Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Il have a compare with the pop off pressure on a OEM carb and a Non OEM carb and see if there is a big difference indicating what the spring pressure is like.

Curious to see how this pans out. Pop off pressure if too high can do bad things. Leeeeeaaaaaaan.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got an interesting 288 in i will try to get good pics tomorrow.
Guy brought in in saying it wouldn't hold a carb tune.1480378503688-1143904990.jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get mostly loggers or homeowner abused saws i usually have to pressure wash them before i work on them but i knew this one was rough on the upside i got a free non decomp topend carb and electrical system he just wanted the tank and av bushings.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took this little guy out to the wood shed to test cut and final set the carburetor. Was a bit of a journey on the repair. Saw was handed to me with another basket case for parts. Went from one issue to the next, rebuilt carburetor, installed new fuel and oil lines with a sintered connector and a duck bill valve in the oil tank to not only make the oiler work, but allow the engine to run as well. Also put a new duck bill valve in the fuel tank. Tore out points and condenser and installed a new Walbro modulated coil, after first trying a NOVA II with the original coil, gave excellent spark but not any where near the right time to light the fire. Saw already had a NOS piston and rings installed, so was worth some effort to get it in running order. I also got pretty fast at plucking the little motor from its shell. LOL

IMG_20161205_191029_931.jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got several of those they are still fun to limb with. I just left the points in thats what i grew up with.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would have left them in had they worked, decision was made by owner to upgrade to electronic. Wanted to share that the NOVA II module was not a fit for this saw, and that other options were available from Walbro.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No room to work one in a stihl 015 so i replaced the condensor.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the 015 is pretty tight, can be done though, had to get pretty creative, tucked a NOVA II in a crook at the bottom of the case on this one, and epoxied it to it.These also have an adjustable flywheel key setting for timing, turned it as far advanced as it would go, the little guy really ran like a champ after that.

Wish I knew the reason one saw runs great with the AM module and one won't, guess that will be for another day.

IMG_20160520_140830_657.jpg

IMG_20160520_140853_469.jpg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Again not much cutting other than a couple of test cuts out in the wood shed.Stihl 036turned into a MS360. This saw made its way to me as a crushed and blown loggers saw. Yes he crushed it wired and taped together and ran it till it blew. It really should have been a parts saw, it was that bad of shape. I got the idea to do an all AM parts build along with whatever I could salvage and see how everything co-mingled together, as I needed a loaner saw to give out while saws are in the shop, so a shop saw. FarmerTec was chosen for the piston, crankcase, tank handle, top covers etc. HL Supply was used for the front handle, bar and chain, gaskets and seals etc. Original parts salvaged were cylinder(Mastermind cleanup method used) crankshaft, starter, carburetor from a MS360 and rebuilt, brake handle, hardware, muffler, clutch and cover. Only one OEM part was used and that was the oil line.
Everything went together good other than the oil line presented challenges that were worked through. The clutch side seal did not survive the crankshaft installation process and was replaced. All parts fit with each other very well. Cylinder ports were smoothed and polished, squish worked out to .027", no mods to saw were done. Saw stated and ran fine and an initial tune given. Everything is working as it should and seemed to run very strong for a stock saw. So for now this will stay in the win column, will be interesting to see how these parts last over time.

IMG_20161217_173101_691.jpg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one will be the Christmas Report, on the MS440 I went through in summer for my friend, that bought it for his son for Christmas. Well I have been getting feedback that Dale is ecstatic and both father and son are happy.

IMG_20160906_172824_095.jpg

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20170211_161311.jpg
20170211_161314.jpg
20170211_161326.jpg

Helped my buddy Michael take some trees out of his yard Saturday. Two Maples and three Pears, he had a new septic system put in and the roots all got tore up so they were dying. Dropped them all with my new MOFO 034 Super. Saws used were said 034, a MOFO MS 460, Lone Wolf 020T, a 372 XP and a 346 XP. The 034 and 346 got used the most, once on the ground it was a bunch of limb work/breaking down tops.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I posted about this saw elsewhere here, thought I'd talk a little more in depth about the build. Used an old parts saw cases and crankshaft to get this build started, pretty much scrounged every last part right down to the last screw not leaving anything it would have came with out. Should be easy, I've all I need right here(enter laughter), why my brain enters parts into inventory but never checks them out, I'll never know, but that's another story. A pair of Cross bearings were installed with a set of Hyway seals. A FarmerTec cylinder with the exhaust port polished, that was a very exceptional specimen was chosen as a decompression valve was desired. It went on with no base gasket and Three Bond keeping things sealed up left the squish at .028", not ideal but darn close. Old flywheel was used and advanced .020". old oil pump and clutch were used with an Oregon drum and sprocket, HL Supply brake covering them up. Old tank handle new FarmerTec front handle, top cover and starter with the rope replaced with Stens professional. A Raisman muffler was modified with a second outlet and baffle changed. A after market carb was decided on as I did not trust the HS's that I have left, so I changed the inlet lever spring with a real Tillotson one to keep things like they should be. Rounding out the build whatever rubber and small parts needed were straight from Husqvarna. Once primed I was anxious to see what was to be with this new creation, after springing to life for the first time I could tell by the sound there was something good going on here. After getting the carb set in a piece of wood, I really did have a nice saw here, much much nicer than my own saw with an original Mahle cylinder also set up the same. I would be willing to wager she'll beat up on a stock 372 pretty good. One thing I wish I had done in hindsight is check the timing numbers to see what was so different about this cylinder. Maybe if it returns for a check up some day I can do that but for now it's gone for its new owner to cut with. Surely this rig would benefit from the ports being widened a bit, maybe another day when the operator is ready for that sort of thing. So for now I'm quite happy with the outcome and goes to show with just a little bit of know how and a little more of can do, good results are obtainable from a thirty year old pile of parts and some new ones thrown in the mix. SS

IMG_20170227_145407216.jpg

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cant figure out why people lean out saws so much.
I go over and cut on the woodpile of my old saw mech on occassion. He complains that I run mine a lil fat. Sooo? They live long and have torque, just the way Ilikeit.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old McCulloch 10-10, needed carburetor service and a fuel line and filter. These things are amazing one pull starters and still chug along like they always did. With a good sharp chain it sings right through the wood just like a new one. Will singe the hairs in your ear though if you are not careful. No muffler modification is necessary here. Lol

IMG_20170418_142605354.jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I posted about this saw elsewhere here, thought I'd talk a little more in depth about the build. Used an old parts saw cases and crankshaft to get this build started, pretty much scrounged every last part right down to the last screw not leaving anything it would have came with out. Should be easy, I've all I need right here(enter laughter), why my brain enters parts into inventory but never checks them out, I'll never know, but that's another story. A pair of Cross bearings were installed with a set of Hyway seals. A FarmerTec cylinder with the exhaust port polished, that was a very exceptional specimen was chosen as a decompression valve was desired. It went on with no base gasket and Three Bond keeping things sealed up left the squish at .028", not ideal but darn close. Old flywheel was used and advanced .020". old oil pump and clutch were used with an Oregon drum and sprocket, HL Supply brake covering them up. Old tank handle new FarmerTec front handle, top cover and starter with the rope replaced with Stens professional. A Raisman muffler was modified with a second outlet and baffle changed. A after market carb was decided on as I did not trust the HS's that I have left, so I changed the inlet lever spring with a real Tillotson one to keep things like they should be. Rounding out the build whatever rubber and small parts needed were straight from Husqvarna. Once primed I was anxious to see what was to be with this new creation, after springing to life for the first time I could tell by the sound there was something good going on here. After getting the carb set in a piece of wood, I really did have a nice saw here, much much nicer than my own saw with an original Mahle cylinder also set up the same. I would be willing to wager she'll beat up on a stock 372 pretty good. One thing I wish I had done in hindsight is check the timing numbers to see what was so different about this cylinder. Maybe if it returns for a check up some day I can do that but for now it's gone for its new owner to cut with. Surely this rig would benefit from the ports being widened a bit, maybe another day when the operator is ready for that sort of thing. So for now I'm quite happy with the outcome and goes to show with just a little bit of know how and a little more of can do, good results are obtainable from a thirty year old pile of parts and some new ones thrown in the mix. SS

View attachment 58201
50mm farmertec or 52mm.
I've got three 50mm that have been good runners
The 52mm have been even better runners.