The making of an axe

Bob95065

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
  1. This video was posted on a tool collector forum I belong to. It is from 1965 and shows axes being made by hand by craftsmen in Maine

That video was outstanding. I intend to share it by email too.

Craftsmanship like that is all but completely lost in this country. You can still find it but it is rare. Our culture has become so throw-away it is terrible. Most lack the skill to fix things themselves and now machinery is designed to not be repaired. It is sad.

johnathan88

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes very cool thanks for sharing ... I'd sure like to have one of those good axes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me, I hang, profile, and sharpen my own axes. Sometimes big fir are faster to limb all the bottom branches with an axe than a large gas axe. Especially if I have my son bump the knots. Fuel efficient too, ha ha ha. I carry an axe when I hike to clean the trail, but not a chainsaw. Half the year its faster to dig here with an axe than with a shovel. :( . My falling axe and my sons, and several other, I made handles for out of black locust. I have as many axes as chainsaws in my collection.

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me, I hang, profile, and sharpen my own axes. Sometimes big fir are faster to limb all the bottom branches with an axe than a large gas axe. Especially if I have my son bump the knots. Fuel efficient too, ha ha ha. I carry an axe when I hike to clean the trail, but not a chainsaw. Half the year its faster to dig here with an axe than with a shovel. :( . My falling axe and my sons, and several other, I made handles for out of black locust. I have as many axes as chainsaws in my collection.
Pictures of some?

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Each one is custom made. Imagine how much it would cost to produce them this way now.

Great share!
Really sounds like Rodney narrated!

Last edited: