High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The forestry and logging pictures thread

bitzer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It would be a damn shame to pull guys off the hill in the name of progress, but if it's anything like here there's no one to fill em anyway.

I handcut and don't plan to buy a harvester any time soon. I've worked hills that I could only drive the skidder down but would look like bunny slopes to some of you guys. There's plenty that want to try when I've put an add out for handcutter. They find they like the idea more then the work. I find I loose a lot of production in training. Even when you tell em this way they do it that way. Gets old. I recently may have picked up Lyme's. Will find out for sure tomorrow. It's been a *b-word packing up the hill in the morning. Almost seems worse on the knees coming out. I've taken off 4 days now and my body wants to rest, but I want to go. I'm heading out to paint the neighbors property today with my oldest son. We'll see how I do and if I think I can handle a saw tomorrow. Too much more of this and the bank account won't be real happy. No equipment payments for me tho so that helps. Been at it 8 years full time now. Alone 99% of the time. Dumb or not I resist progress. I taught myself how to cut by trial and error and lots of reading. I feel like there's guys out there that just cut the trees. Then there's guys out there that belong with the trees.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It would be a damn shame to pull guys off the hill in the name of progress, but if it's anything like here there's no one to fill em anyway.

I handcut and don't plan to buy a harvester any time soon. I've worked hills that I could only drive the skidder down but would look like bunny slopes to some of you guys. There's plenty that want to try when I've put an add out for handcutter. They find they like the idea more then the work. I find I loose a lot of production in training. Even when you tell em this way they do it that way. Gets old. I recently may have picked up Lyme's. Will find out for sure tomorrow. It's been a *b-word packing up the hill in the morning. Almost seems worse on the knees coming out. I've taken off 4 days now and my body wants to rest, but I want to go. I'm heading out to paint the neighbors property today with my oldest son. We'll see how I do and if I think I can handle a saw tomorrow. Too much more of this and the bank account won't be real happy. No equipment payments for me tho so that helps. Been at it 8 years full time now. Alone 99% of the time. Dumb or not I resist progress. I taught myself how to cut by trial and error and lots of reading. I feel like there's guys out there that just cut the trees. Then there's guys out there that belong with the trees.
Hopefully things get figured out and you get feeling better. The tethered bunchers definitely can make logging more productive, and that is a good thing. Not many people want to do what we are doing, and a lot of older guys will retire before too long. It will all balance out. Lots of tower jobs and what not that a machine won’t be going on. And a lot of places they will go on as well.
Lyme’s sucks from what I know. Hopefully you’re clear of that.

bitzer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That a big fir? Do you have to replant for Regen or will it happen on its own? Here you can't get trees to stop growing if you slick it off or just thin. Doesn't matter much either way.

Well all the blood work came back clear but they are keeping me on antibiotics for two weeks. Apparently the test doesn't always work if caught early. I cut/skid half a truck load today. Pretty piss poor for me, but I'm taking it easy and was happy to have the wind blowing across the hill today making chips.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That a big fir? Do you have to replant for Regen or will it happen on its own? Here you can't get trees to stop growing if you slick it off or just thin. Doesn't matter much either way.

Well all the blood work came back clear but they are keeping me on antibiotics for two weeks. Apparently the test doesn't always work if caught early. I cut/skid half a truck load today. Pretty piss poor for me, but I'm taking it easy and was happy to have the wind blowing across the hill today making chips.
Yes, it is a Douglas fir. Everything still has to be replanted here. This was a wildlife tree, as you are required to leave so many standing trees in a unit.
Hopefully it gets nipped in the bud, and you’ll be back at it again with full energy!

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1de01660abeaafb20cdf542844c4c8c1.jpg
e57d48bfa3613a1858a91f99de246be4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
1:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Perhaps a one man tent.
It reminds me of watching Bear Grylls...lol. He's X British Army. I can only watch untill he starts eating bugs, rodent's or drinking piss.

I have seen this episode.

"The clouds are coming over and we don't have much time before a flash flood will come through...we have got to make a bed off the ground now or it will be disastrous very soon.
Then when we have got our deck made...we will take all these fir bows and make a nice comfy bed up above the water level.

Then we will make a lean-to and droop our parachute and block the sideways rain and wind..but we have to hurry up and get going now...or it will be to late".

A chainsaw is definitely not Bear's sig.

Hunters camping or mushroom pickers.
You get Pine mushrooms in the 2nd growth fir down there?

Last edited:

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It reminds me of watching Bear Grylls...lol. He's X British Army. I can only watch untill he starts eating bugs, rodent's or drinking piss.

I has seen this episode.

"The clouds are coming over and we down have much time before a flash flood will come through...we have got to make a bed off the ground now or it will be disastrous very soon.
Then when we have got our deck make...we will take all these fir bows and make a nice comfy bed up above the water level.

Then we will make a lean-to and droop our parachute and block the sideways rain and wind..but we have to hurry up and get going now...or it will be to late".

A chainsaw is definitely not Bear's sig.

Hunters camping or mushroom pickers.
You get Pine mushrooms in the 2nd growth fir down there?
Lots of chanterelle mushrooms here. Somebody definitely took some time to make it.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 196020 View attachment 196021 View attachment 196022 View attachment 196023 View attachment 196024 New job today. Big trees and steep ground, lol! Too flat for the buncher!
Found this interesting fort thing in the bottom of the unit. A little weird.
You guys always lay your wood out really nice with nice cuts. I find when I did smaller stuff in nice flat ground then I didn't need sight lines.
It's a relationship that starts from the last tree correctly felled, and your bar, handle bar, shoulder and head. Memory positions. Always a little different from each side from left to right of right to left when working your f-face but your dial it in.
I loved the days when everything you touch turns to gold. I have even droped my saw and walked down and grabbed the top and flipped a little one back into lay because I had everything right.

I see you're pushing trees. I see the little drop snap. You have to have everything dialled in right to push trees in that spindily fir. I remember filming me doing a 6 tree push and I went a little low on the drop snaps and they rolled off. Hey at least I hit them. I think 2 out of 6 fell.. that's counting the bullet tree.
Yeah that film disappeared.

Did you leave the tab on the butt for the picture?

Last edited:

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You guys always lay your wood out really nice with nice cuts. I find when I did smaller stuff in nice flat ground then I didn't need sight lines.
It's a relationship that starts from the last tree correctly felled, and your bar, handle bar, shoulder and head. Memory positions. Always a little different from each side from left to right of right to left when working your f-face but your dial it in.
I loved the days when everything you touch turns to gold. I have even droped my saw and walked down and grabbed the top and flipped a little one back into lay because I had everything right.

I see you're pushing trees. I see the little drop snap. You have to have everything dialled in right to push trees in that spindily fir. I remember filming me doing a 6 tree push and I went a little low on the drop snaps and they rolled off. Hey at least I hit them. I think 2 out of 6 fell.. that's counting the bullet tree.

Thank you.
Everything on this flat ground was leaning back. We use wedges to set them up, but there are only so many of those. Pretty slow if you wedge every tree over as you know. I usually just leave the step there, and it just gets flush-butted out at the landing. If I see some bad stump slivers, I try to get those. I try to be as wise as I can with this, so sometimes I just won’t set them up in certain situations.
It is definitely a gut feeling/muscle memory thing with these trees, as I am generally not gunsighting these. It’s amazing how accurate that can be sometimes.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

We take pride in our work and do the best job we can. No reason not to. Try to help the loggers as best we can with our lead and not leaving them a big mess. Be honest with our time and do a good job was what I was always taught, and I’m glad I was taught that way. We’d rather have a good name than a bad one.

Last edited:

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe that’s Mick Dodges shelter
emoji2957.png

Sent from Hoskey Hills
could be Mick on a stroll and missing his bed. Although from Washington state he once raced from Washington to California and back; pulling a cart.

I was thinking DB Cooper?

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you.
I have been over the top overreacted and been an idiot and a hundred other bad things on saw sites...and that was just last night.
Seriously though, I have overreacted to people's work that they have shared in a pretty non tactful ways that I do regret. My heart was in the right place. I just didn't want to see them get hurt. Nobody should be dressed down that's for sure.

There is intellectual levels to life, there is levels to Pro fighting and there is levels to Timber Falling. It's a treat to see you guys'es results. Not only do you show a variety, you REALLY show your skills. Not many BC Cedar country Coast Fallers can be that accurate. You don't have to be that accurate but merry up their cuts. Some guys do first growth selective, but 85% would fail. They would fail in that small stuff also. Slanted cuts, *s-word work. I have seen it. No matter what your belief in about one's own skills about threading the needle between trees...you can have 60 ft between trees with 160ft hemlock snag in a bad spot and your knees are numb after 5 hours into a wet day. It's amazing how your how fast your won't pull the trigger when you are going 'all in' on the ultimate gamble. I have quit a few times before the day was through and everyone quit with me. As they say in the boxing world:
Quit to fight another day.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
could be Mick on a stroll and missing his bed. Although from Washington state he once raced from Washington to California and back; pulling a cart.

I was thinking DB Cooper?

Didn’t Cooper supposedly jump quite a bit north?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You mean north Oregon? IDK...
But DB Cooper parachuted down in Oregon for sure. There was a military guy that did the same... probably in the '90s and got sold out by his cop golf friend.
He demanded five parachutes knowing the cops would put tracers in them. I believe he had his own? That chits a rush.
They retrieved the money with only $5.00 out of half a million. They think he may have been DB Cooper?