The Freedom Saw

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you are close, with a scope, you need to aim high, there is not enough distance for the bullet to rise up to the line of sight.

I agree with the above comment, this is the time to fix the scope problem, and thankfully you discovered the problem when it didn't really count.

Start by putting a big piece of paper or board out at 25 yds. Usually, if you are on at 25 yds you will be close at 100 yds.

The bore is usually approx 1.5" below the line of sight, it crosses going up at about 25 yds, and crosses coming down at about 100 yds.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When you are close, with a scope, you need to aim high, there is not enough distance for the bullet to rise up to the line of sight.

I agree with the above comment, this is the time to fix the scope problem, and thankfully you discovered the problem when it didn't really count.

Start by putting a big piece of paper or board out at 25 yds. Usually, if you are on at 25 yds you will be close at 100 yds.

The bore is usually approx 1.5" below the line of sight, it crosses going up at about 25 yds, and crosses coming down at about 100 yds.
I thank you Mike I am aware of how to sign in my rifle. I have neglected to take it out this year and it's been moved around alot. Next time I go to my aunts I'll get it back where it needs to be. Thank you for your help

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, check your scope mounts to ensure nothing is loose, and the scope to make sure there is no internal damage.

I always put locktite on my screws.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Also, check your scope mounts to ensure nothing is loose, and the scope to make sure there is no internal damage.

I always put locktite on my screws.
That's a good idea. It was a cheap scope I picked up a couple years ago and deer hunted with. I really need to take the dang thing off haha

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went crazy trying to sight in a 270 WSM once, with my hand loads. It grouped real well, but every time I went back to the range, the group was just drifted a little bit more. Finally realized the scope itself was sliding a bit with the recoil, not much, just enough to change the point of impact.

I ended up sanding both the inside of the mounts, and the scope tube where it mounted, to get it to stop.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went crazy trying to sight in a 270 WSM once, with my hand loads. It grouped real well, but every time I went back to the range, the group was just drifted a little bit more. Finally realized the scope itself was sliding a bit with the recoil, not much, just enough to change the point of impact.

I ended up sanding both the inside of the mounts, and the scope tube where it mounted, to get it to stop.
Good damn info on the last several posts. Lotta folk seriously don't know that sorta *s-word. Me an ol man be sighting in everyone's *s-word round here

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

That is a very simple yet effective trick I have never thought about. Thank you Mike

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have laped the rings Mike.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk