loyalty. We use whatever does the job. The 395 runs like a champ, but it's too clumsy in the tree. In fact, it can even be too clumsy on the ground, when on steep, or awkward ground.

Brand new, it never out cut the 660!

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't do brand loyalty. We use whatever does the job. The 395 runs like a champ, but it's too clumsy in the tree. In fact, it can even be too clumsy on the ground, when on steep, or awkward ground.

Brand new, it never out cut the 660!

Thank You for that witty response.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro