The new 70cc ECHO saw

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably a decent saw, but you guys are dreaming as far as anybody actually buying these things. Be about like the chart above where 1 guy out of 61 runs an Echo.

Not exactly great timing for them either. With the 565/572 and MS462 and MS500i just around the corner, (with more models to come not long after), the Echo is going to have a hard time getting noticed.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably a decent saw, but you guys are dreaming as far as anybody actually buying these things. Be about like the chart above where 1 guy out of 61 runs an Echo.

Not exactly great timing for them either. With the 565/572 and MS462 and MS500i just around the corner, (with more models to come not long after), the Echo is going to have a hard time getting noticed.
Price maybe?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Price maybe?

No not really.

Kind of a history lesson I've seen before...………….

Sachs-Dolmar 120si

Olympyk 970

Solo 667

Dolmar 9000

Solo 681

Olympyk 980

Olympyk 962

Dolmar 7900

Shindaiwa 757

All saws that were good enough to play in the big leagues, but being from second tier brands never made an impact in the marketplace. (Echo is a first tier brand with landscapers, but not pro saws.) I get it that if your relatively new to this, the excitement of the "new saw that's gonna get noticed" seems reasonable. We've all been drawn in by that over the years. But after 30 years of seeing this scenario play out...………...history will be repeating itself here.

Not a spoiler for Echo fans, cause you guys can still enjoy it, and you should. Just saying it will not be a factor in the market.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No not really.

Sachs-Dolmar 120si

Olympyk 970

Solo 667

Dolmar 9000

Solo 681

Olympyk 980

Olympyk 962

Dolmar 7900

Shindaiwa 757

All saws that were good enough to play in the big leagues, but being from second tier brands never made an impact in the marketplace. (Echo is a first tier brand with landscapers, but not pro saws.) I get it that if your relatively new to this, the excitement of the "new saw that's gonna get noticed" seems reasonable. We've all been drawn in by that over the years. But after 30 years of seeing this scenario play out...………...history will be repeating itself here.

Not a spoiler for Echo fans, cause you guys can still enjoy it, and you should. Just saying it will not be a factor in the market.
Your right as consumers like us saving $300 or 400 on a saw is a huge savings. But to a pro who makes literally 10s of thousands of dollars with a $1000 saw that difference in initial purchase price over the life of that saw means nothing. Especially on an unproven saw and brand (maybe) for that business. They can't be screwing around with testing longevity of new saws out when there trying to get a job done.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here it is! Some of the first pics of the new 70cc Echo pro saw at the world logging championchips, it follows the new color sheme. I have no precise informations or numbers about it, but it is possible that its also feature the new echo EMS system (its like autotune or m-tronic) http://www.echotools.com/news/detail/id=9254?category=1164

View attachment 157669

View attachment 157670

hopefully i can get more info's shortly

Hopefully more Mtronic & less Autotune.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No not really.

Sachs-Dolmar 120si

Olympyk 970

Solo 667

Dolmar 9000

Solo 681

Olympyk 980

Olympyk 962

Dolmar 7900

Shindaiwa 757

While I agree with your examples to an extent, the CS355-T & the CS2511-T are cutting into the big 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It'd be interesting if they updated the engine with quad transfer ports, a single-ring flat-top piston, and matching combustion chamber.

No not really.

Yep - it's all about brand recognition, which is how John Harvey Kellogg and our current president were/are both very famous/infamous in their times.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I doubt the 572 will get much attention either with the 462/500 combo. Echo might need to stick with the adjustable carb. Can’t tell you how many people I know that fear electronics.

I’d say the 572 will sell to a lot of people who shop price and not brand. Be coming in at $200 less than a 462 more than likely. Even if I was a die hard Stihl guy 20% is a lot of mark up for one brand over the other. Plus I think Stihl did a bad job with spring AV compared to the other brands.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It will be noticed by guys like me, who appreciate real quality at an excellent price. Looked at the Stihl section at Rural King today, they have the MS-461 for north of a grand. I'm sure Echo will price their new saw for several hundred less.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No not really.

Sachs-Dolmar 120si

Olympyk 970

Solo 667

Dolmar 9000

Solo 681

Olympyk 980

Olympyk 962

Dolmar 7900

Shindaiwa 757

Without contradicting myself, I agree with you that is the most likely outcome. Stihl and Husky have a chokehold on the serious saw buyer's market and they would have to really screw up to let somebody else muscle in on it. Or, another marque would have to come up with a true once in a lifetime game changer that no one could ignore. The only saw maker that I think has even a ghost of a chance of taking some of their territory is Echo. I love Dolmar saws too, but under Makita they are riding the slow train to utter irrelevance. If Echo is smart, they ought to start courting former Dolmar dealers. Many of them carried Dolmar because they were quality products not named Stihl or Husky.

Last edited: