The Cut Report - After the Bench

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I havent cut with it yet but i got my other husky 2100 fired up. I bought it with no spark so i checked the kill switch, no fix. Checked plug wire as best i could, no fix. Pulled the flywheel to inspect wires better. Put it back together and now it has spark. I put gas in it and it runs. No idea what i did but i'm not complaining.
1020161411.jpg
Its the one on the left.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seeing as there is not a split report, this will have to do. I thought some of the stuff I revive is silly this probably takes the cake. Had four new Timken roller bearings pressed on for me in both the main and jack shaft. Original engine had digested part of the oil ring ruining the cylinder. With everything being basically built around the motor a new replacement was ruled out. After going through many old motors one from an old cement finisher was used for the bottom end. Had a new piston knurled in a lathe for me and fit new rings. Gutted the points ignition and fitted a modulated coil with a different flywheel. Had a new cam cover machined to fit crankshaft side clearance. Rebuilt carburetor, topped with a new air filter and spark plug.

Thing fired right up and purrs right along like a champ. After splitting a bit of wood, it became obvious that the old worn out motor was not making anywhere near the full three horse power it was supposed to have. Pretty happy to have my "screwy" splitter back out on the wood shed.

IMG_20161110_163302_880.jpg

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just be careful with those!, Have heard they are dangerous.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just be careful with those!, Have heard they are dangerous.

Yeah, the government terror report, I know, I've read it.
I have this mounted permanently up high on a stand so that I can not inadvertently bump into the rotating screw. Besides at my age I need a little thrill in my life. Lots of dangerous things in this world, like chainsaws for example, tens of thousands more accidents than these splitters, yet they are not banned like these were by a over protective government agent.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
we need videos of this thing
Seeing as there is not a split report, this will have to do. I thought some of the stuff I revive is silly this probably takes the cake. Had four new Timken roller bearings pressed on for me in both the main and jack shaft. Original engine had digested part of the oil ring ruining the cylinder. With everything being basically built around the motor a new replacement was ruled out. After going through many old motors one from an old cement finisher was used for the bottom end. Had a new piston knurled in a lathe for me and fit new rings. Gutted the points ignition and fitted a modulated coil with a different flywheel. Had a new cam cover machined to fit crankshaft side clearance. Rebuilt carburetor, topped with a new air filter and spark plug.

Thing fired right up and purrs right along like a champ. After splitting a bit of wood, it became obvious that the old worn out motor was not making anywhere near the full three horse power it was supposed to have. Pretty happy to have my "screwy" splitter back out on the wood shed.

View attachment 40480

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, the government terror report, I know, I've read it.
I have this mounted permanently up high on a stand so that I can not inadvertently bump into the rotating screw. Besides at my age I need a little thrill in my life. Lots of dangerous things in this world, like chainsaws for example, tens of thousands more accidents than these splitters, yet they are not banned like these were by a over protective government agent.

I just don't want you to become "ole stumpy".

Vid:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy *s-wordake mushrooms that looks dangerous but I love it have you seen the guy that turn an old John Deere Baler into a wood splitter that thing is fast

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy *s-wordake mushrooms that looks dangerous but I love it have you seen the guy that turn an old John Deere Baler into a wood splitter that thing is fast
That baler splitter gives dangerous a whole new meaning.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got an old Homelite XL 98 cut off saw... put in a new carb kit, new fuel lines, newish fuel filter. It will run fine at part to wide open throttle (and 4 strokes/burbles too) but won't idle... very little to no spit back into the airbox. (it has reed valve induction) Will pop on choke readily.

Spark plug has not been replaced yet. Coil to flywheel gap is pretty tight but it does run. Crank seals are original as far as I know. Only thing I did not do to the carb is pull the welsh plugs and clean behind those. Otherwise the carb has been cleaned thoroughly.

Any ideas? And thanks in advance.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got an old Homelite XL 98 cut off saw... put in a new carb kit, new fuel lines, newish fuel filter. It will run fine at part to wide open throttle (and 4 strokes/burbles too) but won't idle... very little to no spit back into the airbox. (it has reed valve induction) Will pop on choke readily.

Spark plug has not been replaced yet. Coil to flywheel gap is pretty tight but it does run. Crank seals are original as far as I know. Only thing I did not do to the carb is pull the welsh plugs and clean behind those. Otherwise the carb has been cleaned thoroughly.

Any ideas? And thanks in advance.

While it is very hard to help diagnose something that one can not see or hear, I would tend to think by what you have said that you almost answered your own question. Do the simple things first and place a new fuel filter in the saw just in case the newish one is not up to the challenge. Still no go, then I would suggest going back into that carburetor, making sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed and while you're in there pull the welch plugs and check that all of the idle circuits are clean. Also double check that the inlet lever is at right height, gasket on right side and so on. Somewhere in there is your gremlin so to speak. Good luck with your repair, those old Homelite saws usually run forever with very little TLC.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just log tuned the MS360 that I replaced the carburetor on yesterday with an aftermarket version. One thing I noticed was that when turning the screws it seemed that it took a pretty long swing to get it to change, not that it's necessarily a bad thing, ran fine otherwise. Started in two pulls with the factory setting and stayed running, not too bad I'd say, one point for the aftermarket.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just log tuned the MS360 that I replaced the carburetor on yesterday with an aftermarket version. One thing I noticed was that when turning the screws it seemed that it took a pretty long swing to get it to change, not that it's necessarily a bad thing, ran fine otherwise. Started in two pulls with the factory setting and stayed running, not too bad I'd say, one point for the aftermarket.
Found the same Steve on non OEM carbs iv put on Stihl 024 saws iv done .

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found the same Steve on non OEM carbs iv put on Stihl 024 saws iv done .

I've found the same sort of thing on the carb that came with my Hutzel/Farmertec MS361.

It seems the Asians feel one size fits all for metering lever springs.
9f99f5502a3b0a07cb475394bcc513f4.jpg

Saw started/ran much better with the short one.

Best running 60 class saw I've put together.
bdc35008fe6edda7c1602a4adb6c5b5f.jpg

Slabs are more useful than cookies.

Asian clone.
d58561e206f69f56056413c3b9828cc4.jpg

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've found the same sort of thing on the carb that came with my Hutzel/Farmertec MS361.

It seems the Asians feel one size fits all for metering lever springs.
9f99f5502a3b0a07cb475394bcc513f4.jpg

Saw started/ran much better with the short one.

Best running 60 class saw I've put together.
bdc35008fe6edda7c1602a4adb6c5b5f.jpg

Slabs are more useful than cookies.

Asian clone.
d58561e206f69f56056413c3b9828cc4.jpg
Il have a compare with the pop off pressure on a OEM carb and a Non OEM carb and see if there is a big difference indicating what the spring pressure is like.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worked on the XL 98 again today... further carb cleaning helped a little bit. I warmed it up and got it to idle. (a bit of a high idle, but still, it idled) But adjusting the low jet out (richening mixture) it actually picked up idle speed, then a moment later, it stopped running.

I had the low jet out about one turn before I started messing with it and turning it out further. Normally that is about where it needs to be to make saws run.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm... quiet around here. Crickets aren't even chirping...

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got the Craftsman 3.7 running. I like it! Haven't got the carb dialed in yet.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got an interesting 288 in i will try to get good pics tomorrow.

jeepsnchainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I put another HOMELITE SXLAO together in the past few days. Used it today to drop n chop a good sized hazard Red Oak. Pieces of this tree have been coming down for weeks, knew it was hollow, but not that hollow!
Saw has all new bearings and seals, new piston and gapless rings, upgraded to solid state ignition, ported the intake, new muffler with mod, new 24" bar and chain and an old dirty plug :)
Cuts GREAT!
I'm so happy with it I could cut trees down just for fun... Yeah right, my back hurts.image.jpeg